October 01, 2014, 08:43:02 PM

Author Topic: first pic of canon mirrorless?  (Read 56330 times)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: first pic of canon mirrorless?
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
I don't know if it has been noted before in the thread, but there doesn't seem to be any way to easily dial-in your exposure like on the EOS bodies (and by easily, I mean dedicated buttons / wheels). Even the S95 has a dedicated ring in the front to help you dial in aperture, shutter speed or ISO.

They maybe resolved this some smart way on the touchscreen? But wait. If this camera is for P&S market, then why someone would ever need change sth in exposure settings?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:20:18 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
This is what a 4/3 sensor looks like.  The EOS M looks like 3:2

well it is sure no m43 sensor.... nobody wrote THAT.

question is APS-C or G1X sensor.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »
Why so much hate on this camera? From first impressions, it's close to what we've been asking for.

What I've been asking for is for the kit zoom (and possibly a short prime) to fold entirely inside the body when power is off.  This doesn't appear to have been accomplished.

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
I don't know if it has been noted before in the thread, but there doesn't seem to be any way to easily dial-in your exposure like on the EOS bodies (and by easily, I mean dedicated buttons / wheels). Even the S95 has a dedicated ring in the front to help you dial in aperture, shutter speed or ISO.

The maybe resolved this some smart way on the touchscreen? But wait. If this camera is for P&S market, then why someone would ever need change sth in exposure settings?

But if this is for the P&S market, you need a compact zoom lens not a prime.  I still say the P&S market is better served with fixed zoom larger sensor compacts (ala RX100).

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »

Who said it was a m4/3 sensor.  You do know that the G1X sensor is 4:3 and APS-C is 3:2 format.  That is the easiest way to determine which sensor is in the EOS  M when looking at the pictures.

Flake

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
You have to remember the sensors rarely take up the whole area. The blue all the way around the sensor is not the sensor. If you measure edge to edge it would be APS-C, I included the actual numbers according to photoshop, ignoring the green it is definitely G1X sensor size. Zoom in check it out.

But what if your measure of 43mm is in the wrong place?  Shouldn't it be on the outside edge of the lens where most other filter rings fit?

Gothmoth

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »

Who said it was a m4/3 sensor.  You do know that the G1X sensor is 4:3 and APS-C is 3:2 format.  That is the easiest way to determine which sensor is in the EOS  M when looking at the pictures.

yeah well if that´s what you wanted to say you could have that easier :)
i thought you posted that picture because you mean it´s an m43 sensor.

for me it looks not like 4:3 .. so another point for aps-c.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/canonstuff/eosm3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:18:38 PM by Gothmoth »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
You have to remember the sensors rarely take up the whole area. The blue all the way around the sensor is not the sensor. If you measure edge to edge it would be APS-C, I included the actual numbers according to photoshop, ignoring the green it is definitely G1X sensor size. Zoom in check it out.

But what if your measure of 43mm is in the wrong place?  Shouldn't it be on the outside edge of the lens where most other filter rings fit?

look how the lens cap is attached.. that is where the filters sit.
otherwise the sensor would be even smaller .. if the outer diameter is 43mm.

bkslater

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

Comparing dimensions of objects in different image planes is not valid. Objects at greater distances (i.e. the sensor) appear smaller. Dependent on the angle of view of the lens used to take the photos, the sensor may be in fact be APS-C.

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

yeah well if that´s what you wanted to say you could have that easier :)
i thought you posted that picture because you mean it´s an m43 sensor.

for me it looks not like 4:3 .. so another point for aps-c.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/canonstuff/eosm3.jpg

Yes, it looks like an APS-C (3:2) sensor, not the G1X (4:3) sensor.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
Looks like a toy.  Has fewer controls than our little P&S SX 120.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Why so much hate on this camera? From first impressions, it's close to what we've been asking for.

It seems I missed that meeting where "we" decided on what we've been asking for.

In the sub-DSLR world, I've got an S95, and it does all I need. I never asked for anything like this.

What I DID ask for was a $2900 USD 5D3.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
But if this is for the P&S market, you need a compact zoom lens not a prime.  I still say the P&S market is better served with fixed zoom larger sensor compacts (ala RX100).

I'd say a 35mm equivilent prime may well find a significant market, the problem with the NEX and Nikon 1 pancakes is that they were both too wide for general use and not that fast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

ro_n

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »
Looks like a toy.  Has fewer controls than our little P&S SX 120.

The +/- button indicates EC, the * locks exposure and the Q button in the middle of the dial acts like that on every DSLR. Easy and sufficient.
"Der braucht nimmer kommen, den fotografier i auswendig!" Karl Valentin

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »

It seems I missed that meeting where "we" decided on what we've been asking for.

In the sub-DSLR world, I've got an S95, and it does all I need. I never asked for anything like this.

What I DID ask for was a $2900 USD 5D3.

…. and what I asked for was a M9 busting rangefinder street camera but that was never going to happen either don’t think I’ll even log on Monday think I’ll go and take some piccies instead yaaaaawnnnnnnnn

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »