July 29, 2014, 01:53:12 AM

Author Topic: 1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!  (Read 6243 times)

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Hey, as I found out a few Months back, there is still a problem with Pocket Wizards and the 5D III. I just got
My 1D X and the problem with it is worse. Even at 1/125 there is a black bar on the frame. I downloaded the latest beta for my TT-1 and it still doesn't sync my Einstein flashes
With pocket wizard PowerMC 2's.
According to PW's website, this beta release is still NOT compatible with 5D or 1DX. They claim they are working on it... Basically I have a new
Camera Which I can't use at the studio!
The system is great though with a 1D IV. I also have a PW AC-3. which lets me control power output for 3 flashes in real time from the camera.
I am really disappointed and rathet irate that they haven't fixed the problem.
I really thought the problem was the sync limitation of the 5D but it is worse
On th 1D.
:(
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »

3kramd5

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
Is it uncommon that third party gear doesn't work right away with new-to-market products?
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
No real option other than to wait for PW to reverse engineer a fix.  The 5DIII will be their priority, then the 1D X. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
I think you have it backward in the title.  The Pocket Wizard is not compatible with the D1 X. 
Thats to be expected.  Every time Canon makes a improvement or change in a new model, many third party products that have attempted to reverse engineer Canon's interface have to update their products.  Its happened to lenses as well, it hit Sigma twice.
Sometimes, they are unable to fix it, but that seems unlikkely here.  It took PW a few months to get their unit working with the 5D MK II which tipped me off to avoid them.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:57:36 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

tamedia

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
Considering there have been no bodies to develop new firmware on, I am not surprised at all.
How could you possibly expect code to be written for a camera you have not even seen?

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
Considering there have been no bodies to develop new firmware on, I am not surprised at all.
How could you possibly expect code to be written for a camera you have not even seen?
The 5D has been out for a few months.
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
I'm still using my 5D 2 for studio work.. I hope they get the new firmware with 1dx support soon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »

Yeah, but a few months in PocketWizard time is like a few days in the real world.  I like their products, but I don't know that they've ever come even close to hitting a scheduled release date.  I mean, it's like they think they're Canon or something...   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
A few as in 6 or more months.

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »
Here's what I've got from PocketWizard support in my mail-box:

Thank you for your inquiry. We just got our 5D Mark III in very recently, and are working hard to test it for full compatibility with our ControlTL radios. This is what we've been telling everyone about the new offerings from Canon and Nikon:

... /* boring text */

You may also be interested in this newspost: http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/news/firmware_release_plan/

The realease plan looked the same when I checked one month ago.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »
Just to toot THAT horn again, it works perfect with the Phottix Odin and always has. Tried with the first firmware on a Sample 1d X and it worked. Used it a lot on my 5d3 and it works without a single hitch, no matter which speed I shoot.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:59 AM »
Just to toot THAT horn again, it works perfect with the Phottix Odin and always has. Tried with the first firmware on a Sample 1d X and it worked. Used it a lot on my 5d3 and it works without a single hitch, no matter which speed I shoot.

The Phottix Odins come up from time to time when compatibility issues with PocketWizard is discussed.  One must keep in mind that the two companies are from two different countries that operate under different laws.

Phottix is a Chinese company, and is simply forwarding the stock Canon flash code on to its receivers.  They can only get away with this by operating outside the USA.  On the flip side, as an American company PocketWizard cannot use Canon's codes without violating US patents.  To get around this, they reverse engineer the flash codes, transmit a proprietary PocketWizard code, which is then converted back to Canon's coding on the receiving end.  A bit of a mess which requires the long and tedious process of reverse engineering when new products launch.  Unfortunately, it's the only way PW can operate in the USA and remain legal.  If all they were doing was sending out Canon signals in a PocketWizard branded box (the Phottix approach), they'd be slapped with a lawsuit in no time.

There are pros/cons to both systems, and pros/cons to working with a foreign manufacturer vs. a US supplier.  To each their own.  I just think it should be understood why one system often works "out of the box" when the other does not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:37:35 AM by justsomedude »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »

The Phottix Odins come up from time to time when compatibility issues with PocketWizard is discussed.  One must keep in mind that the two companies are from two different countries that operate under different laws.

Phottix is a Chinese company, and is simply forwarding the stock Canon flash code on to its receivers.  They can only get away with this by operating outside the USA.  On the flip side, as an American company PocketWizard cannot use Canon's codes without violating US patents.  To get around this, they reverse engineer the flash codes, transmit a proprietary PocketWizard code, which is then converted back to Canon's coding on the receiving end.  A bit of a mess which requires the long and tedious process of reverse engineering when new products launch.  Unfortunately, it's the only way PW can operate in the USA and remain legal.  If all they were doing was sending out Canon signals in a PocketWizard branded box (the Phottix approach), they'd be slapped with a lawsuit in no time.

There are pros/cons to both systems, and pros/cons to working with a foreign manufacturer vs. a US supplier.  To each their own.  I just think it should be understood why one system often works "out of the box" when the other does not.

That is of course a very valid point, and I'm glad you pointed it out.

But I must admit, I reeaally don't care about what law says what when I'm buying a very expensive product that promises gold and unicorns and fail on every single level when I wanted to use them.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »

.. I never thought of it that way.. Interesting to know!

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
That is of course a very valid point, and I'm glad you pointed it out.

But I must admit, I reeaally don't care about what law says what when I'm buying a very expensive product that promises gold and unicorns and fail on every single level when I wanted to use them.

Like I said, to each their own.  If functionality is your only factor when purchasing gear, then Phottix offers a very attractive solution.  Those seeking other points of satisfaction may be swayed by the competition.  Throwing my own two cents into the hat... I've dropped Flex units, suffered the 580EX flash tube failure, and every item damaged has been serviced by PocketWizard free of charge and returned with expedited shipping. 

That's a very big plus to me.  But I can certainly understand how others might be less interested by service, when their only requirement is instant gratification with compatibility with the latest gear.  That's why competition exists!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »