September 21, 2014, 04:40:50 PM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)  (Read 18275 times)

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
Just check mine and yes, turning off and on the linked AF points does make the problem appear and disappear.

Thanks!

...as well as the AFMA settings.  Changing to a C mode will zero out your AFMA settings if you had not set them and saved them in the C mode first.

That shouldn't be the case.  At least, it's not for me (nor on my 5DII or 7D).

Same here, changing the "orientation linked af point" to "select separate AF points" is the CULPRIT!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »

ThomasBx

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
Sorry, my english is not very good (I'm french).

Ok, sorry, in fact, it works...  ;D

I have done with the [00] and [01].
I thought this value in [] increase by the same type of lens for differents of 24-105 (if you have several 24-105)for example and not for all the lens.
I think I'm not awake today   ;)

I explain step by step the procedure I made :
1)My EF 24-105L is mounted (lens not chipped for serial number).
2) I turn on power.
3)The orientation-linked AF point setting is left on default.
4) Reset all setting AFMA's
5) The 1DX see [00]EF 24-105. I enter a serial number and AFMA's.
6) I turn off and turn on the power for checking memory settings : it's OK.
7) I turn off the power and I mount a 40mm pancake.
8) I turn on the power, my camera see the [01] EF 40 STM.
9) Serial number lens is recognized, I set AFMA's.
10) I turn off and turn on the power for checking memory settings : it's OK
11) I turn off the power.
12) I mount again the EF 24-105 and turn on the power.
13) The 1Dx see [00]24-105 with the good AFMA's recorded and the good serial number.

Ok, the AFMA's settings are recorded inside the 1DX  :P

It works same way on the 5D3.

Canon now knows how to repair this bug  8)

Thank you very much to neuroanatomist and trowski !

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
Response from Canon Tech Support:

Quote from: Canon Tech Support
I have sent this information to our engineers for review.  Please keep an eye on our website for any firmware updates that may become available to resolve this issue.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

trowski

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »

I have sent this information to our engineers for review.  Please keep an eye on our website for any firmware updates that may become available to resolve this issue.

I guess that's another way of saying "We were able to replicate this issue on the 1D X's that we have and have notified the programmers that they have a bug to fix."

Wonder if I can get a good job sticker for the debugging I did for them (or perhaps something a little nicer than a sticker)?  ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
Wonder if I can get a good job sticker for the debugging I did for them (or perhaps something a little nicer than a sticker)?

Here you go...   :P 

justaphotographer

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
A new development in this issue (seems to affect both 1Dx and 5D3).  Wanted to see if anyone else noticed this.  After setting the AFMA if you take a picture while in AF-SERVO and then review the picture on the back of the LCD (hit the info button during playback so you can see maximum information about the photo) you will see the micro-adjustment noted.

However, if you take a picture while on ONE-SHOT and then review that image on the LCD you will notice that the micro-adjustment is NOT noted.  It is 100% repeatable on both the 1Dx and 5D3.

When I bring the images into Canon's DPP it also only shows the micro-adjustment setting on photos that were taken when the camera was in AF-SERVO.  What I can not determine though is if this is only a visual bug or if in fact micro-adjustments are only being used when shooting in AF-SERVO mode.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:04:32 PM by justaphotographer »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »
A new development in this issue (seems to affect both 1Dx and 5D3).  Wanted to see if anyone else noticed this.  After setting the AFMA if you take a picture while in AF-SERVO and then review the picture on the back of the LCD (hit the info button during playback so you can see maximum information about the photo) you will see the micro-adjustment noted.

However, if you take a picture while on ONE-SHOT and then review that image on the LCD you will notice that the micro-adjustment is NOT noted.  It is 100% repeatable on both the 1Dx and 5D3.

When I bring the images into Canon's DPP it also only shows the micro-adjustment setting on photos that were taken when the camera was in AF-SERVO.  What I can not determine though is if this is only a visual bug or if in fact micro-adjustments are only being used when shooting in AF-SERVO mode.

Quick way to test would be to set your micro adjustment to waaaay off like -20 and take both shots.  One should be mostly in focus and one should be waaaay blurry or both will be waaaay blurry.  I'll test when I get back to my equipment (1DX).

-Darrin
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »

justaphotographer

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »
Hey Darrin,

That is a great suggestion and I can't believe I didn't think of that.  I did that very test just now and the good news is that from the looks of it, it seems to be a visual only problem and micro adjustment changes seem to have an affect on the overall image focus even in ONE-SHOT.  I have notified CPS.

Quick way to test would be to set your micro adjustment to waaaay off like -20 and take both shots.  One should be mostly in focus and one should be waaaay blurry or both will be waaaay blurry.  I'll test when I get back to my equipment (1DX).

-Darrin

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »

The AFMA value is only recorded in the EXIF data if the camera is actively focusing when the shot is taken.  If you are using back-button AF (as I do), a common practice in One Shot is to press then release the AF-ON button before pressing the shutter button (I do this routinely, with only a very short lag between the two steps).  DOing that, the AFMA offset is applied during focusing, but the value isn't recorded.  If you keep the AF-ON button pressed as you press the shutter, you should find the AFMA value recorded in the EXIF.

Note that the ability to display the AF point(s) selected for the shot behaves exactly the same way - if you use back-button AF and press then release the AF-ON button before taking the shot, the AF point(s) used do not show up when you select the option to show them in DPP.  The solution is the same - keep holding AF-ON when you press the shutter.

It's like this on the 5DII and 7D, as well, which sort of makes sense - the camera only records the focusing data if focusing is active when the shot is taken. 

Side note, I've been doing my AFMAs using the manual option in FoCal, and I had to re-train myself to keep the AF-ON button pressed when depressing the shutter, since FoCal needs the AFMA value in the EXIF to do it's calculations.

Hopefully that solves your (non?) issue...   :)

Below is a screenshot showing the AFMA value recorded in One Shot on my 1D X.

justaphotographer

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »
Neuroanatomist,

Thank you so much and you are correct.  CPS didn't say all that you said, but in working this out we discovered (actually I suggested it strangely enough) that the problem (not really a problem) was with how AF was mapped.  As soon as I mapped the AF to the shutter button the MA showed up (just as you suggested).  Glad this was a non-issue.  I just happened to notice while reviewing my images that some showed it and others didn't.  Contrary to what you wrote though, the older 5D Mark II does not behave this way.  I just tested it.  I mapped the 5D2 to use AF on the back button and even in ONE-SHOT (after I've released the AF button) the camera does still record the MA.  Regardless, this appears to be a visual difference between older cameras and the current batch.  I can live with that.  Thanks Neuro for your always helpful posts.

The AFMA value is only recorded in the EXIF data if the camera is actively focusing when the shot is taken.  If you are using back-button AF (as I do), a common practice in One Shot is to press then release the AF-ON button before pressing the shutter button (I do this routinely, with only a very short lag between the two steps).  DOing that, the AFMA offset is applied during focusing, but the value isn't recorded.  If you keep the AF-ON button pressed as you press the shutter, you should find the AFMA value recorded in the EXIF.

Note that the ability to display the AF point(s) selected for the shot behaves exactly the same way - if you use back-button AF and press then release the AF-ON button before taking the shot, the AF point(s) used do not show up when you select the option to show them in DPP.  The solution is the same - keep holding AF-ON when you press the shutter.

It's like this on the 5DII and 7D, as well, which sort of makes sense - the camera only records the focusing data if focusing is active when the shot is taken. 

Side note, I've been doing my AFMAs using the manual option in FoCal, and I had to re-train myself to keep the AF-ON button pressed when depressing the shutter, since FoCal needs the AFMA value in the EXIF to do it's calculations.

Hopefully that solves your (non?) issue...   :)

Below is a screenshot showing the AFMA value recorded in One Shot on my 1D X.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
Glad that sorted your issue.  Thanks for the info on the 5DII - I do know that it doesn't record the AF point used unless it's actively focusing, and assumed that applied to the AFMA value as well.  As you did, I observed the behavior on my 1D X.  Since it was recorded on the 5DII even when not actively focusing, it seems Canon made a decision to not record it on the newer cameras.  Might be because if you tweak the focus manually, that would obviate the AFMA setting.  Regardless, it is what it is, and at least this does not seem to be another bug.

ThomasBx

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Quick question :
Do you think all the 1Dx are affected by this Af MA problem ????
It's very difficult find a answer in different forums...

I ask this because I'm lucky to have maybe a new 1Dx in exchange next week  ;)

Neuro, trowsky, an answer please ?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure that they are all affected, since it seems to be a firmware bug.  Canon service told both Trowski and me initially that they could not replicate the bug. After Trowski figured out how to 'cause' it, and I told Canon that, their response was that they would pass the information along to their engineers, and to be on the lookout for a firmware update.  I'm sure they are not inclined to admit fault, but that sounds to me like they are acknowledging they are able to replicate the issue on their 1D X bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »

ThomasBx

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »
I'm pretty sure that they are all affected, since it seems to be a firmware bug.  Canon service told both Trowski and me initially that they could not replicate the bug. After Trowski figured out how to 'cause' it, and I told Canon that, their response was that they would pass the information along to their engineers, and to be on the lookout for a firmware update.  I'm sure they are not inclined to admit fault, but that sounds to me like they are acknowledging they are able to replicate the issue on their 1D X bodies.

Thank's neuro.

So, for you, it's not necessary that I change to a new 1dx ?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
So, for you, it's not necessary that I change to a new 1dx ?

I wouldn't think so.  A couple of people earlier in the thread who reportedly didn't have the AMFA issue stated that enabling the orientation-sensitive AF point option caused them to have their AFMAs apparently zeroed out. 

I wonder if there's anyone out there who does not have the bug occur when they turn on the orientation sensitive option - so far, no one has reported that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »