July 29, 2014, 05:45:24 AM

Author Topic: Patent and New Lens  (Read 1591 times)

mhmcr

Patent and New Lens
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
It's always so exciting to hear about new lenses and bodies. Many of use here are always wondering when new lenses and bodies are coming and its always so difficult to figure it out. Especially when you are getting ready to get new gear or upgrade your gear. At CR they post new patents very often and I get so excited to see what's coming next! There are usually at lot of detail about new goods but first thing they post is Patent release date and  filing date. For example new 24-70L II's patent was filed on April 2009 and Published on October 2010. Is that mean it takes more or less 3 years to get a product to consumers or its up to Canon? It would be so nice if there are pattern that we can guess when we one is coming. Please let me know about what you think! Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Patent and New Lens
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Patent and New Lens
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
There is no 'pattern', it's up to Canon.  Most years, they are awarded between 2000-2500 patents - they don't come out with anywhere even close to that many new products per year.  Many patents are filed without the intent of becoming a product, to protect a company's intellectual property and/or restrict competitors' freedom to operate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
Few patents make it to production.  there have been numerous patents released over the years that were for a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.
Anyone expecting a patent to actually become a released product at some later time is going to be disappointed over and over ... and over.
In fact, many lenses are introduced before the patent is published.  This avoids tipping off the competition.  I believe thats it is only when production delays hold up a new lens that the patent arrives first.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »