December 18, 2014, 04:52:13 AM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 513031 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #2490 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »
Pacu Jawi Bull Run, near Padang Sumatra Indonesia, yesterday.

1Dx 200-400f/4, shot @ 200mm f/8, 1/800th ISO 1000

Incredible day.

Superb ! I love the subtle colours you're getting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2490 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 09, 2014, 07:35:04 AM »

Stunning images Edward! The speed, sound, splash, mud and excitement can really be felt.

Poor Chinese though. But I suppose, when you provoke the bulls with a Nikon rig, you only have yourself to blame ...  ::)

Thanks Eldar, it was a blast for sure, fortunately there were only 11 serious Photographers at the end of the Bull Run, what made it difficult was that often when the Riders were ditched the bulls would split apart, so it was always, run left, run right or stand still, the Chinese gentlemen made the wrong choice, with his gear as well.

However, given how I sometimes worry about my gear, shooting with expensive stuff like 1Dx & 200-400f/4, D4 & 800f/5.6... in Sumatran mud and water, with bulls running around... must be an adrenaline sport on its own ;)

The Chinese gentlemen & I had the by far the most expensive rigs, it's amazing though just how fast you can pick up that gear (mine was on a tripod) & run like hell when you have about 2 tonne of Beef bearing down on you.

The most amazing part were the "Riders", each Guy would do about 5 or 6 Runs during the day, very fit & very brave.

Superb ! I love the subtle colours you're getting.

I started without a Polariser, midway through the day I was finding I had a load of difficulty with highlights blowing out on the water & where you had a Black Bull & a White one together the white Bull was blowing out, I dropped in the Circular polariser, cranked up the ISO to 1000 & kept the shutter speed @ 1/800th, it darkened the Images but helped a lot with bringing out the colours, just added +1.5 stops in Post to compensate for the lack of DR in the Canon Sensor.

The guy with the crushed D4 wouldn't have had that particular issue.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 09, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
BULL RACING you have to love it.  wonderful shot !
Thanks Gary, it was different that's for sure, getting in the final few frames and getting out of the way quickly was the order of the day.
A Chinese Photographer miss timed it, his D4 + 800f/5.6 Lens went under the hooves, fortunately the Photographer was only bruised, his gear was a write off, what didn't get flattened ended up in a foot of mud & water, I guess the Bulls didn't like Nikons.
The attached Portrait was the days winner, he more than any of the others ran the bulls right to the end, when I spoke to him later he laughed and said his whole day was about seeing which Photographer would run last, he thought it was funny that the locals had more sense, they ran first.
Great pictures EML. ;) But one thing I do not understand. ??? The guy who had crushed D4 and 800mm was so close to the bulls, and could fit even two huge animals in the camera viewfinder, or he attempted a portrait "head and shoulders" of the animal and did not realize the actual distance? :'( Should he have used a 1200mm?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:02:47 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 09, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »
Excellent pictures Edward!

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: March 09, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
Excellent pictures Edward!

+1 Great shots. Well done Sir.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 09, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
Great pictures EML. ;) But one thing I do not understand. ??? The guy who had crushed D4 and 800mm was so close to the bulls, and could fit even two huge animals in the camera viewfinder, or he attempted a portrait "head and shoulders" of the animal and did not realize the actual distance? :'( Should he have used a 1200mm?

Hi ajfotofilmagem, with my 200-400, I was set at 400 when they started the run, to get them full frame at this Point you needed a 600-800 (I tried 560 f/5.6 but it was taking too long to flip out the 1.4x so I stuck with 400 back to 200), waited until they filled the frame at the half way point then started to zoom back to 200, most of my Images were taken at 300-200 as this allowed most of the background to disappear among the flying mud ( a load of people & tents in the background), of course at that point the Bulls are 3 seconds from you.

The Chinese chap was with a small group behind us on a slight muddy rise that should have been safer & mostly was. Because the animals often took a while to get into the wooden harness,so unfortunately they released 2 & even 3 "runners" at the same time or quite close, that meant you pretty well had to do a runner immediately because with 6 Bulls coming down the patch at one time, your feet in a foot of the mud made escape a priority decision made sooner rather than later.

The Chinese chap just wrong footed himself, he ran Ok, but ran into a deeper muddy patch to one side where he was steamrollered by a Nikon hating Black Bull. He had a Nikon 200-400 & a D800 as a back up set up and was using the 800f/5.6 to get long shots of the riders from the start. The damage to his rig was mostly where the D4 Body parted company with the 800, the Tripod was fine, albeit a bit muddy, but the Body was missing the Lens Flange so a done deal, the 800 was slightly bent in the middle so you could possibly have saved it & shot around corners.

Within 10 minutes the guy was set back up & shooting, they make them tough in China.

The event is arranged once a year at the village level, there's not a lot of organisation that goes into the event, but the locals are very careful to try and reduce accidents, the nearest Hospital is at Padang a 2 hour drive away. This year apparently had the least amount of Photographers willing to set up at the end of the bull Run, and there was only the one semi casualty, last year they had to get a Malaysian Photographer to Hospital, and another Malaysian Photographer won the Sony World Photography award 2013 with an Image shot at this event in 2012 (Chen Wei Seng).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:48:29 PM by eml58 »

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 09, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
1Dx
24/70 2.8 @ 7.1
great grandson  came over to visit so I had to get the camera out for a few fast ones   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2496 on: March 09, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 09, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »
some more hockey from last night...
70-200

Wow! These are SUPERB! You really got some great action here.  :D

Thanks Viggo! :D
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 09, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
Hi ajfotofilmagem, with my 200-400, I was set at 400 when they started the run, to get them full frame at this Point you needed a 600-800 (I tried 560 f/5.6 but it was taking too long to flip out the 1.4x so I stuck with 400 back to 200), waited until they filled the frame at the half way point then started to zoom back to 200, most of my Images were taken at 300-200 as this allowed most of the background to disappear among the flying mud ( a load of people & tents in the background), of course at that point the Bulls are 3 seconds from you.
The Chinese chap was with a small group behind us on a slight muddy rise that should have been safer & mostly was. Because the animals often took a while to get into the wooden harness,so unfortunately they released 2 & even 3 "runners" at the same time or quite close, that meant you pretty well had to do a runner immediately because with 6 Bulls coming down the patch at one time, your feet in a foot of the mud made escape a priority decision made sooner rather than later.
The Chinese chap just wrong footed himself, he ran Ok, but ran into a deeper muddy patch to one side where he was steamrollered by a Nikon hating Black Bull. He had a Nikon 200-400 & a D800 as a back up set up and was using the 800f/5.6 to get long shots of the riders from the start. The damage to his rig was mostly where the D4 Body parted company with the 800, the Tripod was fine, albeit a bit muddy, but the Body was missing the Lens Flange so a done deal, the 800 was slightly bent in the middle so you could possibly have saved it & shot around corners.
Within 10 minutes the guy was set back up & shooting, they make them tough in China.
The event is arranged once a year at the village level, there's not a lot of organisation that goes into the event, but the locals are very careful to try and reduce accidents, the nearest Hospital is at Padang a 2 hour drive away. This year apparently had the least amount of Photographers willing to set up at the end of the bull Run, and there was only the one semi casualty, last year they had to get a Malaysian Photographer to Hospital, and another Malaysian Photographer won the Sony World Photography award 2013 with an Image shot at this event in 2012 (Chen Wei Seng).

I think the prize winning photo you refer to is the one above. Now better understand the combination of factors that led to the accident. I thought about how it was dangerous for the "runners", but now I think it is even more dangerous to unsuspecting photographers. It is ironic that poisonous snakes and lions kill fewer photographers that hippos "cute". Should I put the bulls on my list of danger from now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:32:23 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 09, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
I think the prize winning photo you refer to is the one above. Now better understand the combination of factors that led to the accident. I thought about how it was dangerous for the "runners", but now I think it is even more dangerous to unsuspecting photographers. It is ironic that poisonous snakes and lions kill fewer photographers that hippos "cute". Should I put the bulls on my list of danger from now.

That's the one, what made this stand out I feel was the "Rider" and his pose at the instant the image was taken, great Image.

Viewfinder Blindness is the biggest issue, leaving it too late to look up and see just how close the Bulls actually are, big mistake.

The attached 2 show how Happy some riders can be at the end, and also the method they use to get the builds to go faster, Bite the Tails, this in itself is extremely brave when you consider what happens around a Bulls Back End.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: March 09, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »
1Dx
24/70 2.8 @ 7.1
great grandson  came over to visit so I had to get the camera out for a few fast ones

Beautifully lit Gary, love the Hair.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 10, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »
Last One, in B & W

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »
1Dx 200-400f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2502 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
1Dx 200-400f/4
Lovely picture!

And one hell of a golf shot I am sure  ;)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
1Dx 200-400f/4
Lovely picture!

And one hell of a golf shot I am sure  ;)

One hell of a "Divot" that's for sure

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2504 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »