September 21, 2014, 08:24:21 AM

Author Topic: Thank you 5D Mark III AF System...  (Read 4846 times)

SandyP

Thank you 5D Mark III AF System...
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Without manually focusing, even on the 5D2 this would have been extremely difficult. But the 5D3 made it quite easy! She was moving quite fast. It's from a recent wedding we shot the other weekend. The flower girl on the swing set. :)

Flower Girl by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Thank you 5D Mark III AF System...
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »

ChrisAnderson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you 5D Mark III AF System...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
do you remember what AF settings you were using?  I've had difficulty getting fast enough focus for objects that move directly towards the camera (ie, the person's ears will be in the focus plane by the time the image is taken)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
I haven't had a chance to put the AF through its paces yet. I've barely had chance to to attempt some macro shots in my back garden, not ideal in strong winds :P. My initial high ISO tests indicate that ISO 12,800 would be fine in print (the noise is pretty much invisible with slight NR in LR at 50%). The images were soft though, hopefully due to motion blur.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

SandyP

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
I have it set to basic Profile #2 for most things in the AF menu. I use the smallest AF points only, and only the cross type ones. I have it set so that it automatically changes AF points when you go from horizontal to vertical shooting. It helps a lot in fast situations. I also have it set so that the DOF preview button, when pressed and held down, changes the camera from ONE SHOT to AI SERVO, so it gives me the best of both worlds. Took me about 1 day of shooting to get used to that, now it just feels normal. And works quite well.

Any camera will have trouble, at f/4, this close to a subject, coming in and out of focus like that, towards the camera.... no camera system, other than manual focusing will really give you great consistent results. But the 5D Mark III does pretty darn good at it if you ask me, which is pretty impressive. I got off a few more shots of her that were not perfect or "good" focus, they were OK for focus, but it didn't take too many attempts to get it perfect. Also, her face or hair or whatever wasn't perfect for most, so this just worked well.

Good technique still is the best bet. I was tracking her with the DOF preview AI SERVO technique, and waiting for the split second where she's hanging in the air at the end of the swing motion, and then taking the photo. The 5D3 did very well. If I wanted to make it far easier I could have stopped down to f/6.3 or f/7.1 and taken a step back, and it would have been far easier. But I still wanted some bokeh background. :)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:17:14 AM »
Without manually focusing, even on the 5D2 this would have been extremely difficult. But the 5D3 made it quite easy! She was moving quite fast. It's from a recent wedding we shot the other weekend. The flower girl on the swing set. :)

What a little cutie...nice shot.  I was reading your comment on holding dof button down to switch from one shot to servo, I do this too but I wish you didn't have to hold it in.  It would be nice if you could just push it once to switch, and push again to switch back....I wonder why they made it that way or am I missing something?
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

SandyP

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »

What a little cutie...nice shot.  I was reading your comment on holding dof button down to switch from one shot to servo, I do this too but I wish you didn't have to hold it in.  It would be nice if you could just push it once to switch, and push again to switch back....I wonder why they made it that way or am I missing something?

I don't mind it, but really if you want to do it that way you can quickly switch to AI SERVO in the menu I guess, but I do know what you mean, but for me, I have pretty big hands and I find it to be pretty easy to do. It took me a few days, but now it feels pretty relaxed and natural to do. Definitely a neat feature if you can get the hang of it.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
One thing that always frustrated me with the 7D was its ability to focus against a textured background, such as trees. So far, it looks like the 5D MkIII copes much better.

Carrion Crows in Flight by Kernuak, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »

Hampshire

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
Awesome! Do you know if that´s possible to program to the Mark II too?

I have it set to basic Profile #2 for most things in the AF menu. I use the smallest AF points only, and only the cross type ones. I have it set so that it automatically changes AF points when you go from horizontal to vertical shooting. It helps a lot in fast situations. I also have it set so that the DOF preview button, when pressed and held down, changes the camera from ONE SHOT to AI SERVO, so it gives me the best of both worlds. Took me about 1 day of shooting to get used to that, now it just feels normal. And works quite well.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
Awesome! Do you know if that´s possible to program to the Mark II too?

The MkII AF is basic to say the least, there's very little you can do with it, beyond selecting an AF point.

SandyP

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 02:44:50 AM »
Yeah there's no way to program anything with the AF on the Mark II, unfortunately. A big reason why I upgraded.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
Yeah there's no way to program anything with the AF on the Mark II, unfortunately. A big reason why I upgraded.
Not that there is anything to program anyway :P.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

for me that would be like switching the focus from auto to off. If i forget i end up missing a few shots. Its a fail safe so you don't screw up a bunch of photos in my opinion. Large Aperture primes hunt a lot in servo mode if the subject isn't moving, its like it refuses to settle on the focus of the shot. This is all my cameras. Thats why i prefer to shoot servo on those rare occasions i am shooting movement like the bride and groom walking down the isle.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »

for me that would be like switching the focus from auto to off. If i forget i end up missing a few shots. Its a fail safe so you don't screw up a bunch of photos in my opinion. Large Aperture primes hunt a lot in servo mode if the subject isn't moving, its like it refuses to settle on the focus of the shot. This is all my cameras. Thats why i prefer to shoot servo on those rare occasions i am shooting movement like the bride and groom walking down the isle.

ok...that makes sense boss.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »

Any camera will have trouble, at f/4, this close to a subject, coming in and out of focus like that, towards the camera.... no camera system, other than manual focusing will really give you great consistent results. But the 5D Mark III does pretty darn good at it if you ask me, which is pretty impressive. I got off a few more shots of her that were not perfect or "good" focus, they were OK for focus, but it didn't take too many attempts to get it perfect. Also, her face or hair or whatever wasn't perfect for most, so this just worked well.

Good technique still is the best bet. I was tracking her with the DOF preview AI SERVO technique, and waiting for the split second where she's hanging in the air at the end of the swing motion, and then taking the photo. The 5D3 did very well. If I wanted to make it far easier I could have stopped down to f/6.3 or f/7.1 and taken a step back, and it would have been far easier. But I still wanted some bokeh background. :)

Thank you for sharing your setup!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »