September 15, 2014, 09:29:08 PM

Author Topic: Lovin' my 5d Mark III  (Read 16076 times)

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
Lovin' my 5d Mark III
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
I have had my mark III for about two weeks now and have been shooting a lot of hummingbird and macro shots.  My previous camera was a 40d which I thought took excellent pictures.... that is until now!  While I still think it takes great pictures, the 5d is just amazing.  I was really worried about losing the crop factor for some pics, especially the birds.  However, the Mark III more than makes up for this with it's low light capability and the substantial bump in resolution.  I have been amazed at how much I can crop some of my full frame pics and they remain excellent. I am getting shots now that I never dreamed of with the 40d, and the 61 point autofocus, don't even get me started on how much I already love that!  Anyone with a crop body that has concerns about upgrading and losing the crop factor, don't worry about it if you upgrade to the Mark III.  I can't pick up my 40d anymore, it just can't compare. I was going to keep it so I would have two bodies, but I'm starting to think that it may go and I may buy another full frame, possibly a Mark II.  :) :) :) :) :) :)
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

Lovin' my 5d Mark III
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
Re: Lovin' my 5d Mark III
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your 5D Mk III, enjoy!  ;)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:07:58 PM »
I have had my mark III for about two weeks now and have been shooting a lot of hummingbird and macro shots.  My previous camera was a 40d which I thought took excellent pictures.... that is until now!  While I still think it takes great pictures, the 5d is just amazing.  I was really worried about losing the crop factor for some pics, especially the birds.  However, the Mark III more than makes up for this with it's low light capability and the substantial bump in resolution.  I have been amazed at how much I can crop some of my full frame pics and they remain excellent. I am getting shots now that I never dreamed of with the 40d, and the 61 point autofocus, don't even get me started on how much I already love that!  Anyone with a crop body that has concerns about upgrading and losing the crop factor, don't worry about it if you upgrade to the Mark III.  I can't pick up my 40d anymore, it just can't compare. I was going to keep it so I would have two bodies, but I'm starting to think that it may go and I may buy another full frame, possibly a Mark II.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's actually great for sports too.  You have to use center AF point, but set it to spot metering, Tv= 1/500 to 1/800, Av= 6.3, ISO = Auto.  It's pretty good in an indoor gym at those settings with decent DOF and sufficient shutter speed to stop action.  A few of my shots went to ISO 12,800 but it didn't matter because I applied NR post processing and it looked fine.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
No flash allowed!  ISO 12,800 with 5D Mark III and NR set to 50 in Adobe Camera RAW

2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »
No flash allowed!  ISO 12,800 with 5D Mark III and NR set to 50 in Adobe Camera RAW

This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »

This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D

It'll be worth it.  It's really cool, for that picture that's literall all I did, NR in Camera RAW, save to level 5 jpg.  The 1Ds3 cannot take that shot.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

Nice to hear!  I also moved up from the 40D and couldn't agree with you anymore.  The IQ, AF and low light capabilities are just awesome.  Just need some more L glass.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
I don't understand why you say center AF point only and spot meter? I use M mode for indoor sports and would use whichever AF point +8 surrounding points.

It's actually great for sports too.  You have to use center AF point, but set it to spot metering, Tv= 1/500 to 1/800, Av= 6.3, ISO = Auto.  It's pretty good in an indoor gym at those settings with decent DOF and sufficient shutter speed to stop action.  A few of my shots went to ISO 12,800 but it didn't matter because I applied NR post processing and it looked fine.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »
Well, i just got my 3,099$ mk3 from evil bay. Shot some High ISo B&W's to see the cameras limits and was just blown away. Usable 51,200 ISO compared to 6400 on the 7D! Just shocked.  :o

Good enough for a 4x6 print and thats fine for ISO 51,200!

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »
Well, i just got my 3,099$ mk3 from evil bay. Shot some High ISo B&W's to see the cameras limits and was just blown away. Usable 51,200 ISO compared to 6400 on the 7D! Just shocked.  :o

Good enough for a 4x6 print and thats fine for ISO 51,200!

Great camera. I was blown away as well. People need to quit talking numbers and get out and shoot some pictures!  Talking numbers will always happen. In a few years when 100mp cameras are out, people will still be analyzing numbers and complaining about one thing or another.  Chill out people, it's all about having fun and enjoying what you do, be it for fun or as a pro.  I am very happy with this camera. And to think, I was considering switching to the dark side. So glad I didn't!!
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
I don't understand why you say center AF point only and spot meter? I use M mode for indoor sports and would use whichever AF point +8 surrounding points.

I'm talking about the metering.  It can only spot meter through the center point, not the active AF point.  Totally seperate from focusing.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Even when you need the fine detail in macro, ISO 6400 is good enough for stock use, so good in fact, that I mistook this one for ISO3200.

Cinnebar Moth Caterpillar by Kernuak, on Flickr
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »
Here is a shot with my 5d III from a few minutes ago.  I would have taken 50 shots and not achieved this one with my 40d.  The autofocus system and all of those points help tremendously with something moving around as fast as these hummingbirds do.  I have way less "throw away" pictures now as compared to my 40d.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »

zg08

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Here is a shot with my 5d III from a few minutes ago.  I would have taken 50 shots and not achieved this one with my 40d.  The autofocus system and all of those points help tremendously with something moving around as fast as these hummingbirds do.  I have way less "throw away" pictures now as compared to my 40d.

that is one amazing hummingbird. those things are very hard to photograph.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »

Very nice.  Thats a lot of DoF for F4. What lens was it?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »