November 23, 2014, 08:32:17 AM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 498655 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1245 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
EML58, that 200-400 sure does have some smooth bokeh for a zoom!  You can see how smooth it is as the bokeh goes from slight to extreme, in the grass background.  Nice job.

When the replacement for the 1DX first goes on sale, how soon will you buy one...if you do? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1245 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
Raptor, Expatinasia, been taking loads of photos (Squirrels of the front Porch) and in all areas the Lens is sharp and fast to focus, so I may have averted Doom, good fortune favours the dopey.

To be safe I'll certainly look now to change the way I zoom, engage the Converter etc to adopt the advice in the Manual as much as possible.

Again, very much appreciate the heads up on this, I'm always so glad some people read Manuals, saves Lazy beggars like me having to do it, Thanks.

Haha, I had no idea the lens had a manual! I do not remember where I read about that issue, whether it was on TDP or here at CR, but it did strike me as strange as obviously zooming and engaging or disengaging the converter is a big selling point. I will ask the guys at CPS what they know about it, as it would be interesting to know more.

Appreciate it, let me know what you find out, seems strange if Canon require the stop/engage/Go type use of the Converter, takes it from a  smooth flowing operation to a less smooth flowing operation. Obviously it works because in my ignorance that's how I've operated it to date, but wouldn't want to break it if I can help it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 16, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ f/5.6 & 1/640th ISO 200

Have tried for a while to get a decent shot of these Guys galloping side on, but they invariably Gallop directly away so all you get is a Galloping Zebra Backside. Not sure Colour does it for them, maybe they're a B&W animal, I mean, B&W Image, you know what I mean.
I vote for B&W. But then I am a B&W fan :). If the grass was green I'd say colour. With the grass being dry, either B&W or Sepia...

Any particular reason you did not set the f-stop to f8 or f11? Or did you reckon that even at that the foal would not come into focus?

Hi RPT, I sort of got carried away with Blown Backgrounds this trip, being the first time with the Lens I was really concentrating on f/4 & f/5.6 working on how well the lens Bokeh would be when compared against the 400f/2.8 V2 Lens, Plus a lot of my Photography I tend to single one Animal out and shoot to remove it from what ever else is around it. At distance with these Long Lenses even with f/8 f/11 I still find it hard to get any Depth of Field, so rather than have Main Subject Sharp and secondary subject half sharp, I tend to go for shallow depth of field and at least keep the main subject sharp.

There's always the other possibility of course, I didn't think of it.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 16, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »
Raptor, Expatinasia, been taking loads of photos (Squirrels of the front Porch) and in all areas the Lens is sharp and fast to focus, so I may have averted Doom, good fortune favours the dopey.

To be safe I'll certainly look now to change the way I zoom, engage the Converter etc to adopt the advice in the Manual as much as possible.

Again, very much appreciate the heads up on this, I'm always so glad some people read Manuals, saves Lazy beggars like me having to do it, Thanks.

Haha, I had no idea the lens had a manual! I do not remember where I read about that issue, whether it was on TDP or here at CR, but it did strike me as strange as obviously zooming and engaging or disengaging the converter is a big selling point. I will ask the guys at CPS what they know about it, as it would be interesting to know more.

Hi EMl58

No problem, I'm happy to hear the lens is working fine, even though you broke all the rules.
I have also put a call to CPS Canada, will post any other information I gain.

Love the image of the zebra...I also agree, this image would look amazing in B&W. I use Nik Software SilverEfex Pro 2, for all my B&W's.

P.s I gotta a good chuckle, when you stated "Guys don't read these things do they??"
      As the manual contains all the technical stuff, you have supplied us with very valuable information, on     
      using this lens in the real world.

Sue

Hi Raptors, Ok, the "Sue" gives the game away, whenever I explain to my wife about not being able to get some piece of equipment working to my satisfaction she invariably asks "have you read the Manual ??", Man that's a discussion stopper, but it is amazing how many times I then go off and read the Manual that the issue Magically seems to disappear, bit of a message there I guess. Again, appreciate the input very much.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
EML58, that 200-400 sure does have some smooth bokeh for a zoom!  You can see how smooth it is as the bokeh goes from slight to extreme, in the grass background.  Nice job.

When the replacement for the 1DX first goes on sale, how soon will you buy one...if you do?

In a heartbeat, the 1Dx is without a doubt the best Camera I've ever used, and I dabbled with the oppositions as well, owned a D800 for my Underwater Photography, sold it in 6 months went back to the 5DMKIII, had the Loan of the D4 for 3 months, could't wait to give it back, cant compare to the 1Dx. I wont Kid myself re the "Dabbling", with the Money I have in canon Lenses it would need a major shift forward in technology to get me to change, and I don't see that shift anywhere, I think the 1Dx is as good as it gets for my type of Photography.

New 1DxII comes out, it's in the Bag, plus when Canon launch the 1Dxs (High Megapixel) it's in the bag as long as it's got 7fps & a D body, then it's Bye Bye to the 5DMKIII.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »

Hi EMl58

No problem, I'm happy to hear the lens is working fine, even though you broke all the rules.
I have also put a call to CPS Canada, will post any other information I gain.

Love the image of the zebra...I also agree, this image would look amazing in B&W. I use Nik Software SilverEfex Pro 2, for all my B&W's.

P.s I gotta a good chuckle, when you stated "Guys don't read these things do they??"
      As the manual contains all the technical stuff, you have supplied us with very valuable information, on     
      using this lens in the real world.

Sue

Hi Raptors, Ok, the "Sue" gives the game away, whenever I explain to my wife about not being able to get some piece of equipment working to my satisfaction she invariably asks "have you read the Manual ??", Man that's a discussion stopper, but it is amazing how many times I then go off and read the Manual that the issue Magically seems to disappear, bit of a message there I guess. Again, appreciate the input very much.
It is called a manual for a reason ;)

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »
1Dx 200-400f/4, Shot @ f/5.6 & 1/640th ISO 200

Have tried for a while to get a decent shot of these Guys galloping side on, but they invariably Gallop directly away so all you get is a Galloping Zebra Backside. Not sure Colour does it for them, maybe they're a B&W animal, I mean, B&W Image, you know what I mean.
I vote for B&W. But then I am a B&W fan :). If the grass was green I'd say colour. With the grass being dry, either B&W or Sepia...

Any particular reason you did not set the f-stop to f8 or f11? Or did you reckon that even at that the foal would not come into focus?

Hi RPT, I sort of got carried away with Blown Backgrounds this trip, being the first time with the Lens I was really concentrating on f/4 & f/5.6 working on how well the lens Bokeh would be when compared against the 400f/2.8 V2 Lens, Plus a lot of my Photography I tend to single one Animal out and shoot to remove it from what ever else is around it. At distance with these Long Lenses even with f/8 f/11 I still find it hard to get any Depth of Field, so rather than have Main Subject Sharp and secondary subject half sharp, I tend to go for shallow depth of field and at least keep the main subject sharp.

There's always the other possibility of course, I didn't think of it.
Just looked at the DOF calculator. Even at f/22 you would have to focus just behind the mother zebra's shoulder. Guessing the distance to subject was about 25 mt and the head of the foal was about 2 to 2.5 mt behind the mother...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1251 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
Early Morning Light, Lion Cub Tanzania June 2013

1Dx 400f/2.8 + 1.4x, Shot @ 560mm f/4 & 1/125th ISO320

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
Just looked at the DOF calculator. Even at f/22 you would have to focus just behind the mother zebra's shoulder. Guessing the distance to subject was about 25 mt and the head of the foal was about 2 to 2.5 mt behind the mother...

Hi RPT, I never seem to think of this stuff when I'm taking the shot with Wildlife, Don't do a lot of Landscape but I tend to think more of what's in Focus when I do, with Wildlife I pick generally a Shallow Depth of field to blow the background and concentrate on the eyes of the subject, hope for the best, expect the worst, and satisfied if it "looks" about right. It's a bit like the Depth of field preview Button, I don't think I've ever used it to view DOF, on my 1Dx Bodies I have it set to flick between One Shot & AI Servo.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
Has everyone else's 1Dx stopped working ????

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 17, 2013, 01:56:20 AM »

Great shot, Edward. Love the colors and composition 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 17, 2013, 05:56:51 AM »

Awesome shot. Beautiful light. Nice job.

eli72

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
I think that all of us are in awe of your pictures! In addition, I've been wanting to get out and try the 1Dx/200-400 combo, but ever since the lens finally got here it's been raining in Atlanta or I've been busy at work so I haven't been able to. I went out two days ago to see if I could catch some shots of the squirrels and chipmunks around the house, and of course they were nowhere to be seen while I was outside - and then it started to rain again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1257 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #1258 on: July 17, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
A couple of recent shots taken on glasgow's back streets
Stephanie by Lseriesglass, on Flickr
Lauren by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 17, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »

No, mine is working, I just find my family shots a little out of the league of the shots posted here, however I enjoy all of your shots a lot so please don't stop posting.

Here's a shot I went all-in on the editing with. I actually like this style for some rare shots, especially those with a back and front light. Edit is only Lr.

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1259 on: July 17, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »