October 22, 2014, 07:34:38 PM

Author Topic: If Canon wants to kill off Nikon/Sony/Pentax drop APS-C and Go APS-H  (Read 20898 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
The next 7D with an aps-h sensor like the 1dm4 would kill! I'd buy it. Sensor size has always been one of the largest points of any camera. Bigger sensored cameras have more photo-site space and with gapless lens technology on the 1DX and 5DM3 its a big win over the Nikons non-D series sports cameras. Its also a win over Sony and others that are 1.5 or 1.6 crop. This would separate the 7d from the two digit series cameras like the 60d. It would kind of take the old helm of the sports camera but in the middle spot the 1dm2/3/4 held.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:52:25 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: If Canon wants to kill off Nikon/Sony/Pentax drop APS-C and Go APS-H
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
Dropping users with the 10's of millions of EF-S lenses would more likely kill Canon. 
The APS-C / EF-s market makes up most of Canon's DSLR sales, and they are eating Nikon and Sony's lunch.
I love APS-H, but I do not see Canon killing off themselves purposely. If low cost FF cameras are actually coming out, our APS-H bodies may be the last of a 20 year run. (My Kodak DCS 460 from 1995).
APS-H was originally made due to lithography limitations, it was te largest senso size that could be made with one pass.  The restriction is lifted now, and 12 inch wafers are used instead of 8 in wafers to give better yield.
There really are no compelling reasons to keep churning them out.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
The next 7D with an aps-h sensor like the 1dm4 would kill! I'd buy it. Sensor size has always been one of the largest points of any camera. Bigger sensored cameras have more photo-site space and with gapless lens technology on the 1DX and 5DM3 its a big win over the Nikons non-D series sports cameras. Its also a win over Sony and others that are 1.5 or 1.6 crop. This would separate the 7d from the two digit series cameras like the 60d. It would kind of take the old helm of the sports camera but in the middle spot the 1dm2/3/4 held.

Amen Brother! [puts on robe and dances around with hands in air]
APS-H Fanboy

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
Dropping users with the 10's of millions of EF-S lenses would more likely kill Canon. 
The APS-C / EF-s market makes up most of Canon's DSLR sales, and they are eating Nikon and Sony's lunch.
I love APS-H, but I do not see Canon killing off themselves purposely. If low cost FF cameras are actually coming out, our APS-H bodies may be the last of a 20 year run. (My Kodak DCS 460 from 1995).
APS-H was originally made due to lithography limitations, it was te largest senso size that could be made with one pass.  The restriction is lifted now, and 12 inch wafers are used instead of 8 in wafers to give better yield.
I thought i offered compelling reasons. Lol
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
Maybe for you and me, but if you have a 10-22mm , 17-85mm ef-s, or 15-85mm ef-s, you might see it differently,  In fact, now that I think about it, I do have a 15-85mm ef-s for my 7D. i'm not worried though, their will be a adapter for the new Canon mirrorless.  (Now, there was a chance to use APS-H, but likely missed)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
I think it comes down to production costs. The Aps-h gets far fewer sensors per sensor wafer made than the aps-c, I wonder how that plays out in the 12in size sensor wafers. And yes they could have done a service by throwing that in a mirrorless or the G1X.
I guess when Canon went to FF those same concerns about lenses applied but then theres always the double digit cameras to use with those just as it was before the 7d.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
agreed mirrorless was the perfect platform to bring APS-H back and it completely dominate

BALL= DROPPED
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »

You were wrong. You didn't.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »

Agreed. It would rape aps-c. Now if canon could retro-fit EF-S to aps-h... ::)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »

Thanks for your input.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

Thanks for your input.

You are welcome. Sorry if I offended you, but this topic has been beaten to death and nothing new has been added by this thread. Mt. Spokane's response said it all.

You are a wedding photographer. If you feel strongly about APS-H, then explain how it would be superior for your profession to the 5DIII which Canon targeted specifically to wedding photographers (among others). If you can build a compelling case as to why APS-H would give you something you can't get and need with the 5DIII, then that would add to the conversation.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »

With Canon's archaic sensor tech, I really doubt they would want to fiddle with sensor sizes. They even had to get rid of the APS-H sensor. Canon can compete by offering other value added features such as frame rates, JPG engines, touch screens, 4K video, 60 to 120p, rate buttons, print buttons, email buttons, and even Facebook browsing.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

Thanks for your input.

insightfull as ever too i see
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

Careful you don't fall off the barstool there, Sparky.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
You are a wedding photographer. If you feel strongly about APS-H, then explain how it would be superior for your profession to the 5DIII which Canon targeted specifically to wedding photographers (among others). If you can build a compelling case as to why APS-H would give you something you can't get and need with the 5DIII, then that would add to the conversation.

An APS-H body is a great complementary body to shoot with full frame
I would much rather shoot a 16-35 f2.8L II on an APS-H body (20mm to 46mm) than the current 24-70 on full frame coupled with a full frame body and 85 f1.4 you can shoot pretty much everything
I cant wait to see the new 24-70 to see if it can make this reason for using APS-H at weddings redundant
even though sometimes i find the 24mm wide end a little tight however now I have the 20mm voigtlander pancake this can be quite easily solved for those select shots where I want to go to 20mm

IMO I would not pay someone to shoot my wedding with an APS-C camera
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »