December 18, 2014, 05:49:14 AM

Author Topic: Friends, help me choose a better one! Thanks  (Read 5905 times)

tomfu

Friends, help me choose a better one! Thanks
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »
hey! i am an actress and intrested in directing. i was planning on buying the t4i since i’ve been told that it is much better for videos. i am looking to shoot short films. now i talked to a friend today and he said with my budget, it would be better to buy the t3i and invest the left over money into the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens, rather then buying the t4i with the standart or 18-135 mm lens. what do you recommend? i dont understand sh** about cameras to be honest, but am really determined on learning. so i do want to do the best investment with my money in order to be able to progress in the directing field and be able to shoot some nice films. thanks in advance! Aga

canon rumors FORUM

Friends, help me choose a better one! Thanks
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Friends, help me choose a better one! Thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
I agree with your friend. The image from the T4i appears to be no better than the T3i (and no worse, either). If this is your primary concern - which it sounds like it is - then I think your friend's advice to go for the lower price camera body and spend some money on a good lens makes a lot of sense. I am also assuming that your friend with whom you have discussed this knows more about your preferences and how you intend to use the camera than I, as a complete stranger, can understand from one paragraph. As you can read in other threads here, my advice could be different if you happen to really want a touch screen and autofocus (and perhaps have other preferences related to still photos). Regardless, the T3i is an excellent camera to start making your own films.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
Yep, for video ditch the medium variable aperture zooms and go for primes.

T3i body only (I got a canon refurb for silly cheap) get a Samyang 35mm f1.4 or Canon 35mm f2.0 + Canon 50mm f1.8

The macro is a good portrait perspective lens on a T3i, but it's going to be more limiting.  Also the design and your money is going more towards a dedicated macro lens, which will be of limited use for general video.

The Samyang lens is full manual, but for video this actually quite a good thing.  Be prepared for a steep learning curve, but don't be scared to come back for more advice.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
I'd seriously consider the Panasonic gh2. The body on it will be a bit more expensive than the t3i, but the lenses will be cheaper. Price aside, if you light things properly, it will make the t3i look like a toy, and offer a better image than the 5d3 in many circumstances.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
As I'm sure you know as an actress, directing and dp/cinematography are different things. Do you have any friends that have a small video kit already? Camera + basic lighting? Can you see about borrowing it, or 'renting' it for a weekend and shoot a bit and see what you get?

There's a ton more about actually making good quality video, lighting, sound, etc. If you're in the LA area I'm sure you've got to have a few friends, or have friends that know people who do work for shooting video. See if you can tag along with them on one of their projects, or do some PA work and see how things are actually put together.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
I'd suggest doing some serious research on shooting video with a DSLR first. The main reason these "stills" cameras have become so popular in the "film" world is because of the sensor size, beautiful image quality & availability of so many lenses. What you don't hear so much about is ALL the workarounds needed to accomplish that feat.

You'll also need to invest in: proper stabilization (to avoid jittery images), fluid tripod-head (to help with rolling shutter), an optical/ electronic viewfinder (you need to focus manually off the LCD screen), tons of memory cards (they fill up REALLY FAST at 1080p), batteries (they die fast while on live view), external mic (so you don't hear every little touch of the camera), ND filters (to get the shutter speed down to the proper setting)...

And that is just the bare essential. Then to take it to the next level:

Rod & Rail system, follow-focus unit, gears, matte-box, external audio recorder, more support rigs, and then all the post production needs...

It gets expensive.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
I'd suggest doing some serious research on shooting video with a DSLR first. The main reason these "stills" cameras have become so popular in the "film" world is because of the sensor size, beautiful image quality & availability of so many lenses. What you don't hear so much about is ALL the workarounds needed to accomplish that feat.

You'll also need to invest in: proper stabilization (to avoid jittery images), fluid tripod-head (to help with rolling shutter), an optical/ electronic viewfinder (you need to focus manually off the LCD screen), tons of memory cards (they fill up REALLY FAST at 1080p), batteries (they die fast while on live view), external mic (so you don't hear every little touch of the camera), ND filters (to get the shutter speed down to the proper setting)...

Rod & Rail system, follow-focus unit, gears, matte-box, external audio recorder, more support rigs, and then all the post production needs...

It gets expensive.
Read his reply Carefully....
and do a search on each item, you'll find the T3i/T4i probably the *Cheapest* thing in the rig to make good film clip

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »

It gets expensive.
The T2i is perfectly capable of recording great videos without most of that stuff, agreed it will all help, but it's not necessary for every application, as long as you bring the camera closer to your body and keep it steady. I've never had any trouble focusing off the back LCD, except in bright sunlight. Extra batteries are needed, but Memory Cards don't fill up THAT fast. Especially for short-movie filming, where you're usually only recording a couple minutes at a time. While the on board sound is far from ideal, it can be used, I would recommend getting an external mic. though.
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »

It gets expensive.

With the exception of a viewfinder ($30 on ebay) and ND filters, all of that stuff is needed for just about any film or video work with any camcorder. Film-making is expensive no matter what cameras you are using - but DSLR's let you get better images for less money.

I think the t3i is a great choice for somebody just starting out in video production, espescially narrative film-making. Add a few decent lenses (50mm f/1.4 is a great starting point) and you can get started producing great images.
5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »
Add a few decent lenses (50mm f/1.4 is a great starting point) and you can get started producing great images.

Even the nifty fifty 50mm f/1.8 is pretty good for video on a crop sensor. Maybe throw in the new 40mm f/2.8 (especially if you get a T4i and use the video AF), or one of the cheaper 24/28/30 to go wider.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »

It gets expensive.

With the exception of a viewfinder ($30 on ebay) and ND filters, all of that stuff is needed for just about any film or video work with any camcorder. Film-making is expensive no matter what cameras you are using - but DSLR's let you get better images for less money.

I think the t3i is a great choice for somebody just starting out in video production, espescially narrative film-making. Add a few decent lenses (50mm f/1.4 is a great starting point) and you can get started producing great images.

My point was that since the OP said, "I don't know sh** about cameras...", that there are a ton more expenses and things to know besides getting a camera and lens to capture beautiful footage for a short film. Its a good start, but the accessories add up quick and it just needs to be budgeted for. Granted you can get going with minimal gear, but if you want to direct a short film, I don't think showing up on a set with just a rebel and one lens do direct a film is a great move.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
I'd opt for the T4i and the 40mm STM pancake lens and / or  18-135mm STM lens.  This is the first Canon DSLR that will autofocus while doing video, and it is designed to work with the STM lenses which have relatively silent AF motors.
The T3i is not optomized with these lenses.  It won't autofocus while doing video, so spending money on a AF lens for video is a waste, no matter which.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 03:02:11 AM »
@pdirestajr
Rod & Rail system, follow-focus unit, gears, matte-box, external audio recorder, more support rigs

Don't quite agree.

I have a hague stabiliser and a fig rig, both only occassionaly used.

I never got the whole rod & rail and accessories idea.  Works great on conventional 2/3rd format camcorder lenses with proper end stops, aperture rings and zooms that hold back focus.  One of the greatest things about DSLR shooting for me is the portability.  The simple and compact form.  The discretion.

I can see the point of follow focus and zoom demands when you are standing behind a large video camera, I think they are almost entirely superfluous when you can touch the focus ring when its a foot away from you.

I don't agree with the external audio recorder unless you have a dedicated sound op, who will have their own preference as to what kit to use and probably provide their own kit as well.

I prefer recording in camera, via a beachtek XLR adaptor.  It gives me files  I can work with straight away and the sound quality is no worse than what I get from my regular ENG cameras.  I'm a great advocate of XLR mics and proper placement etc, but I can't get hung up about AAC's shortcomings when the picture is H264...

Agree with the screen and filters etc.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
@pdirestajr
Rod & Rail system, follow-focus unit, gears, matte-box, external audio recorder, more support rigs

Don't quite agree.

That's why I said "then to take it to the next level...".

Those item aren't necessary. But again, the OP said they want to "direct short films".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »