July 29, 2014, 08:06:02 PM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 416836 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1575 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »

For me the flight cost would be minimal in comparison and I'd probably be sitting in the airport longer than on the plane. I would probably still need to change at Gardemoen though, as I don't think there are any direct flights to Longyearbyen from the UK.

There was a Brit Chap on this trip (Nikon Guy, but nice chap just the same), he had to go Manchester, Copenhagen, Oslo (Overnight), Tromso, Longyearbyen, reverse going Home, not much different to my time in the Plane, my longest was Singapore/Copenhagen, 13 Hours.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1575 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: September 01, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »
Eml, I love your Svalbard shots, it's a couple of stone throws from my house, (well, almost) ANd I had a friend who lived there, but I never got around to take the trip, so I live through your pictures, just lovely stuff! I love that you squeez out so much color from a very white and bright place.

Hi Viggo, appreciate the comments, Thank You, it's an interesting place, Longyearbyen is a tiny town, around 2k people, but once you get into the Northern Islands it's quite Beautiful, and as it's so difficult to get to hopefully it will stay this way for a long time. I enjoy the colours in the Arctic & Antarctic, the Greys, whites & occasional Blue, reminds me of places like Namibia, just different, well, a lot different. But the feeling is the same, silence, stark & quite Beautiful. The Bears for me were the definite Highlight, we were fortunate to see so many, some trips report seeing only 2 or 3 over the 10 days, and when you get them on the Ice, that's about as good as it gets.

We had one bear that gave a bit of a show, the one in previous Images on top of the small Ice Berg, she came out from behind the Ice, rolled around, shook her self off, climbed up to the highest point of the Berg, tried to work out how to get onboard, gave up, went slowly down to water & slipped in then swam off, 40 minutes of absolute wonder, fortunately I remembered to keep pushing the shutter button, I'll certainly be going again, planning on 2016 and working to Charter the Stockholm for a back to back trip (20 days), then spend more time on the Ice in the North at around 82 degrees, with only 6 Cabins to fill it should be workable.

Like the Duck Images as well, Love this Lens, Sharp as a Razor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:09:03 PM by eml58 »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 01, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »

Buy the Lens in Singapore and save 15%, I think the Europeans & Aussies get taken to the cleaners on gear prices.
So you are calling the Brits Europeans? ;)

Huge apology RPT, Being an Aussie we generally call Brits similar but possibly worse things, terribly sorry, wont happen again. But, I do wish you Guys would all work out this Currency thing, your all (Mostly) part of some EU thingy, but you Brits have Pounds, the Norwegians have Kroner, the Danes have Kroner but different to the Norwegian Kroner, the Finns have Markka (What the hell is that ??), the Swedes have Krone, just to be different they leave off the 'r', My wallet after this trip looks like a repository for Bird Droppings. I took Euro's stupidly thinking all these Countries would operate in Euros, everyone takes them & gives you back some colourful local currency (Except in Longyearbyen of course, there they will only take Norwegian Kroner, no Exchange, even the single Bank in Longyearbyen wont Exchange foreign currency, they consider the Euro foreign, like USD etc), which I finally understood was reasonable as they aren't part of the EU, seemed smart to me, but what do I know. The one Brit onboard of course handled all this with complete ease, seemed to have a wallet with loads of currency from about 20 Countries, big wallet.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: September 02, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »

Buy the Lens in Singapore and save 15%, I think the Europeans & Aussies get taken to the cleaners on gear prices.

Yea, you tell him rpt ! We Brits will be Europeans the day the English Channel dries up  ;)
Be careful what you wish for! If that happens you will have a land border with France! ;)

Also +1 about the prices in the UK...

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: September 02, 2013, 01:13:21 AM »

Huge apology RPT, Being an Aussie we generally call Brits similar but possibly worse things, terribly sorry, wont happen again.
Hey! I am indian! We have a 250 year old bone to pick with the Brits. I don't care what you call them. You can call them French or Irish for all I care ;)
You would have to apologise to sporgon, Paulwalnut et all...

When the ashes are on, I am on the Aussie side. Has not been fun the last few times though... :)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #1580 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »

Huge apology RPT, Being an Aussie we generally call Brits similar but possibly worse things, terribly sorry, wont happen again.
Hey! I am indian! We have a 250 year old bone to pick with the Brits. I don't care what you call them. You can call them French or Irish for all I care ;)

When the ashes are on, I am on the Aussie side. Has not been fun the last few times though... :)
[/quote]

Paulwalnut ? He's Scottish for heavens sake ! Why do you think Hadrian built his wall ??  ;D

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
Quote from: eml58

Paulwalnut ? He's Scottish for heavens sake ! Why do you think Hadrian built his wall ??  ;D
Ha! Ha! Ha! I am sure Paul will have something to say about that  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1581 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

Lemmy Shoyu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 02, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »

Beautiful pastel colors in the sky and clouds.

Thanks!

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »

Do you remember the Image PaulWalnut posted of the Squirrel with his Junk hanging out ??

I'm pretty sure Hadrian built that wall to keep those little Chaps Out of England and away from Good Romans, Danes, et all, what ever was Living down South at the time.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:00 AM »
More Bears, Northern Islands Svalbard.

Shot from a Zodiac, 1Dx + 200-400f/4.

Lemmy Shoyu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 02, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 02, 2013, 04:40:58 AM »
A windy day at the beach with my son today, couple of ducks got curious. Feel free to zoom in a little  ;)

Both shot at 200mm f2.0

Love your duck photos...nice sharpness.

Thanks a lot, yeah that lens is incredible. Here's the first shot at 100% crop.

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #1587 on: September 02, 2013, 04:42:32 AM »

The Performing Bear shot is an iconic Polar Bear Pose.

Could have come straight from Fox's Glacier Mints !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1587 on: September 02, 2013, 04:42:32 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 02, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »

The last one there is gorgeous.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 02, 2013, 06:01:36 AM »
American High School football with the 1dx and 300 2.8 IS

First shot - ISO 1600, 1/640, 2.8

The second shot was later in the game and the field lighting wasn't good for photography, so I set my ISO at 4000 to go along with 1/640th and 2.8.

I like posting these night/action images because they truly show the capabilities of the 1DX.  No other camera can compare in this situation other than the D4.

Nice shots! Which AF case do you prefer in these dark sports conditions?

Viggo...after experimenting with all the AF cases...I've decided to stick with AF case #1 most of the time, it seems to consistently be the best for me.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1589 on: September 02, 2013, 06:01:36 AM »