July 22, 2014, 03:56:05 PM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 410929 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #840 on: May 20, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
1Dx 300f/2.8, Shot @ f/6.3 1/320th ISO1600

The choice on the day was Leopards, or, A pack of Wild Dog had come into the area, no choice, these Animals are not only Beautiful but severely endangered, so we looked for these Guys all day, finally found them hunting just on Sunset. The tall Grass made them, for me, exceptionally hard to shoot in the fading light, so every shot I tried with the Pack Running I blew, but everything stands still sometime.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #840 on: May 20, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 20, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

The choice on the day was Leopards, or, A pack of Wild Dog had come into the area, no choice, these Animals are not only Beautiful but severely endangered, so we looked for these Guys all day, finally found them hunting just on Sunset. The tall Grass made them, for me, exceptionally hard to shoot in the fading light, so every shot I tried with the Pack Running I blew, but everything stands still sometime.

Eml...I envy you...you cover such an incredible range of photography....and you do it very, very well...again, nice shot!
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #842 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
A couple of natalia the 1st with 3x 600 ex-rt's.

Natalia by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

This second one harsh sunlight directly on model i like the hard light and shadows it produces at times :)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »

This second one harsh sunlight directly on model i like the hard light and shadows it produces at times :)

Yes, I can see at least 2 600's in that first shot.

I'm starting to think I'm spending too much time in places like Tanzania, Botswana, Antarctica.

Great shot Bornshooter, especially the one first one, I like how the light falls on the......trees.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #844 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:33 AM »

Yes, I can see at least 2 600's in that first shot.

I'm starting to think I'm spending too much time in places like Tanzania, Botswana, Antarctica.

Great shot Bornshooter, especially the one first one, I like how the light falls on the......trees.

Thanks eml the 3 flashes were on a lastolite tri bracket :) and i would love to spend time in those places i would happily swap :)

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:12 AM »
Some of mine.  Went to the local zoo.  Just testing my recently acquired Canon 2x teleconverter III with my EF 70-200 f/2.8L II.  Gotta give you all a heads up that my shots do not come anywhere close to Gary Samples' and eml58's shots...composition and capture...theirs are just brilliant, jaw-dropping, and most importantly to me, inspiring.  Thank you both for sharing your images with everyone here.

Not taking away from everyone else's images...just that these two gents' images are what keeps me coming back to this thread.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »

Eml...I envy you...you cover such an incredible range of photography....and you do it very, very well...again, nice shot!

+1

So many great photographers and mentors on this site. I used to visit other websites...now, pretty much only this one. 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #846 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 21, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
Some of mine.  Went to the local zoo.  Just testing my recently acquired Canon 2x teleconverter III with my EF 70-200 f/2.8L II.  Gotta give you all a heads up that my shots do not come anywhere close to Gary Samples' and eml58's shots...composition and capture...theirs are just brilliant, jaw-dropping, and most importantly to me, inspiring.  Thank you both for sharing your images with everyone here.

Not taking away from everyone else's images...just that these two gents' images are what keeps me coming back to this thread.

Dwight...very nicely done. Makes me want to go to a zoo soon. :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 21, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

+1

So many great photographers and mentors on this site. I used to visit other websites...now, pretty much only this one. 8)

Exactly.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
Dwight, beautiful shots of subjects that might be less than "beautiful"...in the eye of the beholder of course!

I need a woman like Natalia...

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »

hi dwight...how's the 1dx treating you?

i like your second shot of the gorilla with the plant on his face....i like his expression!

remember when we were talking 6 months ago about counting actuations up to 1000, well now i'm somewhere closer to 30k lol...how about you?
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »

i think i speak for most here when i say..."bornshooter, don't stop posting!"

nice shots!   
Sport Shooter

Schultzie

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
I got quite dirty laying on the ground taking this one, but I think a little dirt was worth it.

100 2.8 L
1/125
f/8
ISO 200

Wet - HMM! [Explored] by SauceyJack, on Flickr
Canon 1DX | 35 1.4 L | 100 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 21, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
I use a Canon angle finder for that purpose.  ;)  But sometimes the effort makes it more valuable.  Nice shot.

I got quite dirty laying on the ground taking this one, but I think a little dirt was worth it.

100 2.8 L
1/125
f/8
ISO 200

Wet - HMM! [Explored] by SauceyJack, on Flickr

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
I've had to use recovery Sw in the past, not because the card failed, it was for a computer forensic investigation at work.  The recovery is very reliable.

I have heard of similar issues from people who never format their cf or sd cards, just delete the files and keep shooting.  You should reformat every time and in the case of sd cards it should be a low level format.

This would be a good topic for a new thread.  Probably just not here.

Hi Guys & Thankyou for the kind comments, something to share though, and not really re 1Dx Images, so a little off topic.

While I was shooting a few days ago I found that when I was part way into transferring Images from my CF Card to my MacPro (Images shot on my 1Dx), the download stopped & a message came up that the remaining files were corrupted. I had downloaded 5 of 338. Tried my MacBook Pro, and the message changed to "unable to download these files", put the Card back into the 1Dx, Camera wouldn't accept the Card but suggested a "re format", tried the card in both my 1dx Bodies & my 5DMK III Bodies, same story, somehow the CF Card had become corrupted.

I did a in Camera reformat of the Card & put it back into the 1Dx, shot off 50 Images & all worked just fine, no issues downloading to the computer.

Friend of mine suggested i should have tried Image retrieval software before re formatting, but it was too late of course, then I searched & found software called "Wondershare data Recovery", tried it, then bought it & it actually pulled off the CR2 Files from the CF Card, after re format, saved 326 of the Original CR2 Files. I imagine there's a lot of this software out there, but I just wasn't aware it could recover files after a Camera Re Format, in fact it recovered almost every file ever taken on that particular CF Card.

I would also note that I currently use Lexar Pro 1000x 128GB CF Cards, may have been an isolated incident, but for the future I've set my Bodies to Copy to two CF Cards at the same time on the 1Dx & to both the CF Card & SD Card on the 5DMK III, Unless both Cards Die, I'll always have two Copies in Camera. I had become complacent re the Cards reliability, clearly the CF/SD Cards do have issues from time to time.

Purpose of the Post is simply information, this was the first time I had had this issue and I was glad there was a reasonable resolution short of 100% loss of my files.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »