October 30, 2014, 08:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Filters  (Read 10860 times)

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Filters
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
first, i am not sure as if i see different from filters :)  and i currently own Hoya and B+W filters.  According to my research, Hoya HMC UV(0) should be the choice.  However, I love the solid feel of B+W filters.

Ref:  http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test_Introduction.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

M.ST

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
Buy a B+W AUC Zirkular-Polfilter Käsemann with MRC-sealing

It delivers a perfect picture quality.

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
I agree with Razor2012.
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
Is this for use with the 16-35mm f/2.8L II?  The 82mm diameter makes me suspect so, and there are a few additional considerations when using a CP on a wide angle lens.  First, you may need to use a thin profile filter in the case of the CP, as a standard type may vignette at the wide end - especially if stacked with a second filter such as a UV.  And secondly CPs can be problematic with ultra-wide lenses, since the polarization varies across the wide angle of view and can make skies look patchy and uneven.  There was a good thread discussing this recently:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8112.0

Buy a B+W AUC Zirkular-Polfilter Käsemann with MRC-sealing

It delivers a perfect picture quality.

I own the B&W BWKCPMCS77 slim 77 mm Kaesemann MRC CP, which I purchased a few months ago.  I love B&W filters and use them on all my lenses, but I can't say I recommend this model.  It is very thin and I don't get any vignetting on my 17-40mm f/4L provided I don't stack filters (when stacked with an F-Pro UV I get just a touch of vignetting at 17mm on my 5D2).  But the thinness has its disadvantages.  It makes the control ring difficult to adjust because there is not much to grab onto, particularly if a lens hood is fitted.  It also means that a conventional lens cap does not work since there are no internal filter threads.  The supplied special cap invariably falls off when I put the lens in my bag, making it essentially useless.

These complaints are repeated over and over in the B&H user reviews, but I could live with them as tradeoffs for the lack of vignetting.  However, while using this filter in cold weather at Bryce Canyon NP in Utah, it frequently became jammed on my UV filter.  I think this is because, unlike my other B&W filters which are brass and don't get stuck, this CP is made of steel - presumably brass is too soft to use for a thin profile filter.  Finally it jammed permanently, and nothing I have tried has succeeded in freeing it.  I was planning on selling it and going with a grad ND setup instead, but I can't do that until I can separate it.  Very disappointing from an otherwise excellent brand...

Any advice on separating jammed filters would be much appreciated :D  I don't think it is cross-threaded, but filter wrenches don't work, even when used with elastic bands for better grip. >:(

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:45 PM »
Any advice on separating jammed filters would be much appreciated :D  I don't think it is cross-threaded, but filter wrenches don't work, even when used with elastic bands for better grip. >:(
Can't say I've ever had the problem but maybe try popping in the oven at something fairly low like 80C for a while and see how it goes? It sounds like different expansion rates in the opposite direction caused your problem.

M.ST

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:26 AM »
Sorry for my first short text.

I mean, buy a B+W AUC Zirkular-Polfilter Käsemann with MRC-sealing (not the slim version) for the new EF 24-70 II. (I hate the nine lens blades, because you get stars from small light sources at f/16 or f/22 with eighteen spouts. That looks very ugly.)

Most of the polfilters don´t perform very well with ultra wide angle lenses. Your need the slim version for ultra wide angle lenses, but they have not the effect as with lenses from 24 mm up.

If you use a Lee-filter-holder you are more flexible. You can screw in polfilters, nd- und gnd-filters.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:33:25 AM by M.ST »

kirillica

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 05:54:20 AM »
I'm looking for the best UV (+IR) filter for my new 16-35 lens and have no idea what to choose:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&sts=ma&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c1&N=35&srtclk=sort&Ntt=uv+82mm+filter

I've used Hoya for other lens and it's OK. I've never heard of Heliopan. Is their price/performance ratio better than Hoya?

Currently it looks like this is the best option:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857379-REG/Hoya_A82UVIR_82_mm_UV_and.html
Am I right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 05:54:20 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »

From the product description:  "When using color CCD or CMOS camera sensors, which are extremely susceptible to UV and IR rays..."  Really?!?   :o   First time I've heard that...  Technically, I suppose it's true...the sensor itself is quite sensitive to IR, although much less so to UV.  But...there are two IR cut filters in front of the sensor, which I presume do the job they're supposed to, and I've personally tested UV sensitivity of a 5DII and found it to be basically zero.

Also, although B&H doesn't indicate it, searching the manufacturer number (A82UVIR) elsewhere indicates the filter is part of the HMC line, which isn't the best from Hoya, optically.  The Super HMC, Pro1, and HD lines are the ones I'd look at from Hoya, and those are equivalent to the B+W MRC optically, although of them all, the B+W and the Hoya HD are easier to clean than the others.

Heliopan has a good reputation, but I have no personal experience.

Personally, I use an XS-Pro 82mm B+W MRC UV on my 16-35 II.  I'm not sure what the mount thickness of the Hoya you linked is, but according to my testing, anything over 5mm thick may vignette on the 16-35L II (on FF).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kirillica

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
Personally, I use an XS-Pro 82mm B+W MRC UV on my 16-35 II.  I'm not sure what the mount thickness of the Hoya you linked is, but according to my testing, anything over 5mm thick may vignette on the 16-35L II (on FF).

well, if we take into account list mentioned (on B&H), that what would be your choice?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »
Personally, I'd get this one.  As I stated, optically there's little to distinguish the top end filters (B+W MRC/Nano, Hoya Pro1/HD, etc.), but I do sometimes stack a CPL or ND on the UV if I'm in a hurry, and the brass rings of the B+Ws are less prone to binding up when stacking filters.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
I am looking for a 82 mm size UV, CPL, ND (Grad) filter to purchase . i have always used B+W filters and have been very happy with it. What do you all recommend..

Here's another happy B+W user for anything that screws on/is round. For grad filters etc I've been using standard Cokin filters since the very beginning on 35mm film. They've become a little difficult to get at times but I find them more than sufficient and quite affordable.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »
Can't say I've ever had the problem but maybe try popping in the oven at something fairly low like 80C for a while and see how it goes? It sounds like different expansion rates in the opposite direction caused your problem.

Thanks, that may be worth a try.  I suspect you are right that the problem is caused by different rates of expansion.  The jamming happened when I was jumping in and out of a heated vehicle in freezing temperatures, so the filters were presumably expanding and contracting.  I tried letting them sit in my freezer for a while with no success, so maybe heat will work.  At least the filters are not stuck on the lens, I wouldn't want to put that in the oven! :o

I should probably look up rates of expansion for steel and brass... :)

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

From the product description:  "When using color CCD or CMOS camera sensors, which are extremely susceptible to UV and IR rays..."  Really?!?   :o   First time I've heard that...  Technically, I suppose it's true...the sensor itself is quite sensitive to IR, although much less so to UV.  But...there are two IR cut filters in front of the sensor, which I presume do the job they're supposed to, and I've personally tested UV sensitivity of a 5DII and found it to be basically zero.

Also, although B&H doesn't indicate it, searching the manufacturer number (A82UVIR) elsewhere indicates the filter is part of the HMC line, which isn't the best from Hoya, optically.  The Super HMC, Pro1, and HD lines are the ones I'd look at from Hoya, and those are equivalent to the B+W MRC optically, although of them all, the B+W and the Hoya HD are easier to clean than the others.

In the past I used the B+W MRC Slims, but now just use the XS-Pro MRC Nano.  I also have the UV on my 16-35II and ordered the XS-Pro Kaesemann KSM CPL MRC Nano.  These are great filters...period.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

csli

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »

I just bought the 16 - 35mm L II with the B+W Slim-Line Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M). Is this a good filter to go with the lens?

Thanks,

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
I'm not a fan of the slim filters because they lack a front thread, meaning pinch caps (e.g. the one that comes with the lens) don't work, and you need to use the slip-on cap that comes with the slim filter. Instead, I prefer the XS-Pro mount - it's only 0.4mm thicker than the Slim, and has front threads.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »