November 28, 2014, 02:42:37 PM

Author Topic: Lovin' my 5d Mark III  (Read 16884 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Lovin' my 5d Mark III
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »
The young lady - Alicia - is my fiance, (thank you again) just starting in modeling so we're trying to put together a book for her..
*HIGH FIVE*
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
I have had my mark III for about two weeks now and have been shooting a lot of hummingbird and macro shots.  My previous camera was a 40d which I thought took excellent pictures.... that is until now!  While I still think it takes great pictures, the 5d is just amazing.  I was really worried about losing the crop factor for some pics, especially the birds.  However, the Mark III more than makes up for this with it's low light capability and the substantial bump in resolution.  I have been amazed at how much I can crop some of my full frame pics and they remain excellent. I am getting shots now that I never dreamed of with the 40d, and the 61 point autofocus, don't even get me started on how much I already love that!  Anyone with a crop body that has concerns about upgrading and losing the crop factor, don't worry about it if you upgrade to the Mark III.  I can't pick up my 40d anymore, it just can't compare. I was going to keep it so I would have two bodies, but I'm starting to think that it may go and I may buy another full frame, possibly a Mark II.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's actually great for sports too.  You have to use center AF point, but set it to spot metering, Tv= 1/500 to 1/800, Av= 6.3, ISO = Auto.  It's pretty good in an indoor gym at those settings with decent DOF and sufficient shutter speed to stop action.  A few of my shots went to ISO 12,800 but it didn't matter because I applied NR post processing and it looked fine.
sorry but saying you can only use centre af point for sports is absolute nonsense yes metering is linked to cantre af point but once you work out you exposure in the general area you can shoot sports fine with off centre af points

rahkshi007

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
.. and I'm lovin' my camera - whatever number is on it - as long as it let me shoot photos like this   ;)

Great shot ! i still learning off camera flash.. i would like to ask did ur 430ex got use any umbrella or soft box?
5d mark iii, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 17-40 f4L, 600ex-rt

zhap03

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
Yes indeed, the 5D3 is good for sports.  I had the 5D3 on AI Servo for these two shots, with an off-centre cross-type AF point, and it did very well.  These riders were heading directly into my position (~20-30km/h) and the camera did well to stay in focus.

RKK

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Would you mind sharing the info on how you got this shot? Did you any strobes etc?

Thank you...nothing special just a 60D and a 430EXII flash on a flexible tripod and some CS to get the blues.. it was a pretty dark and stormy day... Of course it's far from perfect but I try to learn from every shot so next time I'll position the light higher :)  The young lady - Alicia - is my fiance, (thank you again) just starting in modeling so we're trying to put together a book for her..

Thank you for your response. Good Luck!!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Well, i just got my 3,099$ mk3 from evil bay. Shot some High ISo B&W's to see the cameras limits and was just blown away. Usable 51,200 ISO compared to 6400 on the 7D! Just shocked.  :o

Good enough for a 4x6 print and thats fine for ISO 51,200!

Finally....welcome to a Menclub   ;D

Did you buy new PC yet?

Yes. That extra cash went on computer stuff to upgrade my PC. ;D

Good Bye my trusty old friend XP and welcome its newer, more complex cousin Windows 7 Pro. 8)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
I haven't used it as much as I'd like yet, thanks to work, but I have managed around 400 frames, mostly macro experiments. I've explored ISO/noise and had a bit of a play with the AF system and published my thoughts so far. I still have a lot to go through and learn though.

http://avalonlightphotoart.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/canon-5d-mkiii-thoughts-after-one-week-of-use/
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
Would you mind sharing the info on how you got this shot? Did you any strobes etc?

Thank you...nothing special just a 60D and a 430EXII flash on a flexible tripod and some CS to get the blues.. it was a pretty dark and stormy day... Of course it's far from perfect but I try to learn from every shot so next time I'll position the light higher :)  The young lady - Alicia - is my fiance, (thank you again) just starting in modeling so we're trying to put together a book for her..

Congrats on the fiance! You don't need an expensive camera. Ha!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Nice pic and congrats on the engagement.  Buy those toys now while you have the chance, lol.  ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
Yes indeed, the 5D3 is good for sports.  I had the 5D3 on AI Servo for these two shots, with an off-centre cross-type AF point, and it did very well.  These riders were heading directly into my position (~20-30km/h) and the camera did well to stay in focus.
Yes, but they are underexposed. At least appear to be looking on my tablet.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »

Probably not the camera.  To combat that problem, and I run into often in daytime sports, I can spot meter on the person, and use EC if need be.  It just depends.  That photo looks like evaluative or center-weighted average.  Nothing to do with the 5D Mark III.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »

Probably not the camera.  To combat that problem, and I run into often in daytime sports, I can spot meter on the person, and use EC if need be.  It just depends.  That photo looks like evaluative or center-weighted average.  Nothing to do with the 5D Mark III.
True. Shooting against the light too.

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »

True. Just sayin'.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D

Twins on the way?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D

Twins on the way?

Hehe... wife isn't even pregnant yet, but I was referring to multiple future kids.  But I do want twin girls for some reason, but with the wife being Japanese, the chances are pretty low (Asia has have half the rate of twins compared to non-hispanic whites).
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »