October 22, 2014, 10:26:56 AM

Author Topic: What card readers do you use? Need help finding a new one..  (Read 1187 times)

idratherplaytennis

Not entirely sure this is the right spot, but it's my best assumption. My old card reader broke and I am in the market for a new one. It's been a few years since I got one and I was wondering what reliable ones you guys use are. I got the 5D Mark III a few months back and want something that will be able to fully handle larger gb cards and all of the standard cards it can take, but I don't want to break the bank or anything.

From the few forum topics and reviews I could find relating that seemed a little current, I felt it better to go off a more current opinion of you guys than some really old or outdated topics or products (example, I bought a reader a few weeks ago at Fry's and before opening it today did a read-up and found it doesn't work on cards over 2gb!!! What a gip. Taking that back to get my money back asap, thank goodness for online reviewers!)

canon rumors FORUM

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: What card readers do you use? Need help finding a new one..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
I've got the Lexar USB3 CF/SD reader. Works great, and will work on USB2 just fine even if you don't have USB3 on your computer.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

idratherplaytennis

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
I read that had issues with the occasional SanDisk Extreme III cards. I can't be certain but I think I have a few hiding out that are my normal ones. What's your opinion of that? Or do you use different cards? I originally considered that reader until I saw that single review. Could be he just had a bad reader maybe...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
APS-H Fanboy

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
I bought a Sandisk card reader. USB 3 and all, but I have not used it. 3500 images since April and all downloaded via the Canon EOS utility.

On my 300D I used to use my older Sandisk reader.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »