November 29, 2014, 03:39:13 AM

Author Topic: Meet Damaris (PNSFW)  (Read 5905 times)

trentchau

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Meet Damaris (PNSFW)
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
A new model in Atlanta, trying to get her portfolio together.  This is is a few of her photos taken yesterday. These were shoot at a Lake in North Atlanta.  She kinda has a Mila Kunis thing going for her.

Check out flickr for more: [url ="http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentchau/sets/72157630657450882/with/7607991010/"]Damaris by Trent Chau (Flickr)[/url]

Equipment Used:
Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 85 1.2L II, Canon 50 1.2L, Canon 135 F2L
White Lightning x800 with Vagabond Lithium, and a 42" Brolly Box

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

canon rumors FORUM

Meet Damaris (PNSFW)
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Damaris (PNSFW)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Very nice Trent, keep them coming.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
Beautiful work...really like #3. 
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Great shots. What are you doing for lighting?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

trentchau

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
White Lightning x800, vagabond lithium, and a 42" brolly box

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »

Good work, but the white dot of light reflection on her nose drives me to distraction. The makeup person needs to get the powder working!

Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
I like the compositions, but find the lighting somewhat harsh for my tastes.

#3 especially; her eyes are a bit too far into the dark shadow of the hat with too much light on the white top.
lowering the light source and using a snoot to control the location of the fill a little more might help or use more fill lights.
As long as you're having fun. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
White Lightning x800, vagabond lithium, and a 42" brolly box

Ah, cool. I was wondering if you were using a full strobe or some speedlites. After reading about that Vagabond Lithium pack, that's a really impressive little power supply, especially for that price! I recently got a Yonguo(sp?) with a couple of Phottix Strato RF triggers along with my already purchased 580 EX II and a couple of lightstand mounts. Very cool and handy, but obviously not as much power. Recycle times are not super high, especially on the chinese knockoff, but I just got some Eneloops, so I'll see what it's like with those.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
While i hear what aglet is saying, i like what you did there and wouldn't change a thing.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
While i hear what aglet is saying, i like what you did there and wouldn't change a thing.

i agree with you - I understand aglet's points...BUT, the light from above forms a wonderful highlight on her mischievous grin, while at the same time her eyes are hidden in dark mystery...photo art.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

i agree with you - I understand aglet's points...BUT, the light from above forms a wonderful highlight on her mischievous grin, while at the same time her eyes are hidden in dark mystery...photo art.

Yes, the eyes & face work well that but I'd like the dress toned down about half a stop, maybe more, I find it distractingly bright.
If you don't have snoots, easy to do in Lightroom with a neutral grad dragged up from the bottom left and tweaked to see if it looks better…

I just did a quick 2-grad filter, -0.7 from the bottom with some angle to tone down the white dress a wee bit. Another from the top R corner.  I'd play with it a bit more if I had time, maybe only -0.5 EV grad, slight sat and contrast boost

Also the hot-spot on her left shoulder jumps at me like a case of sunburn.  It's nitpicking for hobby level shooting but if you want to hear some hopefully constructive criticism, I'm full of it.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:27:11 PM by Aglet »

SandyP

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
I like the use of shadows, it helps add depth within the lighting across the frame, we wear these hats (well women do) to do exactly this anyway, there are other ways to work with this with totally different kind of lighting, but for what that shot is, I wouldn't have really changed anything.

trentchau

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »

Yes, the eyes & face work well that but I'd like the dress toned down about half a stop, maybe more, I find it distractingly bright.
If you don't have snoots, easy to do in Lightroom with a neutral grad dragged up from the bottom left and tweaked to see if it looks better…

I just did a quick 2-grad filter, -0.7 from the bottom with some angle to tone down the white dress a wee bit. Another from the top R corner.  I'd play with it a bit more if I had time, maybe only -0.5 EV grad, slight sat and contrast boost

Also the hot-spot on her left shoulder jumps at me like a case of sunburn.  It's nitpicking for hobby level shooting but if you want to hear some hopefully constructive criticism, I'm full of it.  ;D

While I like the idea, part of good thing about a white dress in a field is its glow.  I feel your edit, while showing more detail, actually takes away the personality of the dress.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 01:49:38 AM »
While I like the idea, part of good thing about a white dress in a field is its glow.  I feel your edit, while showing more detail, actually takes away the personality of the dress.

I agree about the glow value of a light colored dress like that for providing an ethereal feel to the shot, it works especially well in a certain situations.

This is all highly subjective, but I find the original version draws my eyes away from her face and towards the lower L part of the image.  There are also the bright green weeds that are getting a little extra illumination and I find they also compete for attention.  Dropping those down an EV or 2 still keeps them in the image for interest but reduces their competitiveness with the main subject, which I presume is the pretty girl under the hat and the interesting expression on her face rather than the dress she's wearing.

And that's just MY opinion. 
Everyone is free to create whatever they wish that appeals to them which is one of the main things that makes photography so engaging and enjoyable.
I'm certainly no conformist to convention in many of my images either and that non-conformist approach does appeal to some viewers even more.  One of the main reasons I was requested for weddings or other work was someone saw what I shot and they decided they liked it more than the usual, more formulaic and formal methods often used.  There are plenty of ways to express that creativity.  Have fun with it and develop whatever style you like. :)

trentchau

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »

I agree about the glow value of a light colored dress like that for providing an ethereal feel to the shot, it works especially well in a certain situations.

This is all highly subjective, but I find the original version draws my eyes away from her face and towards the lower L part of the image.  There are also the bright green weeds that are getting a little extra illumination and I find they also compete for attention.  Dropping those down an EV or 2 still keeps them in the image for interest but reduces their competitiveness with the main subject, which I presume is the pretty girl under the hat and the interesting expression on her face rather than the dress she's wearing.

And that's just MY opinion. 
Everyone is free to create whatever they wish that appeals to them which is one of the main things that makes photography so engaging and enjoyable.
I'm certainly no conformist to convention in many of my images either and that non-conformist approach does appeal to some viewers even more.  One of the main reasons I was requested for weddings or other work was someone saw what I shot and they decided they liked it more than the usual, more formulaic and formal methods often used.  There are plenty of ways to express that creativity.  Have fun with it and develop whatever style you like. :)

Thanks:).  And you are right, it's an opinion and I'm thankful we can all express it cordially. 

Though the develop whatever style you like amuses me...after 9 years of shooting it's still developing.  Stupid diluted stop bath is taking forever.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »