August 21, 2014, 10:50:44 PM

Author Topic: Help with 1D X viewfinder or focus screen  (Read 1103 times)

sephknite

Help with 1D X viewfinder or focus screen
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Hi all. I was taking a few pictures on the 1D X and saw that there are some black dots. I thought it was the eyepiece/viewfinder and cleaned that out, but it was still there. So I took off my lens and looked above the mirror and find some black dots that doesn't seem to want to come off with a brush or air blower. I'm guessing that's the focus screen?

I'm wondering what kind/model the original it is and if I can simply replace that if necessary. Thanks for any assistance.  :-[

canon rumors FORUM

Help with 1D X viewfinder or focus screen
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 1D X viewfinder or focus screen
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
The stock screen is the Ec-C V, but I don't know if they're in stock anywhere yet.  I'm sure Canon would clean/fix under warranty if you're willing to part with it (and part with one-way shipping/insurance charges).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sephknite

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
The stock screen is the Ec-C V, but I don't know if they're in stock anywhere yet.  I'm sure Canon would clean/fix under warranty if you're willing to part with it (and part with one-way shipping/insurance charges).

Hi Neuro. I am on their site right now and it seems like they have the EC_CV in stock. I also see some ebayer selling some as well:

http://stores.ebay.com/Japan-Stop/Canon-/_i.html?_nkw=1dx&submit=Search&LH_TitleDesc=1&_fsub=690438012&_sid=862015362

It doesn't seem too difficult to replace. Do you suggest I try it myself or send it in?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:34 PM »
Should be simple - its designed to be user replaceable, the new screen will come with a replacement tool.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sephknite

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
Should be simple - its designed to be user replaceable, the new screen will come with a replacement tool.

Yeah, it looks simple enough. How about the mirror? Cleaning it shouldn't be that bad, I'm guessing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »