July 28, 2015, 04:17:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L  (Read 26863 times)

time123

• Power Shot G7X
Re: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2015, 12:46:45 AM »
Quick question to you other 17mm TS-E owners out there: I just purchased a used 17mm and noticed that the tilt and shift knobs are a little loose and have a little play in them; meaning I can rotate them perhaps a millimeter without them doing anything for either tilt or shift. The screws holding them in are tight. I saw a brave soul who removed his tilt and shift knobs here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23269.msg454250#msg454250 . Everything on the lens appears to be working perfectly and I ran some sharpness tests and there is no problem there but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this looseness, if there was a remedy, or if this was anything to be concerned about. Thanks!

I just undid the screws in the tops of them and they pull off. Be careful as the little shaft is not attached to the bigger shaft and can fall out if you aren't careful. I can't understand how there is play on yours though unless one or more of the washers as in the photos are missing, there is a little bit of backlash in them (about 20º) but no lifting. Don't worry about the backlash it is normal.

OK, that is good to know. The knobs don't move vertically so there is no lifting, only a little bit of rotating so it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. This is the most expensive lens I've ever purchased used and due to the mechanical complexity of a lens like this I was just a bit concerned. Thanks for the quick reply!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:39:05 AM by time123 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2015, 12:46:45 AM »

d

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2015, 04:32:11 AM »
Quick question to you other 17mm TS-E owners out there: I just purchased a used 17mm and noticed that the tilt and shift knobs are a little loose and have a little play in them; meaning I can rotate them perhaps a millimeter without them doing anything for either tilt or shift. The screws holding them in are tight. I saw a brave soul who removed his tilt and shift knobs here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23269.msg454250#msg454250 . Everything on the lens appears to be working perfectly and I ran some sharpness tests and there is no problem there but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this looseness, if there was a remedy, or if this was anything to be concerned about. Thanks!

I just undid the screws in the tops of them and they pull off. Be careful as the little shaft is not attached to the bigger shaft and can fall out if you aren't careful. I can't understand how there is play on yours though unless one or more of the washers as in the photos are missing, there is a little bit of backlash in them (about 20º) but no lifting. Don't worry about the backlash it is normal.

OK, that is good to know. The knobs don't move vertically so there is no lifting, only a little bit of rotating so it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. This is the most expensive lens I've ever purchased used and due to the mechanical complexity of a lens like this I was just a bit concerned. Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a 24 TS-E II I bought new late last year and it's the same - bit of backlash with the knobs.  I was a little concerned and took it back to the dealer to check out, but it was no different from others and a hire one they had was worse.

So like others have said, it's normal.

Cheers,
d.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2015, 04:32:11 AM »