November 26, 2014, 12:33:42 AM

Author Topic: first pic of canon mirrorless?  (Read 58368 times)

eosbit

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: first pic of canon mirrorless?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-M

Why would canon reuse an old part number?

If they own the trademark on it, then why not?  It fits, and they don't have to make up a new numbering system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »
I'm guessing G1X sensor so they can keep the lenses nice & small like μ4/3.  With a 1.85x crop the pictured 22 becomes a 40mm pancake...

I'd also assume that they didn't include a built-in finder so that they could keep it as small & inexpensive as possible, and so that they can sell expensive accessory finders to fools like us that will buy them <grin>.

If they release a luminous standard zoom like a 24-105 (equiv) f/2.8 IS or something then I'm all over this thing.  For me, good small lenses for the system are the deal maker/breaker.  The glass has to be at least in the same ballpark as my Fuji X10 (28-112 f/2.0-2.8 ).  If a boring f/3.5-f/5.6 kit zoom is the only option besides this little prime then I'm certainly not going to be among the early adopters, especially in light of Panasonic's impressive new compacts.  Manual focus assist is also going to have a lot to do with my decision.

Now that I think about it, this puts Canon in a very interesting position.  Previously, they never had to release roadmaps as their lens stable was complete & just about updating things from time to time.  Now, if they want people to buy into this system they had better give a preview of what's coming down the pipe in the next year or two, just like all the other newcomers to the mirrorless market.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:11:07 AM by funkboy »

seta666

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 06:57:20 AM »
As for the ugliness, it sure is, but there's no evidence either Canon or Nikon understand how much damage the ugliness of their cameras is doing to their businesses.

It does not look ugly to me, it looks like a modern camera should look
If you preffer a retro-like look for your cameras there is the Fuji X100; kind of camera that looks like a rangefinder but does not behave like that. Useless AF and even worst MF; I had it for a month and then sold it

Any rangefinder like camera should have rangefinder viewfinder and proper mechanical MF

hollybush

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
If you preffer a retro-like look for your cameras there is the Fuji X100

Now that's ugly. There are modern cameras that aren't retro or ugly, some of them even Japanese.

richy

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Canon already had an EF-M so it is possible for them to use EOS-M or similar.

I would love for it to look more retro but that wouldn't stop me buying it. As mentiond above, image quality and compatability with EOS lenses will be the primary factors. I would love for it to be full frame but it seems far more likely to be aps-c. Focussing speed and accuracy will be important also. I don't pretend to believe my needs will mimic everyones but it would be nice to see the camera deliver solid IQ, even in relatively low light.
I guess it depends where canon pitch it, probably initially towards the middle of the consumer price band maybe with another later model towards the higher end. If its full frame (remembering cost savings from the lack of a prism) they could pitch it around $1600 and I'd love one. Coupled to a 24-105 f4 is it would make a great family camera without as much bulk as a 5d3 adds to that equation. As much as their is a huge consumer market, there are also quite a few pros with nice glass collections that they would like to use on a mirrorless canon and get corresponding solid results. If canon can build one or two cameras that can deliver to both groups or one each, they would have a lot of happy folks out here.
What really sucks is I am likely to be well out of cellphone range when the announcement comes lol.

richy

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »
If you preffer a retro-like look for your cameras there is the Fuji X100

Now that's ugly. There are modern cameras that aren't retro or ugly, some of them even Japanese.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder! For some reason I like the Nikon fe2 and the bessa 4's. The leica r8 is also pretty funky.
I'd have bought the fuji xpro but I'm not confident in the lens range nor the af. When I get chance I will rent one, but I get the feeling it's not the type of camera aimed at taking pictures of kids flying about.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »
EF- and EF-S-lenses have a flange focal distance of 44mm. I don't see space in this camera for such a big ffd, meaning an EF-to-EF-M-converter would have to contain optics, if it is at all possible. I'd say EF-lenses are pretty much not going to be usable.
Fed up with brandism.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
EF- and EF-S-lenses have a flange focal distance of 44mm. I don't see space in this camera for such a big ffd, meaning an EF-to-EF-M-converter would have to contain optics, if it is at all possible. I'd say EF-lenses are pretty much not going to be usable.

The opposite is true, the camera's native flange focal distance will be less than the EF lenses so you can use an optic-less adapter. It's when the native flange focal distance is greater than what the lens is designed for that you need optics in the adapter.

The EF flange focal distance is greater than FD flange focal distance so you need optics in the adapter.
The EF flange focal distance is less than the Nikon flange focal distance so you don't need optics in the adapter.
Tom

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-M

Why would canon reuse an old part number?

I have a Canon S100 that was purchased in May of 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

Why would Canon reuse the same camera name?
Tom

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »

saw it on facebook, could it be the real pic or photoshop?

Photoshop.

No built in flash, but, has a hotshoe?

Is that a doorless CF card on the side?

22mm lens with APS-C?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:59:30 AM by TTMartin »
Tom

paul13walnut5

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »
UPDATED PIC OF REAR...

No EOS command mode dial....   not a biggie I suppose, I just hope it isn't all touchscreen.   

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »

[...]

Photoshop.

No built in flash, but, has a hotshoe?

Is that a doorless CF card on the side?

22mm lens with APS-C?

No built in flash (perhaps it comes right from the hot shoe?) means: hot shoe is needed to use an external flash without wireless control.

From the markings on the door it seems to be a rubber door for the connectors (USB, HDMI, 3.5mm microphone jack, whatsoever)

22mm on APS-C are 35.2mm on FF - that is logic.

Just my opinion ... Best, Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
That's cool, convenient, small and has a big sensor. I like it.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »

maxxevv

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
Think its a pretty decent looking thing. I do like it.

But what's most crucial to me is the picture quality.  QUALITY. 

From the latest picts, judging by the flange size relative to the filter ring 43mm and relative to the sensor, looks indeed to be APS-C sized sensor.

As for the part regarding no build-in flash but flash mount part ...  neither does the 5D, 1D cameras ...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:24:52 AM by maxxevv »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
I hope we'll be positively amazed by video quality from this camera.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »