April 19, 2014, 09:18:34 PM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 333808 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1200 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »
Female Cheetah Cub, Serengeti, early morning light.

1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ 560mm f/6.3 & 1/1250th ISO800
This is an amazing image Eml... wiping the drool from my foot... Crazy nice, love the separation and the bokeh.  Great compression with your new 200-400mm... Love it!  :P

Ed...beautiful photos, amazing life you lead. 8)

Thanks Serendipidy, always thought if I was able to write a Book I'de call it "A Fortunate Life", you take what you can from it, give back where your able.
Edward, as always fantastic photos. What a great adventure.

Are you off to Iceland soon?
J

Ahhhh, Iceland, bit of a story there.

When we were boarding in Dar Es Salam Tanzania for South Africa, on South African Airways (Be aware, be very aware), the "Stewardess from Hell"  forcibly removed my Carry On Hard Case with my 2 x 5DMKIII & TSE17/TSE24, 8-15 & 24-70, at the Door, under complaint etc etc (11 Kilos instead of 8 Kilos (Her Guess), but it could have been black case instead of white case, who knows). They tagged the Case and of course it was the only Bag of that Flight that didn't make it to JoBurg, fortunately my Son was carrying the Guru Bag with the Long Lenses & 1Dx bodies (He's a Big Sherpa), they ignored that one, they particularly like Hard Cases in Africa, clearly expensive gear inside, and all of this Flying SAA Business Class, I think that's a euphemism for "Marked with a Laser Light for further action".

My Local Operator threatened Police Action, generally wrote Vicious Letters to SAA etc, made a Police Report, I had my Lawyer in Singapore threaten SAA with Legal Action (Waste of Time, but you gotta do it), 3 days before I was to leave South Africa, no WA gear, How do you Photograph Iceland with out Wide Angle, I cancelled all the Iceland Schedule, waste of time with a 200-400 & 400.

Then the day we were getting ready to leave our last Camp to head to JoBurg, my gear turned up, apparently SAA had just had the gear "Handed In" by persons unknown, location Dar Es Salam, so I picked it up on the way out in JoBurg.

It was covered all by Insurance, but the cancellation costs of Iceland weren't so that cost me 10k, still, it was 12k in Gear I was Happy to get back, lesson learnt, don't argue with a "Stewardess from Hell" disguised as a Lady, and don't carry Expensive Camera Gear in Hard Cases in Africa, it apparently has a 30% chance of being "Lost", and don't ever check in Camera gear (I don't, ever), and if the "Stewardess from Hell" wants your gear at the Door, have her refuse you boarding, that way it makes them re think as they would then need to delay the flight while they unload all your check in Bags. The problem with SAA is they wont let you Book an extra Seat as "Mr Gear", other airlines will, still it sort of ended Ok.

Heading to Svalbard with my eldest Lad mid August, shooting Polar Bear, I hope, 3 weeks on a small Freighter called the MV Stockholm.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1200 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #1201 on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:14 AM »

This is an amazing image Eml... wiping the drool from my foot... Crazy nice, love the separation and the bokeh.  Great compression with your new 200-400mm... Love it!  :P

Ed...beautiful photos, amazing life you lead. 8)

Thanks Serendipidy, always thought if I was able to write a Book I'de call it "A Fortunate Life", you take what you can from it, give back where your able.
Edward, as always fantastic photos. What a great adventure.

Are you off to Iceland soon?
J

Ahhhh, Iceland, bit of a story there.

When we were boarding in Dar Es Salam Tanzania for South Africa, on South African Airways (Be aware, be very aware), the "Stewardess from Hell"  forcibly removed my Carry On Hard Case with my 2 x 5DMKIII & TSE17/TSE24, 8-15 & 24-70, at the Door, under complaint etc etc (11 Kilos instead of 8 Kilos (Her Guess), but it could have been black case instead of white case, who knows). They tagged the Case and of course it was the only Bag of that Flight that didn't make it to JoBurg, fortunately my Son was carrying the Guru Bag with the Long Lenses & 1Dx bodies (He's a Big Sherpa), they ignored that one, they particularly like Hard Cases in Africa, clearly expensive gear inside, and all of this Flying SAA Business Class, I think that's a euphemism for "Marked with a Laser Light for further action".

My Local Operator threatened Police Action, generally wrote Vicious Letters to SAA etc, made a Police Report, I had my Lawyer in Singapore threaten SAA with Legal Action (Waste of Time, but you gotta do it), 3 days before I was to leave South Africa, no WA gear, How do you Photograph Iceland with out Wide Angle, I cancelled all the Iceland Schedule, waste of time with a 200-400 & 400.

Then the day we were getting ready to leave our last Camp to head to JoBurg, my gear turned up, apparently SAA had just had the gear "Handed In" by persons unknown, location Dar Es Salam, so I picked it up on the way out in JoBurg.

It was covered all by Insurance, but the cancellation costs of Iceland weren't so that cost me 10k, still, it was 12k in Gear I was Happy to get back, lesson learnt, don't argue with a "Stewardess from Hell" disguised as a Lady, and don't carry Expensive Camera Gear in Hard Cases in Africa, it apparently has a 30% chance of being "Lost", and don't ever check in Camera gear (I don't, ever), and if the "Stewardess from Hell" wants your gear at the Door, have her refuse you boarding, that way it makes them re think as they would then need to delay the flight while they unload all your check in Bags. The problem with SAA is they wont let you Book an extra Seat as "Mr Gear", other airlines will, still it sort of ended Ok.

Heading to Svalbard with my eldest Lad mid August, shooting Polar Bear, I hope, 3 weeks on a small Freighter called the MV Stockholm.
Wow that's a bit more adventure than you want really. Good that you got the gear back though. Amazing how 'lost' items can just re-appear when pressure is applied. Sounds a little like Cambodia... Good advice about SA.

Well I hope you'll enjoy Svalbard, I hear it's something special. Good choice of boat  ;) .

I look forward to see the pictures.

J

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »
Posted some shots of the Fires we encountered in The Serengeti Tanzania, made the trip just that little more exciting, racing along the sides of the Fire trying to see what was running from the Blaze.

the Wildebeest seemed mostly unconcerned, eating Grass within a few Inches of the Blaze, and occasionally paying the price.

These three shots all taken with the 1Dx & 200-400f/4 ISO800-1250, probably the one area where the 400f/2.8 comes into it's own, but I was Happy with the way the 200-400 handles the Low Light.

Click

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »
Awesome pictures Edward.  8) Stay safe.  ;)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

Thanks Click, talking of staying safe.

This Image is by no means my best, but on this trip it gave me the biggest rush and sense of accomplishment, I took the Image by laying on the Ground just outside the vehicle, Once the Herd saw me on the Ground, they slowly began to walk towards the Vehicle, not what I expected, I started shooting with the 70-200, but quickly had to get my Son to pass me the 24-70f/2.8 II, when this Image was taken the Herd were within 7 metres of me and gently rumbling to each other, don't know what was louder, their Rumbling or my Heartbeat, after a few minutes they slowly ambled off.

It was interesting that the Very Young Elephant Calf was constantly trying to get closer to me, but Mum kept putting her Trunk in the way to Hold the Calf back. You wouldn't try this in Seloise as the Elephants would charge you immediately you got out of the Vehicle due to Hunters culling in the Area. Here they've never been hunted so remain curious, mostly.

1Dx 24-70f/2.8 II, Shot @ 24mm f/7.1 & 1/1250th ISO800

Darlip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #1205 on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »

This Image is by no means my best, but on this trip it gave me the biggest rush and sense of accomplishment, I took the Image by laying on the Ground just outside the vehicle, Once the Herd saw me on the Ground, they slowly began to walk towards the Vehicle, not what I expected, I started shooting with the 70-200, but quickly had to get my Son to pass me the 24-70f/2.8 II, when this Image was taken the Herd were within 7 metres of me and gently rumbling to each other, don't know what was louder, their Rumbling or my Heartbeat, after a few minutes they slowly ambled off.

It was interesting that the Very Young Elephant Calf was constantly trying to get closer to me, but Mum kept putting her Trunk in the way to Hold the Calf back. You wouldn't try this in Seloise as the Elephants would charge you immediately you got out of the Vehicle due to Hunters culling in the Area. Here they've never been hunted so remain curious, mostly.

Great shot and I know the feeling of a rumbling heart, things can change fast with those big guys :)
70D | Sigma 17-70 | Canon 70-300L

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »

Great shot and I know the feeling of a rumbling heart, things can change fast with those big guys :)

Hi Darlip, Yes, your right, once your out of the vehicle you stay out, there's no going back short of abject Panic, but the Chap I was with is a Pro and he just kept softly talking to them, probably something like "Don't step on me, step on Him".

This Image I took as the herd was moving away around the front of the vehicle, The Chap I was with is in the Scene, using a Cough Cough, Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1206 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 12, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

wonderful work
 glad the new Len is going to be a good friend  !!
Gary, I am missing your photos. :)

rpt

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 12, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
Lycoan Pictus (Wild Dog) 2nd most endangered Predator in Africa, unfortunately.

North of Kruger National Park on the Border with Mozambique.

1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ 560mm f/5.6 & 1/400th ISO640
Lovely pictures! Was this shot hand held or with a monopod?

Hi RPT, Almost all my 200-400 shots are from a Bean Bag attached to a Manfroto Clamp, I did also have my Wimberley attached to my RRS Safari Monopod Bracket, but used it very little on this trip.

Perhaps 15% of my 200-400 shots were Hand Held, I found Hand Holding the Lens about the same as the 400f/2.8, it can be done for short periods, but it gets Old pretty quickly and I consider myself pretty Fit and I'm big in the Arms, the Wrists start to go first though, shooting from the beanbag seemed to work well, I had one attached each side of the Front Row of the seat, with the Monopod/Wimberley set up in the Middle. I always Safari with my own dedicated vehicle & Guide so front row always, my Son takes the 2nd Row and there's no fighting, much. A fate worse than Death would be sharing a Vehicle on Safari, I got offered a trip recently to Mala Mala & share with 2 Russian Lesbians, Potential entertainment factor was high, but I was pretty sure they could whip my arse and put me in the back seat, so I passed.
Ok, that makes sense. Yet another use of a beanbag.  :) I asked because you shot 1/400th @560mm...

You have a number of stories. All of them interesting. You should compile them in a book... Good thing you got your hard case back...

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 12, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »

Ok, that makes sense. Yet another use of a beanbag.  :) I asked because you shot 1/400th @560mm...

You have a number of stories. All of them interesting. You should compile them in a book... Good thing you got your hard case back...
[/quote]

Hi RPT, I dont Hand Hold that much, not so much because of the weight, more because I often try to shoot as Low ISO as I can get away with, so that affects the Shutter speed when I'm concentrating mostly on shooting f/4 & f/5.6.

Unlike many that I've read about, I don't find the 1Dx (or the 5DMKIII) take great Images re Noise, anything above around ISO1250 to ISO1600, but I do find the 1Dx in particular takes excellent Images re Noise, at around 800 to 1250, so most of shots are at those ISO ranges, +/- ISO800.

Of course both Cameras can be pushed way above these ISO's, but the Noise becomes significant and I tend to not like a large amount of noise in my Images.

rpt

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 13, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »
Quote from: rpt

Hi RPT, I dont Hand Hold that much, not so much because of the weight, more because I often try to shoot as Low ISO as I can get away with, so that affects the Shutter speed when I'm concentrating mostly on shooting f/4 & f/5.6.

Unlike many that I've read about, I don't find the 1Dx (or the 5DMKIII) take great Images re Noise, anything above around ISO1250 to ISO1600, but I do find the 1Dx in particular takes excellent Images re Noise, at around 800 to 1250, so most of shots are at those ISO ranges, +/- ISO800.

Of course both Cameras can be pushed way above these ISO's, but the Noise becomes significant and I tend to not like a large amount of noise in my Images.
I have been struggling with noise too. I have noticed when the light is low and the ISO kicks up above 1600 noise seems to kick in. Now on one of the threads there was a discussion where Neuro pointed out that the base ISO for the 5DIII (not sure about the 1DX) was 80 and so an ISO of 160 seemed to be giving better results than 125. So the values of 160, 320, 640 seemed to be the ones to choose. Also on yet another thread Neuro and many others talked about how the the signal for ISO values that were 1/3rd above were given additional "gain" and the ones that were 1/3rd below were "cut" so the ones 1/3rd above would have a bit more noise.

I am still playing around with "M" and auto ISO. When shooting birds I don't seem to have much time to play with the ISO, shutter speed and f-stop settings. I need to work some more on that. I will soon start fixing the ISO in M mode and like gary samples explained on a thread be watchful of the exposure indicated in the viewfinder and compensate as needed. I usually get lost in the picture and the usual story is that if I set the ISO many shots are either under exposed or over exposed. I have to learn not be lost in the picture seen in the viewfinder...

Another thing, somebody pointed out that on 5DIII and possibly 1DX too, if you shoot in low light, you can set EC to +1 and it helps as one can recover quite a lot of information from the highlights. I tried that last month and it seems to work. Need more testing there though. Traditionally I used to set my film ISO to a 1/3rd stop off to achieve an EC of -1/3rd... This +1 EC is new to me as you can imagine :)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 13, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
That's interesting Info RPT, thanks, I need to look more at this, Loads of reports indicating amazing High ISO performance, I see better, but I don't see amazing, and I often shoot with a friend that uses a Nikon D3x and I can generally shoot 2 stops above him, no more though, and the his Camera is getting long in the tooth.

All in all though, the 1Dx is about as good a Camera as I've had to date, it can only get better.

As an aside the same friend mentioned above has tried the D4 alongside my 1Dx and gave up, he's a dedicated Nikon shooter but was just not happy with the D4, the D800 he gave up on the moment he realised it shot 4fps. So he sticks to the D3s & D3x, I hope the chap with the Cambodian Temple name doesn't read this, I'll be in trouble, again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:36:46 AM by eml58 »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 13, 2013, 03:09:25 AM »
1Dx 400f/2.8, Shot @ f/2.8 & 1/2000th ISO200

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1212 on: July 13, 2013, 03:09:25 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 13, 2013, 03:32:40 AM »
1Dx 400f/2.8 + 1.4x, Shot @ 560mm f/4 & 1/640th ISO800

Old Shooter

• EOS M2
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:35 AM »
1Dx 400f/2.8 + 1.4x, Shot @ 560mm f/4 & 1/640th ISO800

Wonderful!  I don't know what he is looking at, but I think it is about to become lunch!  Love the eyes and the intensity...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1214 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:35 AM »