October 23, 2014, 09:07:52 AM

Author Topic: Lovin' my 5d Mark III  (Read 16512 times)

Jotho

Re: Lovin' my 5d Mark III
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »
This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D

Twins on the way?

Hehe... wife isn't even pregnant yet, but I was referring to multiple future kids.  But I do want twin girls for some reason, but with the wife being Japanese, the chances are pretty low (Asia has have half the rate of twins compared to non-hispanic whites).

I have two daughters (not twins) and it's great, but being the only man in the house provides challenges of it's own... So beware of what you wish for  :P
This is not gear talk, sorry.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
This is the main reason why my wife is letting pick up the 5dmk3.  To be able to take great pictures of our kids (when they finally come).  Now is just practicing so i can take a great shot like this for when the day comes :D

Twins on the way?

Hehe... wife isn't even pregnant yet, but I was referring to multiple future kids.  But I do want twin girls for some reason, but with the wife being Japanese, the chances are pretty low (Asia has have half the rate of twins compared to non-hispanic whites).

I have two daughters (not twins) and it's great, but being the only man in the house provides challenges of it's own... So beware of what you wish for  :P
This is not gear talk, sorry.
Yup! I know what it means... Even my two dogs are girls...

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
I have had my mark III for about two weeks now and have been shooting a lot of hummingbird and macro shots.  My previous camera was a 40d which I thought took excellent pictures.... that is until now!  While I still think it takes great pictures, the 5d is just amazing.  I was really worried about losing the crop factor for some pics, especially the birds.  However, the Mark III more than makes up for this with it's low light capability and the substantial bump in resolution.  I have been amazed at how much I can crop some of my full frame pics and they remain excellent. I am getting shots now that I never dreamed of with the 40d, and the 61 point autofocus, don't even get me started on how much I already love that!  Anyone with a crop body that has concerns about upgrading and losing the crop factor, don't worry about it if you upgrade to the Mark III.  I can't pick up my 40d anymore, it just can't compare. I was going to keep it so I would have two bodies, but I'm starting to think that it may go and I may buy another full frame, possibly a Mark II.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's actually great for sports too.  You have to use center AF point, but set it to spot metering, Tv= 1/500 to 1/800, Av= 6.3, ISO = Auto.  It's pretty good in an indoor gym at those settings with decent DOF and sufficient shutter speed to stop action.  A few of my shots went to ISO 12,800 but it didn't matter because I applied NR post processing and it looked fine.
sorry but saying you can only use centre af point for sports is absolute nonsense yes metering is linked to cantre af point but once you work out you exposure in the general area you can shoot sports fine with off centre af points

You can't SPOT METER THROUGH THE ACTIVE AF POINT!  What good would it do to shoot sports in Av mode with Auto ISO if you are not using spot metering?  It wouldn't.  So, to do so, you use the center AF point, because you can't spot meter through any other point.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:37:07 PM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
I have had my mark III for about two weeks now and have been shooting a lot of hummingbird and macro shots.  My previous camera was a 40d which I thought took excellent pictures.... that is until now!  While I still think it takes great pictures, the 5d is just amazing.  I was really worried about losing the crop factor for some pics, especially the birds.  However, the Mark III more than makes up for this with it's low light capability and the substantial bump in resolution.  I have been amazed at how much I can crop some of my full frame pics and they remain excellent. I am getting shots now that I never dreamed of with the 40d, and the 61 point autofocus, don't even get me started on how much I already love that!  Anyone with a crop body that has concerns about upgrading and losing the crop factor, don't worry about it if you upgrade to the Mark III.  I can't pick up my 40d anymore, it just can't compare. I was going to keep it so I would have two bodies, but I'm starting to think that it may go and I may buy another full frame, possibly a Mark II.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Yeah hah I bet you are loving the AF, soooo much better than the 40D AF! And MFA and video and so on.

And yeah you don't really lose all that much reach since the 5D3 is like 8.7MP APS-C and the 40D is 10MP APS-C so it's not a super huge difference.

You would notice the difference compared to a 7D though:
(7D top, then 5D2, then 5D3 then 7D again)
(click image to see it 100% view)

The 7D does have a real reach advantage.

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Yeah hah I bet you are loving the AF, soooo much better than the 40D AF! And MFA and video and so on.

And yeah you don't really lose all that much reach since the 5D3 is like 8.7MP APS-C and the 40D is 10MP APS-C so it's not a super huge difference.

I'm not shooting studio pics of bills though. I'm usually shooting outside in varying conditions of low light and will gladly give up some reach for the III's great low light capability. The 7d does not match the III in high ISO performance. Get out and shoot "real" pictures instead of studio shots trying to nit pick every little detail.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

julescar

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
I sold my 7D after I had the 5D mkiii for a month, I simply stopped using it. The reason I bought the 7D was for focus and general shooting speed. I used it every time I thought the focus system of the 5D mkII wouldn't cut it. The 7D is a great camera, but doesn't match the iq of the 5D mkiii at any setting, or the focus system for that matter.

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
I sold my 7D after I had the 5D mkiii for a month, I simply stopped using it. The reason I bought the 7D was for focus and general shooting speed. I used it every time I thought the focus system of the 5D mkII wouldn't cut it. The 7D is a great camera, but doesn't match the iq of the 5D mkiii at any setting, or the focus system for that matter.

Great isn't it?  I have attached another image that I could never even have dreamed of with my 40d.  It was shot with a 100-400L, 1/400 sec @ f/7.1, with an ISO of 10,000!  And the amazing thing is that this shot is cropped down to less than 1.5 MP.  Sure there is noise but wow, no way with a 40d or a 7d.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
The noise pattern is much better in the 5D3 vs. the 1Ds3. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:56 AM »
The noise pattern is much better in the 5D3 vs. the 1Ds3.
Ooooooooooo lovely iron horse! Where was this?

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
This was Bucyrus, OH.  The Nickel Plate 765 was running between Bellevue and Bucyrus, and then turning on a wye and heading back north.  3 round trips, employees only otherwise I woulda been on this! :)

This particular shot was with a 5D Mark III and 70-200L II IS lens.  I shot at 1/500s, f8 and auto ISO.  I didn't resize properly so you have to actually open the picture to see how it looks  ::)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 01:52:32 AM »
This was Bucyrus, OH.  The Nickel Plate 765 was running between Bellevue and Bucyrus, and then turning on a wye and heading back north.  3 round trips, employees only otherwise I woulda been on this! :)

This particular shot was with a 5D Mark III and 70-200L II IS lens.  I shot at 1/500s, f8 and auto ISO.  I didn't resize properly so you have to actually open the picture to see how it looks  ::)
It is beautiful. The hot air around the carriages gives it a water color smudge effect too.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 05:06:39 AM »

I'm not shooting studio pics of bills though. I'm usually shooting outside in varying conditions of low light and will gladly give up some reach for the III's great low light capability. The 7d does not match the III in high ISO performance. Get out and shoot "real" pictures instead of studio shots trying to nit pick every little detail.
When you're used to the reach of the 7D compared to full frame, then it is a real concern. The 7D is significantly better than the 40D in all areas, I actually went from a 40D to a 7D. The AF system is a big improvement and it gives you an extra stop in noise free images. However, the AF system on the 5D MkIII is another big step up and gives you at least another two stops and probably more (I'm still exploring the limits). I think the improved image quality would enable the use of extenders (or 2x instead of 1.4x) and still get as good or better image quality than the 7D. Not ideal, but it does offer some compromises that don't amount to getting longer lenses. The biggest problem might be reduced AF speed.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »
I have a question and I hope this is within the thread...

I LOVE the focus system, point blank period!!! I got the 5Dmk3 as a second to add to my 5D2 kit for pro work( I have made more than a few bucks with the 5Dmk2 and a 50D), so I have become accustomed to registering my quick menus on both cams.

the focus system on the mk3 with its shooting scenarios would be a beautiful thing to register to the quick menu ( ie, when pressing the menu button six custom often used choices pop up first).

So my question is, is there a way to place the entire scene selection tab onto the quick menu?
I do use and have my tracking sensitivity as an option on the quick menu, does anyone know how to add it to the quick menu? Or is it not as desired an item for an add candidate to the quick menu as it is for me?  maybe it'll be in a future firmware up grade I pray!
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »