August 28, 2016, 09:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Post Your Best Landscapes  (Read 743700 times)

Robin

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Post Your Best Landscapes
« Reply #2550 on: August 13, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Thanks jack.  I appreciate your thoughts and agree with you on the first.  I liked it as more of an abstract pattern where it is tricky to see where the trunks end and the reflections start. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2550 on: August 13, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Jack Douglas Waller
« Reply #2551 on: August 13, 2016, 08:09:19 PM »
Thanks jack.  I appreciate your thoughts and agree with you on the first.  I liked it as more of an abstract pattern where it is tricky to see where the trunks end and the reflections start.

Robin, I'm here to learn probably just the same as you.  However, there is reluctance on most folk's part to give constructive criticism because of the response that it sometimes provokes.  I endeavor to maintain a thick skin so that I can objectively evaluate what others (usually much more knowledgeable than me) say, because chances are they are correct.  With good constructive criticism one improves faster.

My reluctance comes from being very much a beginner so who am I to offer advice, but on the other hand what if my 2 cents worth can help someone who also is not so advanced and what if no one is offering feedback?  So, I try.  We should all chip in. ;)

Jack
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II

Mikehit

• Canon 6D
« Reply #2552 on: August 14, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »

My reluctance comes from being very much a beginner so who am I to offer advice, but on the other hand what if my 2 cents worth can help someone who also is not so advanced and what if no one is offering feedback?  So, I try.  We should all chip in. ;)

Jack

Beginner or not, you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else as to why a picture works or not.
I was watching a program about wine a few years ago presented by an international 'Master of Wine' and she said that her training enables her to express what she tastes in standard language. Whether a wine is good or not is a personal opinion.
I take photo critique in the same way.

If you are a member of a photo club, it can be bewildering why the same photo can get 20/20 with one judge but 14/20 with another. Odd, but a fact of life.

GammyKnee

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #2553 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
Dunnotar Castle about 10 mins after sunrise. Shot with the Canon 85 f1.8 (5 image pano) and 5D2. I did a similar composition with the 17-40 but I much prefer the different perspective that comes from using the 85.

Dunnotar Castle Sunrise [IMG_0947] by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

Click

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #2554 on: August 21, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
Dunnotar Castle about 10 mins after sunrise. Shot with the Canon 85 f1.8 (5 image pano) and 5D2. I did a similar composition with the 17-40 but I much prefer the different perspective that comes from using the 85.

Lovely shot.

lion rock

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #2555 on: August 21, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
So true!
I saw photos of a "pro" in his portfolio site in a nearby state, and I don't know if he purposely defocus his photos on his site to deter copying or that his photos are actually not focused.  I'd not post those photos he has.  But, he won a local art show!  Sometimes, it's in the beholder.
-r

Jack

Beginner or not, you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else as to why a picture works or not.
I was watching a program about wine a few years ago presented by an international 'Master of Wine' and she said that her training enables her to express what she tastes in standard language. Whether a wine is good or not is a personal opinion.
I take photo critique in the same way.

If you are a member of a photo club, it can be bewildering why the same photo can get 20/20 with one judge but 14/20 with another. Odd, but a fact of life.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #2556 on: August 21, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

Lovely shot ! Great technique  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2556 on: August 21, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a catoon's stuffed toy?
« Reply #2557 on: August 21, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »

Can you elaborate on that please? It doesn't seem to make sense.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

GammyKnee

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #2558 on: August 21, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »

Sure - but which bit?

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a catoon's stuffed toy?
« Reply #2559 on: August 21, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »

Sure - but which bit?

Same composition but different perspective.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Sporgon

« Reply #2560 on: August 21, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »

Sure - but which bit?

Yes but the rotary stitch can change ( or at least distort) the perspective slightly in that it tends to distort the size of the centre, making further away parts of the frame slightly larger, giving the appearance, from a perspective point of view, that you had been slightly further away with a longer lens.

GammyKnee

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #2561 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:50 PM »

Well perspective is the wrong term, but what I'm getting at is that I prefer the look of the shot that achieved its field of view using stitching vs. the one one that achieved it via a shorter focal length. It's probably down to things like depth of field, sharpness (whether from the lens or the extra resolution), less distortion correction required in post etc. but for me the 85 pano definitely has more punch than the single shot equivalent with a short fl.

Sporgon

« Reply #2562 on: August 21, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »

Well perspective is the wrong term, but what I'm getting at is that I prefer the look of the shot that achieved its field of view using stitching vs. the one one that achieved it via a shorter focal length. It's probably down to things like depth of field, sharpness (whether from the lens or the extra resolution), less distortion correction required in post etc. but for me the 85 pano definitely has more punch than the single shot equivalent with a short fl.

You're also making it a larger format, so magnifying the original capture more, more pixels on target for better colour definition / overall definition, and less enlargement at the output.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2562 on: August 21, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »

ishdakuteb

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #2563 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
La Jolla Shore Shelter - La Jolla, CA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2563 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »