December 17, 2014, 05:02:01 PM

Author Topic: 1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!  (Read 6872 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X NOT compatible with Pocket Wizard!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
Unfortunately, it's the only way PW can operate in the USA and remain legal.  If all they were doing was sending out Canon signals in a PocketWizard branded box (the Phottix approach), they'd be slapped with a lawsuit in no time.

There are pros/cons to both systems, and pros/cons to working with a foreign manufacturer vs. a US supplier.  To each their own.  I just think it should be understood why one system often works "out of the box" when the other does not.
Nice theory, but all Canon has to do is file a complaint and all Phottix imports would be siezed or banned.  Its the same as Apple filing a complaint against Samsung.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »

Simon Newton

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
Considering there have been no bodies to develop new firmware on, I am not surprised at all.
How could you possibly expect code to be written for a camera you have not even seen?

After nearly another nine months how do people feel about this ?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
I feel ok since the current beta firmware supports normal manual control with the 1D X, including AC3 and blended TT5/monolight control.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Cyber commander works fantastic for Einstein strobes, why not use the sync port for the einsteins and the PW's on the hot shoe to trigger speedlites? (if used)

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
I feel ok since the current beta firmware supports normal manual control with the 1D X, including AC3 and blended TT5/monolight control.
I actually prefer the 1Dx-version over the TTL-capable default - power tracking for manually controlled speedlights is more helpful then the TTL-inherent randomness if one works with changing apertures. Makes me wonder if that will transfer to the other cameras... :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
I actually prefer the 1Dx-version over the TTL-capable default - power tracking for manually controlled speedlights is more helpful then the TTL-inherent randomness if one works with changing apertures.

Agreed.

I'm onto the next dilemma. I've just sold my pair of 430's and picked up a second 600EX and an ST-E3-RT. I have two 24" Ezyboxes for Speedlites and a 48" octabox for the Einstein). 

So...a Lastolite 48x12" and maybe a 3rd 600, or a PCB strip box with a second Einstein and PowerMC2?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PaulTopol

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
Why not just plug the transmitter into the pc plug for the moment?
Do you lose any features?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »

MyPhotographer

• Power Shot G7X
  • EOS 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/677MiniTT1FlexTT5_Canon_6.201_betafirmware_releasenotes.pdf

The Canon 1D X will work in the ControlTL® system with some important operational considerations:
• Manual power control only – No TTL. TTL is not currently available when using the 1D X with a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5. See additional information on the next page.
• Manual power control operates normally, which includes the following functions:
• Manual power control for X-sync
• Manual power control for HSS
• HyperSync®
• Rear Curtain Sync
• AC3 ZoneController with the zone set to “M” for Manual
• Manual power control of compatible flashes like Einstein E640, AlienBees, White Lightning, and select Elinchrom flashes
• Improved HyperSync performance. New HyperSync enhancements allow for the 1D X to perform well when shooting with studio flash above X-sync.
• PowerTracking with the Canon 1D X works with “Full Manual” and the new
“Full Manual + FEC” setting. Other PowerTracking settings are not available
at this time.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
You can always use the good ol' fashion sync cord that comes with your flashes...  But yeah, these cameras have nearly been out a good year and we are still twiddling our thumbs for PW to show up to the game...  At least with my 5d3 and PW3, i can get good results at 1/160. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »