August 27, 2014, 07:01:47 PM

Poll

Would you buy a new full frame camera for $1999 with the 5D Mark III sensor?

Yes, At $1999, the price is right, regardless of the sensor and I'll buy one
59 (63.4%)
No, I want a better sensor in such any full frame camera that I buy.
34 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Would you buy a new full frame camera for $1999 with the 5D Mark III sensor?  (Read 11897 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
BTW why are we comparing prices of a just released 5DIII with a 4 year old MKII?  $3500 for the MKIII and $2800 for the MKII, so you don't feel what the MKIII offers now over the MKII isn't worth $700?

You would be right if the MKIII had the best sensor available (just like 5DMKII when introduced)
In addition the price of 5DMKIII will have to follow the same falling pattern if we are to compare them...

Except of course the 1DS3 sensor was well ahead of the 5DII - so perhaps the 1DX will be better than the 5DIII

Brian, I agree with you.  Adding:  The 5D3 can take shots the 1Ds3 cannot take, but the 1Ds3 cannot take shots the 5D3 can't take.  Overall it's a more powerful tool, sans the metering capabilities.  The 1Ds3 I agree is well ahead of the 5D2 in most cases. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Why are we on 3 pages of comparing the 5D3 and 5D2 again?  Wasn't this thread about $2,000 for a new cam with 5D3 sensor?  ::)
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

bdunbar79

• View Profile
Why are we on 3 pages of comparing the 5D3 and 5D2 again?  Wasn't this thread about $2,000 for a new cam with 5D3 sensor?  ::)

Because we can.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
where the option for "nope, I'm broke after buying a 5d3?!?"

+1 Plus where is the option, "No thanks, I'll go for a 5DmkII" ?

briansquibb

BTW why are we comparing prices of a just released 5DIII with a 4 year old MKII?  $3500 for the MKIII and $2800 for the MKII, so you don't feel what the MKIII offers now over the MKII isn't worth $700?

You would be right if the MKIII had the best sensor available (just like 5DMKII when introduced)
In addition the price of 5DMKIII will have to follow the same falling pattern if we are to compare them...

Except of course the 1DS3 sensor was well ahead of the 5DII - so perhaps the 1DX will be better than the 5DIII

Brian, I agree with you.  Adding:  The 5D3 can take shots the 1Ds3 cannot take, but the 1Ds3 cannot take shots the 5D3 can't take.  Overall it's a more powerful tool, sans the metering capabilities.  The 1Ds3 I agree is well ahead of the 5D2 in most cases.

For high IQ, ie iso200 or less, the 1DS3 is hands down better than the 5D2.

Also the AF on the 1DS3 is far superior (and the metering) plus of course the 5fps is better than 4fps

The 5D2 only wins on iso over 800

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Actually the only necessary options to tell the truth are YES and NO. Any other comments are superfluous and can be as many as we are !!!

bdunbar79

• View Profile

For high IQ, ie iso200 or less, the 1DS3 is hands down better than the 5D2.

Also the AF on the 1DS3 is far superior (and the metering) plus of course the 5fps is better than 4fps

The 5D2 only wins on iso over 800

Brian, I'm talking 5D3, not 5D2.  Of course the 1Ds3 is better than the 5D2 in all aspects I think. 

To answer the thread's question:  No.  I already have too many cameras   :P
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
no... i would not buy it even with digic 5+ sensor due to plastic and weather seal condition.  i know number of people do not have problem with plastic one.  but ever since i upgraded from rebel to 7d and 5d mark ii, i have realized that i do not want plastic body anymore (this can be proven that i bought a use 30d instead of buying a new t2i), especially that it is priced at $2000 (less than $1500 might be acceptable)

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile

my guess is that they are trying to say:  "... rather buy 5d mark II than new entry ff"

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr

my guess is that they are trying to say:  "... rather buy 5d mark II than new entry ff"

If new entry FF has all the capabilities of 5d2 + 5d3 sensor + AF somewhere between 5d2 and 5d3, then I'd like to see this an entry level FF at 2000$. I'm just afraid it would cost 2500$ and less features than 5d2 has. If there is only a better sensor, then I'm asking who this camera would be for?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
If new entry FF has all the capabilities of 5d2 + 5d3 sensor + AF somewhere between 5d2 and 5d3, then I'd like to see this an entry level FF at 2000$. I'm just afraid it would cost 2500$ and less features than 5d2 has. If there is only a better sensor, then I'm asking who this camera would be for?

ME!

I'd LOVE a better sensor, CHEAP FF that gives me great IQ at low ISO and not a lot of features I don't need.
I don't even need the weather sealing, all I really want from it is low noise and lots of dynamic range and body sturdy enough to sit on a tripod with a heavy lens on it.

I've made excellent images with my 5D2 as long as the scene didn't have a lot of dark areas that needed to be pushed up.  I'd really like to have a FF Canon that no longer gives me that "through a screen-door" look for the deep shadow areas.  Even 60D build quality (but with tactile buttons please!) would be perfectly fine. And an articulating display would be a real bonus.

If Canon provides this I'd consider selling one of my D800s because I'd love to keep using some of the great EF glass I have and adding some wide T&S ones too.

When doing "slow" photography my favorite camera is the simplest one that can do the job.  I actually really like my 40D or old Rebels like the XSi.  They have all the features I NEED to make the shot without any interface clutter.
I'm really enjoying the IQ of my new Nikons, they blow away my Canons for landscapery, but I miss the simplicity of Canon's user interface.
A $2k FF with a better sensor than the 5D3 or 1Dx, with even fewer features than a Rebel... I'll take TWO please.

steliosk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • stelioskritikakis.com
an entry level FF would be nice with the following specs

- same 5d3 sensor
- lighter plastic body (why plastic is bad? got my old 450D 4 years under dust, moisture, heat, ice and works like a charm)
- articulated screen (a must have tool for low angle shots, and not necessarily touch)
- 3-4 fps (need more? get 7D or 5D3)
- a more accurate focus system like 7D or nikon's D800 (not so complicated as 5D3, got scared the other day testing it)
- pop up flash (why not?)
- sd card (a dual slot with both sd and cf would be an ideal tool, but i don't see it comming)
- price lower than 2000$ (that would fill the gap, and justify the expensive price of 5D3 and yes ITS expensive, way more than the revolutionary 5D2 back in her time)

i'd certainly pay for that and many enthusiasts would too. A sure profit for canon which prices in the last products are way over rated.
Bodies: 5D3 + 600D
Lenses: STM 40, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 100L, EF 24-105L, EF 70-200 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14mm, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 and my old 350D + 18-55 IS II

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Me Too!!!  ;D :P

From day 1 of the 5D3 rumours all I’ve really wanted is 9 point cross type AF and a decent FPS rate (for me that would be 5) so a FF version of the 650D, 65D  ;) would be the dogs b…… If it doesn’t happen then I’ll just keep saving for the 5D3 which obviously fits the bill but is way more camera than I’ll ever need, but I like that thought