September 22, 2014, 12:28:14 AM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 458089 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »
Thanks Bornshooter, RPT, Viggo & Sporgon, appreciated.

I ended up on this 4 weeks with a little over 10,000 Images, surprised myself as I'de Promised myself I'de take less Images and concentrate more on the moment, I blame Canon with that ridiculously good 12fps on the 1Dx, cant be my fault, blame the gear.

But don't worry, I'm not going to Post 10k Images.

Wild Dog 1Dx 400f/2.8, Shot @ f/2.8 & 1/400th ISO200

2 Lions on a Hill 1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ 247mm f/5.6 & 1/1000th ISO640
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »

Darlip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #1231 on: July 14, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »
Thanks Bornshooter, RPT, Viggo & Sporgon, appreciated.

I ended up on this 4 weeks with a little over 10,000 Images, surprised myself as I'de Promised myself I'de take less Images and concentrate more on the moment, I blame Canon with that ridiculously good 12fps on the 1Dx, cant be my fault, blame the gear.

But don't worry, I'm not going to Post 10k Images.

Excellent shots once more Edward :)

Silly question by the way, but does the camera go back to the default f-stop when you switch off the converter on the 200-400?

And for you in the US who consider this lens to be expensive, it's $17500 here in Sweden, just one 1DX difference :/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:22:07 PM by Darlip »
70D | Sigma 17-70 | Canon 70-300L

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 14, 2013, 11:46:41 PM »

Silly question by the way, but does the camera go back to the default f-stop when you switch off the converter on the 200-400?

And for you in the US who consider this lens to be expensive, it's $17500 here in Sweden, just one 1DX difference :/

Hi Darlip, Thanks.

Yes, one of the areas I liked so much about this Lens was the ability to set the Camera @ f/4, Zoom out to 400, engage the 1.4x Converter, immediately goes to 560 @ f/5.6, then Back Button Focus on the subject, and start to follow the Animal back towards yourself, once the Animal fills the frame at 560, flip the converter out, immediately back to 400 @ f/4, don't touch a thing and the Focus stays locked on, then Zoom all the way back to 200.

The ability to Hold Focus through all this was amazing, I don't think I had a situation, where the Animal remained in site, where I needed to re acquire focus, the exception being the Cheetah Kills, the Lens/Camera was amazing at Holding Focus @ + 80KPH, except where the Cheetah went completely behind High Grass or Bushes, I then needed to quickly re acquire focus, and as you know, with Cheetahs at + 80KPH that's pretty well a "Too Late" scenario, Tall Grass, hate the stuff.

I set the Lens on this trip against the 400f/2.8 which I think is also an amazing Lens, but I also have the 300f/2.8 and it all becomes a bit too much to consider when you throw in the 600f/4 as well, so although I think the 400f/2.8 is a great Lens, I've off loaded it to a friend of mine in South Africa where like Sweden, the prices are at least 20% higher, so I ended up getting what I paid for it a year ago and my friend got a 25% discount, win win all round, and I keep the 300f/2.8 for those early Dawn, late Dusk shots.

The value of the Zoom cant be discounted for Wildlife, I always liked the Nikon 200-400f/4, although I still feel it's weak at 400, but on this recent shoot, a Pro Photographer friend of mine was shooting his 200-400f/4 and just couldn't stop drooling over the Canon 200-400f/4 with the converter, he also was trying out the New Nikon 80-400, seems a reasonable Lens as well, so I hope that Canon get the New Version of the 100-400 out soon, not that I will be a buyer, but it will be the go to Lens for Wildlife if you don't want to spend the Money on the 200-400f/4. I think Price for this Lens is the only downside, but for myself I couldn't be happier with the Image Quality coming from the Lens, one other minor point, the Lens in Low light does not Lock Focus as quickly as the 400f/2.8, understandable when you consider one Lens is locking initial focus at f/4 while the other is locking focus at f/2.8, it is something I noticed, but probably only because I was shooting both Lenses alongside each other.

I'm not sure wether or not the Lens initially focusses at f/4 or f/5.6 when the Converter is engaged, this is a little too technical for me, but a question someone like Nuero or East Wind could likely answer.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:52:00 PM by eml58 »

Darlip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #1233 on: July 14, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »

Hi Darlip, Thanks.

Yes, one of the areas I liked so much about this Lens was the ability to set the Camera @ f/4, Zoom out to 400, engage the 1.4x Converter, immediately goes to 560 @ f/5.6, then Back Button Focus on the subject, and start to follow the Animal back towards yourself, once the Animal fills the frame at 560, flip the converter out, immediately back to 400 @ f/4, don't touch a thing and the Focus stays locked on, then Zoom all the way back to 200.

The ability to Hold Focus through all this was amazing, I don't think I had a situation, where the Animal remained in site, where I needed to re acquire focus, the exception being the Cheetah Kills, the Lens/Camera was amazing at Holding Focus @ + 80KPH, except where the Cheetah went completely behind High Grass or Bushes, I then needed to quickly re acquire focus, and as you know, with Cheetahs at + 80KPH that's pretty well a "Too Late" scenario, Tall Grass, hate the stuff.

I set the Lens on this trip against the 400f/2.8 which I think is also an amazing Lens, but I also have the 300f/2.8 and it all becomes a bit too much to consider when you throw in the 600f/4 as well, so although I think the 400f/2.8 is a great Lens, I've off loaded it to a friend of mine in South Africa where like Sweden, the prices are at least 20% higher, so I ended up getting what I paid for it a year ago and my friend got a 25% discount, win win all round, and I keep the 300f/2.8 for those early Dawn, late Dusk shots.

The value of the Zoom cant be discounted for Wildlife, I always liked the Nikon 200-400f/4, although I still feel it's weak at 400, but on this recent shoot, a Pro Photographer friend of mine was shooting his 200-400f/4 and just couldn't stop drooling over the Canon 200-400f/4 with the converter, he also was trying out the New Nikon 80-400, seems a reasonable Lens as well, so I hope that Canon get the New Version of the 100-400 out soon, not that I will be a buyer, but it will be the go to Lens for Wildlife if you don't want to spend the Money on the 200-400f/4. I think Price for this Lens is the only downside, but for myself I couldn't be happier with the Image Quality coming from the Lens, one other minor point, the Lens in Low light does not Lock Focus as quickly as the 400f/2.8, understandable when you consider one Lens is locking initial focus at f/4 while the other is locking focus at f/2.8, it is something I noticed, but probably only because I was shooting both Lenses alongside each other.

What can I say other then cheers for a quick and extensive reply Edward, really appreciate it.

I'm still waiting for what Canon has planned for the coming year before I make my move. Now I will leave the tread for you guys to post more great photos :)
70D | Sigma 17-70 | Canon 70-300L

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »

Beautiful images Edward. Looking forward to see more of them.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

Didn't I read somewhere here on CR that this is exactly not what you are "supposed" to do with this lens? I will search for it later, but I remember that someone had been told by Canon (not sure if CPS or not) that you should not change the converter while in use. A CR member did then come back and say it had worked fine for him, but I do recall that this was something discussed about the lens.

It might be worth ringing CPS about just to check what they say.

I will try to find the canonrumors post on it tomorrow.

Truly amazing pictures as always, btw.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Raptors

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 15, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Didn't I read somewhere here on CR that this is exactly not what you are "supposed" to do with this lens? I will search for it later, but I remember that someone had been told by Canon (not sure if CPS or not) that you should not change the converter while in use. A CR member did then come back and say it had worked fine for him, but I do recall that this was something discussed about the lens.

Wow, I have been away for a few weeks, work, lots to catch up on. Just a quick reply re-Precautions for using the Internal Extender. Before I pre-ordered this lens, I did a  lot of research on it...and a special thanks to EMl58, for all the additional information...much appreciated!!
There is a section in the manual...pages 16-17, that discusses the use of the Internal Extender. It was also mentioned in an article from TDP...Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review
Excerpt for article
"Canon does not advise shifting the extender into place until IS turns off and all memory card writing ceases. The Canon rep I talked to strongly advised against doing this and suggested that a service visit may be required of a lens that has been used in this way. Apparently electronics are at the root of the potential problem."
Now the question is: does this apply to the 1DX?

BTW...awesome pictures everyone!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1236 on: July 15, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Raptors

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 15, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »

Wow, I have been away for a few weeks, work, lots to catch up on. Just a quick reply re-Precautions for using the Internal Extender. Before I pre-ordered this lens, I did a  lot of research on it...and a special thanks to EMl58, for all the additional information...much appreciated!!
There is a section in the manual...pages 16-17, that discusses the use of the Internal Extender. It was also mentioned in an article from TDP...Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review
Excerpt for article
"Canon does not advise shifting the extender into place until IS turns off and all memory card writing ceases. The Canon rep I talked to strongly advised against doing this and suggested that a service visit may be required of a lens that has been used in this way. Apparently electronics are at the root of the potential problem."
Now the question is: does this apply to the 1DX?

BTW...awesome pictures everyone!!!

I guess I should explain, does this apply to the 1DX? In the manual it states, "The internal extender installed in this lens can only be used under certain conditions depending on the type of EOS camera used".

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: July 15, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
Hi Raptor, Expatinasia.

There's a Manual ?? Well, Guys don't read these things do they ??

Ok Joking, Just read the Manual, seems I've pretty well broken all the Rules on Pages 16 & 17 over the last 4 weeks and 8,500 Images with the 200-400.

I checked my Stats, about 3,500 Images taken with the 1.4x Extender engaged, and having not been aware of the Manual and the Instructions on The use, I just operated the Lens the way I suggested in an earlier Post and what felt right. Also from reading the Review by Andy Rousse on his use of the Lens over 6 Months in the Field, especially the part about engaging the Extender during Zooming etc.

The Manual, as you both rightly said, says not to engage the 1.4x Converter while the Camera is in Operation, which I assume means Writing to the Card, autofocusing, Image stabilisation etc etc, so I broke all those rules. It's sort of the same Rules for using the normal Extender when fitting it to other Lenses such as the 400f/2.8 and 600f/4 so makes absolute sense of course.

But, the Lens still works fine, ran some tests on the tripod this morning after reading these Posts, worried I may have broken it, but seems I haven't, yet.

Not sure Guys, the Manual is reasonably clear, it says I shouldn't operate it the way I did for 8.500 Images, but it seems I didn't break it, so I may keep operating it this way and see if it does break, I'll let you know if it does. Operating as per the Manual sort of puts a hitch in the smooth operation as per my previous Post, although thinking on it, it would just mean that when you Engage the Converter, dis engage the converter, you just need to stop auto-focussing for 2 seconds until the Camera/Lens stop doing electronic stuff, I guess.

Mmm, next trip in the middle of the Svalbard Sea, may have to read the Manual again.

Appreciate the heads up though, especially about the Manual, what will they think of next.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 16, 2013, 04:57:49 AM »
Raptor, Expatinasia, been taking loads of photos (Squirrels of the front Porch) and in all areas the Lens is sharp and fast to focus, so I may have averted Doom, good fortune favours the dopey.

To be safe I'll certainly look now to change the way I zoom, engage the Converter etc to adopt the advice in the Manual as much as possible.

Again, very much appreciate the heads up on this, I'm always so glad some people read Manuals, saves Lazy beggars like me having to do it, Thanks.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ f/5.6 & 1/640th ISO 200

Have tried for a while to get a decent shot of these Guys galloping side on, but they invariably Gallop directly away so all you get is a Galloping Zebra Backside. Not sure Colour does it for them, maybe they're a B&W animal, I mean, B&W Image, you know what I mean.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 16, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Raptor, Expatinasia, been taking loads of photos (Squirrels of the front Porch) and in all areas the Lens is sharp and fast to focus, so I may have averted Doom, good fortune favours the dopey.

To be safe I'll certainly look now to change the way I zoom, engage the Converter etc to adopt the advice in the Manual as much as possible.

Again, very much appreciate the heads up on this, I'm always so glad some people read Manuals, saves Lazy beggars like me having to do it, Thanks.

Haha, I had no idea the lens had a manual! I do not remember where I read about that issue, whether it was on TDP or here at CR, but it did strike me as strange as obviously zooming and engaging or disengaging the converter is a big selling point. I will ask the guys at CPS what they know about it, as it would be interesting to know more.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »

Have tried for a while to get a decent shot of these Guys galloping side on, but they invariably Gallop directly away so all you get is a Galloping Zebra Backside. Not sure Colour does it for them, maybe they're a B&W animal, I mean, B&W Image, you know what I mean.
I vote for B&W. But then I am a B&W fan :). If the grass was green I'd say colour. With the grass being dry, either B&W or Sepia...

Any particular reason you did not set the f-stop to f8 or f11? Or did you reckon that even at that the foal would not come into focus?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1242 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »

I vote for B&W. But then I am a B&W fan :). If the grass was green I'd say colour. With the grass being dry, either B&W or Sepia...

I agree with rpt. +1 for the B&W option.

Raptors

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 16, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Haha, I had no idea the lens had a manual! I do not remember where I read about that issue, whether it was on TDP or here at CR, but it did strike me as strange as obviously zooming and engaging or disengaging the converter is a big selling point. I will ask the guys at CPS what they know about it, as it would be interesting to know more.

Hi EMl58

No problem, I'm happy to hear the lens is working fine, even though you broke all the rules.
I have also put a call to CPS Canada, will post any other information I gain.

Love the image of the zebra...I also agree, this image would look amazing in B&W. I use Nik Software SilverEfex Pro 2, for all my B&W's.

P.s I gotta a good chuckle, when you stated "Guys don't read these things do they??"
      As the manual contains all the technical stuff, you have supplied us with very valuable information, on     
      using this lens in the real world.

Sue

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1244 on: July 16, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »