January 24, 2018, 02:58:49 AM

Author Topic: Gray vs Authorized Resellers  (Read 8908 times)

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Gray vs Authorized Resellers
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
This issue came up on another thread which was starting to drift a bit OT.

The question came up concerning warranty support and indeed the willingness of an authorized Canon repair facility to do even non-warranty repairs to gray market equipment.

Quote: "If a camera is gray market will a canon facility repair it, I have always been told no that you would have to use a third party repair shop. I would avoid gray market for that reason alone."

Where I live there is absolutely no issue getting a gray Canon item repaired at the authorized repair facility. It's business for their workshop.

A potential irritation with gray is if a warranty claim kicks in. You may have to jump through hoops to get the job done through your gray seller. A lot of gray sellers offer the Mack Warranty. Read up: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-704362.html
What have peoples experiences been with Mack Warranties?

Maybe I've been lucky but in over 20 years shooting Canon with a LOT of new gear all heavily used and occasionally abused, I've never had to get anything repaired during the 12 month warranty period. Later on...yes.

Another issue kicks in if you are a CPS Member (where I am a Gold member). Equipment not purchased through an authorized reseller does not qualify for CPS benefits.

I highly value the very existence and quality of support from our local CPS. I also value the existence and quality of support of local professional resellers with whom I have long term relationships. This all adds up to tangible business support with a very real value.

However if my circumstances were different I would probably be tempted to occasionally buy gray.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:01:47 PM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

Gray vs Authorized Resellers
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Gray vs Authorized Resellers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »
Where I live there is absolutely no issue getting a gray Canon item repaired at the authorized repair facility. It's business for their workshop.

A potential irritation with gray is if a warranty claim kicks in. You may have to jump through hoops to get the job done through your gray seller.

Ditto,

While I have never had to make a warranty claim from a hong kong based seller i have returned items i was not happy with for a credit towards another product.
Both have exceptional service
Digital Rev was one and also Ozdigital online
Ozdigital have a return address in NSW
this makes return costs if you have an issue significantly cheaper than having to send back to hong kong
I have purchased quite a few grey lenses off ebay
APS-H Fanboy

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
Im a CPS gold member and I bought my 5Dc used on craigslist ages ago. I logged my Serial number and info into CPS and it was accepted for CPS points. Does that mean used gear bought second-hand still qualifies for CPS benefits or repairs?

bdunbar79

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
Im a CPS gold member and I bought my 5Dc used on craigslist ages ago. I logged my Serial number and info into CPS and it was accepted for CPS points. Does that mean used gear bought second-hand still qualifies for CPS benefits or repairs?

Canon will fix a Grey Market camera no matter what.  The question is whether you have to pay full, partial, or no price.  I bought a 1Ds Mark III and sent it to Canon and they cleaned the sensor for free, even though it was not under warranty anymore.  They're pretty good about this stuff.
2 x 1DX
B1G, MAC, GLIAC

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

Canon will fix a Grey Market camera no matter what.  The question is whether you have to pay full, partial, or no price.  I bought a 1Ds Mark III and sent it to Canon and they cleaned the sensor for free, even though it was not under warranty anymore.  They're pretty good about this stuff.

I been fortunate enough not to need any serious repairs on my gear but it be nice to know that canon will atleast will repair it. Im not sure if nikon will even work on a grey market camera after they dumped independent parts service.

marekjoz

• EOS 5DS R
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
(...)
Equipment not purchased through an authorized reseller does not qualify for CPS benefits.
(...)
Paul Wright

Is it the US CPS requirement? I didn't notice such in the European programme.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
PWP, like you i'm a gold CPS member... couldn't tell ya about the CPS points... when you register it within CPS, it doesn't ask for the retailer, just asks for the serial...  I would think you would qualify for the points, but the issue of repairs if and when that ever happens and the 30% discount we get, that may come into play at that time. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »

My 2 cents: buy it from authorized dealer....THE END

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »
 "Authorized Dealer" is the key.  B&H sells gray markey, and since they are a authorized dealer, Canon will reluctantly (so far) repair it.  Nikon is much tougher, and if you have noted that recently, Canon has been setting similar policies as Nikon.  So they might start refusing Gray market from unathorized sellers any time.
Don't count on others ancedotal experiences as being true for any other than their own cases.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »