September 02, 2014, 12:54:21 PM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 444781 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1590 on: September 02, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
American High School football with the 1dx and 300 2.8 IS

First shot - ISO 1600, 1/640, 2.8

The second shot was later in the game and the field lighting wasn't good for photography, so I set my ISO at 4000 to go along with 1/640th and 2.8.

I like posting these night/action images because they truly show the capabilities of the 1DX.  No other camera can compare in this situation other than the D4.

Nice shots! Which AF case do you prefer in these dark sports conditions?

Viggo...after experimenting with all the AF cases...I've decided to stick with AF case #1 most of the time, it seems to consistently be the best for me.

Thanks, appreciate that. I've been trying A LOT lately with the 200 f2 as it seems it need completely different setup than other lenses. The dof is, well, non existent so it has to be the right balance between "edgy and steady". Not the easiest.

And also, my sloppy technique that works at 200 f2.8 needs improvement at f2.0, that is certain. :D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1590 on: September 02, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 02, 2013, 06:46:44 AM »

The Performing Bear shot is an iconic Polar Bear Pose.

Could have come straight from Fox's Glacier Mints !

It was shot @ 200mm on the 200-400f/4, I was backing down the side of the vessel trying to get the Bear + Berg in the Picture, I had my 70-200f/2.8 set up on the other 1Dx Body but didn't want to change Cameras at this Point, others onboard got the larger Picture which looked good as well, but at times this Lady performed like she was Circus Trained, amazing stuff to see in the Wild. Fortunately my Lad was with me & got the whole thing on Video.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 02, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »

It was shot @ 200mm on the 200-400f/4, I was backing down the side of the vessel trying to get the Bear + Berg in the Picture, I had my 70-200f/2.8 set up on the other 1Dx Body but didn't want to change Cameras at this Point, others onboard got the larger Picture which looked good as well, but at times this Lady performed like she was Circus Trained, amazing stuff to see in the Wild. Fortunately my Lad was with me & got the whole thing on Video.
Lovely shots. All of them. As usual :)

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 02, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

Lovely shots. All of them. As usual :)

+1
Awesome! I like the second one especially.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 02, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
More Bears, Northern Islands Svalbard.

Shot from a Zodiac, 1Dx + 200-400f/4.

Awesome shots. I like your bear pictures, especially the last one. Great job!

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 02, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

great shots eml!...curious, what are you using for editing, LR4? 
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

Awesome shots. I like your bear pictures, especially the last one. Great job!

Appreciated Click, RPT, Serendipidy, Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1596 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 02, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »

great shots eml!...curious, what are you using for editing, LR4?

Thanks Northstar, Basically my Workflow is like this, of course it depends on how well I made the capture in the first place, I think Generally I wouldn't spend more than 10 to 15 minutes on an Image. If I cocked it up at Capture I keep it to remind me of what I did wrong, but I don't work on the Image, a poor Image cant really be made a Good Image with Software, mostly.

I bring everything into LR, currently LR4 but I do have LR5, just haven't got around to setting it up yet.

In LR I mainly look at WB & Crop, not much else, I use LR mostly to manage my Files.

Then into PS, currently CS6, there I look at Brightness, Levels & Curves depending on what seems to be needed, I like to work in Layers, gives me the opportunity to go back later if I need to.

I use NIK, but mostly if I need some very local adjustment, I do this from CS6 in a Layer, i.e.. On the recent Polar Bear Images I used NIK to adjust brightness on the bears, in the Wild the Bears are more a Dirty Yellow rather than White, if your expecting Golden Compass Bears it's disappointing, no Armour as well.

Only other things I use are On One Effects 4, some work on the Eyes, maybe some small adjustments to background colour, I like On One Photo Suite 7, my hopes for a future Adobe PS Killer without the yearly subscription (I wont get started on this).

If Noise is an issue, rarely, but it depends on the original conditions and what ISO I've used, I go to NIK's DeFine2, there are others, but I find this works best for me, the localised ability to adjust is great, mostly I find Noise becomes an issue in uniform backgrounds and the main Object of the Image doesn't require any adjustment, NIK's DeNoise seems to handle this well.

Then very rarely I use Filter Forge 3, this I use if I want to set a uniform lightness to the background in some Images, FF is a big programme that does a lot, but I use it very rarely, If you have spare time, nothing to do, this is a great Programme for just messing around with an Image to see what comes out of the Mix.

Last stop is again On One for some sharpening.

To resize for the Web (CR) I use On One Resize.

I enjoy the after Image part almost as much as the Image taking, almost, it's nice to take a RAW Image that has had some effort made in the Capture, and see where you can make adjustments to bring the Image more to life, I'de love to be able to Paint or draw, but my creative ability in that area resides in the ability to do 0's & x's, so it's Photography that works for me and the Post Image work as well.

All of this is a little subjective, If I did a really good job in the first place, then it's 5 minutes work per Image, I've heard a lot from People (generally the un informed), about the evils of "Photoshopped" Images, but 100% of my Images go through Photoshop, I shoot RAW, as do most People that are serious about their Images, so some form of adjustment is required, LR & PS are pretty well it for the moment and likely to stay that way for a while, unfortunately.

My apologies if this became a little long winded.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:22:08 PM by eml58 »

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 02, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »
eml - That is very kind of you to share such detailed PP information... I can see that when your photo safari business begins, we will have to follow-up with a week in Australia for a PP workshop! Beer provided by workshop host, of course!  ;)
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 03, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
eml - That is very kind of you to share such detailed PP information... I can see that when your photo safari business begins, we will have to follow-up with a week in Australia for a PP workshop! Beer provided by workshop host, of course!  ;)

Only need to come as far as Singapore, been living here mostly for the past 30 Years, special discount for "Old Shooters" and free Beer if your over the legal drinking age, that should be about + 60. Years, not Beers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:50:00 AM by eml58 »

Lemmy Shoyu

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »
eml58 - Thanks for sharing your techniques and especially thanks for sharing your photos.

. . . after experimenting with all the AF cases...I've decided to stick with AF case #1 most of the time, it seems to consistently be the best for me.
I googled “1DX settings” and found:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2678
where SI photographer Peter Read Miller says of case #1: "shot almost the entire Olympics on this setting. I gotta say-it just works"  Like you, I use case #1 most of the time but switch to case #5 for birds in flight.

Lemmy Shoyu

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »
. . . trying A LOT lately with the 200 f2 as it seems it need completely different setup than other lenses. The dof is, well, non existent so it has to be the right balance between "edgy and steady" . . .

Fabrizio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
Using the new 200-400mm f/4 with the built in 1.4 extender on a monopod.  Combined with the 1Dx, it's my all-time favorite combination.   Flipping the extender out as the boats got closer took a bit of getting used to, now, I wouldn't trade that flexibility for the world.  There are times I miss the even-better bokeh from the f/2.8 glass, but I really can't complain.

This one was 9000 ft up the side of a mountain in Rawanda in alpine rain forest with the 24-105mm f/4.

Kenya with a 400mm f/4 DO

Wildebeast in Tanzania at sunrise

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1602 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »

Raptors

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: September 03, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
CANON 200-400MM 1.4X
UPDATE RE- PRECAUTIONS FOR USING THE INTERNAL EXTENDER

I have been in contact with Canon Canada, in regards to this matter...sorry EMl I was trying to submit this, before your trip to Svalbard...BTW absolutely fantastic pictures...I also live through your pictures.   I discussed the way that I typically shoot using a zoom lens, with and without the use of external extenders, and the way I would like to use this lens. Basically the way eml58 shoots.
Quote from eml58, dated July 14.
 "Yes, one of the areas I liked so much about this Lens was the ability to set the Camera @ f/4, Zoom out to 400, engage the 1.4x Converter, immediately goes to 560 @ f/5.6, then Back Button Focus on the subject, and start to follow the Animal back towards yourself, once the Animal fills the frame at 560, flip the converter out, immediately back to 400 @ f/4, don't touch a thing and the Focus stays locked on, then Zoom all the way back to 200".

Canon Canada stated, if there is a malfunction, you will see an error message...solution...power cycle the camera. The other possibility, because your turning the extender on and off, the focal length of the lens changes.  What can happen potentially, is within the pictures exif information, the focal length will be off, basically corrupted. How often are you to expect this to ever occur, you may never see the error or the exif information corrupted.  The precaution is in the manual, because there is a possibility this could happen, however small the chance is.  Using the 200-400mm 1.4x with the 1DX, we shouldn't have a problem.

More information regarding this precaution; from Canon Digital Photography Forums
According to Arthur Morris:
Quote:
I tracked down Rudy Winston, author of the article http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/whats_new_ef200400mm.shtml, for clarification:

"Thanks for all your insights into the new 200-400mm lens, and for taking the time to not simply work with it, but to invest in it, early-on. You are correct -- the advice about switching the built-in extender into or out of the optical path refers to cameras OTHER THAN the EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III. With this lens, there is additional data communication that has to be pushed into the camera body, and it's done in a way that earlier cameras (5D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark IV, and so on) weren't initially designed to accommodate. Hence, the advice to switch into and out of extender operation carefully. With anything introduced after the 1D X and 5D III (that would include the EOS 6D, Rebel T5i & SL1, and new EOS 70D), you likewise can go into and out of extender operation without significant issues.
Our technical data from Japan included advisories to resist making the change during active camera operations (writing to the memory card, etc); to be honest, we haven't had a working sample in our department to be able to test it to see whether there's any issue with this when using the newer cameras. So the info you read on that on-line piece reflects what we have been told in the technical info from Japan. As a 5D III/1D X user, though, you don't have to worry about shutting down Live View and so on.
Best, Rudy
TLDR: If you have a camera model from the 5d3 or later, you do not need to worry about flipping the TC while the lens is still in operation (IS engaged/AF on). It is only the camera bodies made prior to the 5d3 where switching the TC while the lens is in operation can cause electrical/EXIF damage

Hope this helps...

Awesome shots everyone!!!!

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 03, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
Hi Raptors, great info, and very much appreciated, the info re the 1Dx & the 200-400f/4 in your research does seem in my case at least, to be valid.

On my recent Svalbard trip I did tend to try & maintain the operation as per the Manuals, i.e.. No Camera operation while flipping the Converter & or Zooming, but at times in the excitement of the Image Capture I sort of forgot, to date with around 8 weeks of full-time operation with this Combo, I've had zero issues, I don't recommend anyone to work outside the guides of the Manuals, but at least in my own case, where I have, it's been Pain Free to date.

It will be interesting as time slides by & more people begin to use this Combo to see what their experience has been in relation to this subject, my experience at least to date has been so Positive I begin to look at my 600f4/400f/2.8/300f/28 & wonder where I will use them in the future, having said that I did use my 600 + 1.4 on my recent trip to Svalbard and the results were excellent, but I could have made the trip very simple with just 2 x 1Dx Bodies + the 200-400f/4 + 70-200f/2.8 II and saved myself a lot of extra carry on weight.

When some time goes by it will be very interesting to see how much the 200-400 has eaten into the sales of these other Canon Prime Lenses.

Again, thanks heaps for the detective work on this Raptors, well done.

I noted that the link in your message didn't work, at least for me, so I've included it here, it may just be an issue my end though.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/whats_new_ef200400mm.shtml
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:51:24 PM by eml58 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1604 on: September 03, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »