December 19, 2014, 06:00:59 PM

Author Topic: Technicolor & Canon USA Alliance  (Read 6193 times)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Technicolor & Canon USA Alliance
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
“We are astounded at how well Canon EOS DSLR products have been received by the broadcast and film community, and very pleased with the beautiful and creative results that have been produced using our equipment,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon USA, Inc. “We are excited about Technicolor’s development of their new CineStyle for Canon EOS DSLR cameras, giving post-production professionals image files with much greater latitude and versatility when color grading EOS footage.”

Entire news release

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Press-Release/Canon-Technicolor-Alliance.aspx

canon rumors FORUM

Technicolor & Canon USA Alliance
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: Technicolor & Canon USA Alliance
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

Paris, France & Hollywood, California – April 5, 2011 – Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH) today announced it has formed a strategic alliance with Canon USA, Inc. to leverage Technicolor’s color-science in the development of a suite of creative tools for cinematographers to facilitate greater usability and integration of Canon EOS DSLR cameras into the motion picture and television production pipeline

The new suite of creative tools will be inaugurated with Technicolor’s CineStyle, that coupled with Technicolor’s Digital Printer Lights™, will provide a more seamless pipeline, from principal photography into editorial, for projects filmed using Canon EOS DSLR cameras. Technical tests have been conducted with various camera-lens configurations under the supervision of Technicolor color-scientists with a number of renowned cinematographers.

“Technicolor, once again, is taking an innovative leadership position by their very forward-looking development of tools and workflows to support the deployment of Canon’s EOS DSLR’s into motion picture production,” stated cinematographer, and past ASC president, Daryn Okada.

“Having shot a theatrical feature using Canon’s EOS DSLR’s (1-D Mark IV, 5D Mark II and the 7D),” stated Tom Stern, AFC, ASC, “I am very supportive of Technicolor and Canon working together to develop the ‘CineStyle’ profile.  This can only help to serve greater utility of the EOS DSLR’s in production cinematography.  I applaud this effort.”

The cooperation between Technicolor and Canon USA, Inc. took place over the last year and was prompted by key professional cinematographers eager to incorporate Canon EOS DSLR cameras into their creative palettes.

Technicolor CineStyle provides cinematographers with a look that allows for the greatest image latitude as production photography moves into editorial and ultimately digital intermediate color-grading and delivery.  The new CineStyle will be unveiled at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada April 11-14 as part of the display in the Canon booth (Central Hall #C4325).

“Technicolor has closely followed the adoption of Canon EOS DSLR cameras into the ranks of professional productions,” stated Technicolor’s chief marketing officer, Ahmad Ouri.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“We remain committed to cinematographers as they adopt new tools and techniques, and, based on the requests we’ve received from many of our creative clients, we have worked with Canon to provide a stable path, originating with these cameras and flowing effortlessly into our post pipeline.”

“We are astounded at how well Canon EOS DSLR products have been received by the broadcast and film community, and very pleased with the beautiful and creative results that have been produced using our equipment,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon USA, Inc. “We are excited about Technicolor’s development of their new CineStyle for Canon EOS DSLR cameras, giving post-production professionals image files with much greater latitude  and versatility when color grading EOS footage.”

Technicolor remains an industry leader in guiding new means of digital cinematography into the post-production pipeline. Technicolor will also demonstrate at NAB its newest iteration of its industry-leading on-set system, DP Lights as part of the CineStyle demonstrations.

canonrumors.com

toobs

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
This is great new but I don't understand why with the use of an EOS DSLR Camera. The Video files this camera shoots to are 50m/bits 4.2.0 H.264 wrapped in MP4 format. This low bandwidth file does not allow much in the way of a 'Digital Intermediate' or LOG colour space, when pushed in colour grading the files break down and become pixelated due to the file being that of a file I would deliver to my clients over email/FTP.

Maybe Canon has RAW Video up there sleeve to announce at NAB!

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »
I think it is great for Canon that they are having so much success in this area. However, for us plebes that are primarily still photographers, I just hope we are not left behind.
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

razbo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »
I think it is great for Canon that they are having so much success in this area. However, for us plebes that are primarily still photographers, I just hope we are not left behind.

Well if that's case, I'll switch to nikon, don't think Im ready to start directing my feature film.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
I think that, for all the talk about convergence, we're starting to move back the other way somewhat.

DSLR's and digital camcorders can definitely both accomplish the same tasks: taking still photography, or creating high quality video.  the question is, how easy is it to do it?  when I take a piece of wood into the shop to work, I have a dozen choices of how I want to work it.  a jigsaw and a bandsaw can do many similar things, a bandsaw and a table saw can do many similar things.  yet these all sell well in the marketplace and none of them have made the others obsolete.  there comes a point when have multiple specialized tools still beats attempting to craft the perfect, one-size-fits-all tool.

cameras and camcorders are tools for the creation of art.  there are times when it may genuinely not matter which one you use.  then there are times where it makes a ton of difference.  sure, the REDs can shoot great, high quality stills.  am I going to haul one around when I'm doing nature photography in the Rockies?  absolutely not.  vice versa, the Canon 5D Mark II can get do video pretty well.  until you realize it doesn't have proper audio inputs, has limited recording time, doesn't have optimized controls, or power zoom, or ... there's a reason cinematographers have been so excited by the recent Panasonic and Sony video products hitting the market that combine large sensors with traditional video form factors.

I think convergence has converged as far as is realistic.  DSLRs will continue to evolve new video abilities but will never turn into a videographer's dream tool.  camcorders with continue to improve resolution and low light abilities and will allow you to take pretty good still frame photography, but are not going to turn into your weapon of choice for serious photography.

Justin

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
Anyone able to speculate on what this means? Is it codec related? Or is it merely a software workflow solution?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
From what I understand, it's a software workflow and picture profile solution. Perhaps picture profile settings to load on your camera and/or specific color profiles for grading footage.

dontNDAme

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
I hate announcements that don't specify availability.....Sure, they are going to show it at NAB....but when do WE get it.

Probably have to wait for a Canon announcement first.

J-Man

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
First a Collaboration with Apple, now with Technicolor, looks like Canon is preparing for battle with RED.
I don't think this will be available with any of the current bodies, but is intended for a new to be announced cine body(like NEX-FS100), and possibly the 5DIII.

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
Perhaps someone can answer me this about the NEX-FS100.

I was looking at the stats on the sony website.  The lens is an 18-200mm lens; however the site says that the 35mm equivalent is 27-300mm (a 1.5 crop).  But the camera boasts Super 35mm sensor.  Am I missing something?

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »
Perhaps someone can answer me this about the NEX-FS100.

I was looking at the stats on the sony website.  The lens is an 18-200mm lens; however the site says that the 35mm equivalent is 27-300mm (a 1.5 crop).  But the camera boasts Super 35mm sensor.  Am I missing something?

That sounds about right. A 35mm motion picture film sensor is roughly equivalent to APS-C.

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
First a Collaboration with Apple, now with Technicolor, looks like Canon is preparing for battle with RED.
I don't think this will be available with any of the current bodies, but is intended for a new to be announced cine body(like NEX-FS100), and possibly the 5DIII.

I hope you're right, but my impression was that this would be a downloadable picture profile, able to be used across the EOS HDSLR range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
That sounds about right. A 35mm motion picture film sensor is roughly equivalent to APS-C.

Huh... I always thought that the Super 35 formal was effective at 35mm, but it seems its more like ~25mmx19mm usable negative.  Doing some more research, I guess 35mm still cameras originally used the same 35mm format as well, but later the frame expanded to 36x24 (like out current FF cameras).

Good stuff to know.  Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »