October 26, 2014, 12:00:31 AM

Author Topic: New Upgraders (to FF) - what is your experience  (Read 8630 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: New Upgraders (to FF) - what is your experience
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:38 AM »
i only use the slr for work, weight rules out for social/ tourist use... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:38 AM »

scotty512

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 04:51:41 AM »
i went from a 40D to the 5D Mk3 and absolutely love it, the down side is the desire now to get a longer lens, as I was used to the 100-400 L & 70-200 F2.8 L on the 40D body with a 2x extender so I am missing reach that I had before, the biggest headache for me is that  I certainly dont use all of the camera potential and would love to find a 5D Mk3 training course in London or a pro to talk me through its versatility for the day...
5D MkIII, 40D, 50 F1.4 100-400 L, 70-200 f2.8 L II, 24-105 f4 L, 2x converter, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-85

rcarca

• Rebel T5i
  • Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
    • View Profile
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
i went from a 40D to the 5D Mk3 and absolutely love it, the down side is the desire now to get a longer lens, as I was used to the 100-400 L & 70-200 F2.8 L on the 40D body with a 2x extender so I am missing reach that I had before, the biggest headache for me is that  I certainly dont use all of the camera potential and would love to find a 5D Mk3 training course in London or a pro to talk me through its versatility for the day...

Hey Scotty - if you find a course let me know as well! Failing which, if you want to explore using a 5Diii with another recent (very happy) purchaser, I would be delighted to find some time for a few hours of conversation and a photoshoot one weekday evening (I work just near Covent Garden).

Richard
5DMkiii, 7D, loads of glass

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
I went from bright, large pentaprism film SLRs to the 7D (which I love) and I'm looking forward getting back to FF.   My brain still processes focal length and DOF in FF.

Although film bodies were much smaller overall, I love the size, feel, and ergonomics of 7D/5D sized bodies.   Therefore Rebel sized bodies are of no interest to me even if Canon releases a perfect FF in a smaller form factor.  Now when I pick up a film SLR, it almost feels like a clumsy P&S.  Unless you have really small hands, going to a FF sized body from a Rebel sized will be a bit of a transition and joy due to the additional buttons and button layout.  In the end I'm betting you will never want to go back to a smaller body. 

Rarely do I use the flash on my 7D but it is handy when you want it.  Pick up a small fash if you end up going with the 5D.   

Right now, my plans are to wait for the "entry" FF announcement, if it's not what I'll want I'll probably grab a new 5DII while I can unless the 5D3 drops considerably.   

Cinnamon

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »
My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel XS, and I eventually upgraded to a T2i. I was in the same boat as you, debating whether or not it was worth spending the extra money for a full-frame camera. Now that I've made the jump to full-frame, do I think it was worth it? In one word: ABSOLUTELY!

For me, the biggest benefit is the wider field of view. I didn't want to invest in an APS-C wide angle lens to get the same field of view my 24-105 now gives me on my 5D Mark II - lenses are expensive - but at the same time I felt limited with not always getting the whole scene in the frame unless I stepped back considerably. Yes, the crop factor on a Rebel helps with the telephoto reach, but it's always easier to crop a photo tighter after the fact than to miss out on a wider shot that includes more in the frame because of the smaller sensor size. I'm not talking about radical wide angle shooting, just normal stuff that you miss out on when you shoot with an APS-C sensor. For example, a group photo of people...you don't always have the luxury of stepping back as much as you want to make sure everyone is in the picture (i.e. indoors, where there are walls or you're shooting in a tight space). I still have a crop-sensor body for some work (7D), but I use it rarely because I love the full frame advantage. The superior low-light performance and increased shallowness of DOF are added perks.

Full frame IS expensive, but in my opinion, it's well worth it.

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel XS, and I eventually upgraded to a T2i. I was in the same boat as you, debating whether or not it was worth spending the extra money for a full-frame camera. Now that I've made the jump to full-frame, do I think it was worth it? In one word: ABSOLUTELY!

I still have a crop-sensor body for some work (7D), but I use it rarely because I love the full frame advantage. The superior low-light performance and increased shallowness of DOF are added perks.

Full frame IS expensive, but in my opinion, it's well worth it.

The 5d3 is my third camera and I just love it.  It is expensive but the rewards are worth it.  I was using my 7d for bird shots but now have almost stopped using it since the 5d3 can get the same shot with a sharper image with cropping.  The auto focus is great as well.
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
My first SLR was a T2i.  Had it for about a year because then I bought a 5d Mark III and I love it.  To me it's well worth the investment even though I'm sure I'm not using the 5DIII's full potential.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »