July 24, 2014, 02:34:41 AM

Author Topic: Why does Canon USA not honor consumer product warranties?  (Read 6145 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Canon USA not honor consumer product warranties?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
and fails to provide any explanation that is meaningful as to why they refuse to perform their obligation.

Except that they did provide an explanation, they inspected and determined that the camera had been damaged by the user.   I'm not saying that they are right or wrong in their assessment, but they did tell you why they are denying the warranty claim.

If they took anyone at their word that a product wasn't dropped or otherwise damaged by the owner, it wouldn't be just $100 as you stated, it would be millions because everyone who dropped their camera would send it back and claim "it just suddenly stopped working".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
You have to keep in mind when you call support, their minimum wage people dont give a S___ about you—and probably dont care about Canon beyond receiving their paycheck.  Of course there might be some outliers, but in general if you go in from this POV you'll get better results.

I would have called back mentioning that their must have been a mistake and that you need help.  Acting frustrated, making threats, asking for managers, pointing fingers and name dropping how much gear or how long you've been a customer isn't going to get you far.  It's just pointless, and they hear it all day.  (I assume you must have mentioned all your L glass, like you did in this post)  At that point, you've only guaranteed that they will refuse to do anything for you that they dont absolutely have to do.  Instead, act concerned about the issue and come at it from the POV that you are relieved to be in contact with the rep and be thankful whenever they do say anything helpful (because everyone likes feel accomplished—especially phone reps, since its a break from the 95% of angry callers).  You might even get them offering up solutions you didnt know were possible if you play your cards well enough.

I'm not saying dont be mad—I would be too.  But when you show it you get no where (I can speak from experience there lol).
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »
and fails to provide any explanation that is meaningful as to why they refuse to perform their obligation.

Except that they did provide an explanation, they inspected and determined that the camera had been damaged by the user.   I'm not saying that they are right or wrong in their assessment, but they did tell you why they are denying the warranty claim.

If they took anyone at their word that a product wasn't dropped or otherwise damaged by the owner, it wouldn't be just $100 as you stated, it would be millions because everyone who dropped their camera would send it back and claim "it just suddenly stopped working".

Telling the user they are a liar is not a *meaningful* explanation.

A *meaningful* explanation would be something like "the reason it zooms to the long end by itself and then you can't control it is because the ____ is broken (or malfunctioning). This typically happens because ____."

At a minimum, a *meaningful* explanation acknowledges the symptons, identifies a tangible cause, and postulates a reason why it would happen.

No?

When I hear "you dropped it" as the only explanation as to why a cosmetically mint camera that hasn't been dropped isn't going to be covered, the most likely explanation for that is that they probably didn't bother to even inspect it beyond maybe turning it on and seeing that its malfunctioning.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:20:03 PM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
(I assume you must have mentioned all your L glass, like you did in this post)  At that point, you've only guaranteed that they will refuse to do anything for you that they dont absolutely have to do

I've not been involved except to hear the story, As for any sort of threats or rudeness, the user didn't go down that road.

I shared my part here because to me that is the value of boards like this, to share experiences about what is good and what is not so good. I have a couple of bad experiences, others are pleased as punch, airing all of it here gives whoever wants to read a little more info to work with for themselves.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
In your first post you say

“First Canon USA implicitly [implied] calls her a liar”

In your post #32 you say

“Telling the user they are a liar”

If whoever she was talking to explicitly said she was lying (hopefully you have name) I would write a letter of complaint specifically on that issue and send it recorded.

As for the camera, in the UK anyway we have something called Citizens Advice I don’t know if you have anything similar, anyway without resorting to a lawyer or small claims court they will (neutrally) help with disputes like this, I had a situation a while a go where they wrote a letter confirming the issue I had with a retailer and reminding them of their responsibilities under trading law. The matter was resolved very very quickly. I believe the letter head alone was enough for them to adjust their position.
Hopefully you could do something like this.

Good luck and don’t let the red mist get in the way!

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
If I was in the OP's place, I'd call Canon Service back and ask them on what basis they determined it was an impact damage. It is a fair question to ask. In fact, I'd write to them so I have a record of their response.
I can understand being frustrated by poor customer support and wanting to vent, but this is what I'd have done before (and in addition to) expressing myself on this forum. My 2 cents.

Perhaps the pragmatic lesson is to become a CPS member if you own enough equipment to qualify.

I have enough equipment, and believe that $ 100 to be well spent, but unfortunately I don't make any money from photography to qualify.  :(
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »
 Do you watch myth busters?   they use very simple  tools to determine shock trauma.   it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't something even in the cheap cameras  that provided this feedback loop.

so if you did go to small claims court or an arbitrator...  and Canon provides scientific evidence that there was trauma outside of normal operating conditions,  would you then concede and say your mother in law was either lieing or ignorant to the damage caused by another. 

which raises the question,  how much information is the  consumer entitled to.  I  don't think they should be required to provide all of that information.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
If I was in the OP's place, I'd call Canon Service back and ask them on what basis they determined it was an impact damage. It is a fair question to ask. In fact, I'd write to them so I have a record of their response.
I can understand being frustrated by poor customer support and wanting to vent, but this is what I'd have done before (and in addition to) expressing myself on this forum. My 2 cents.

Perhaps the pragmatic lesson is to become a CPS member if you own enough equipment to qualify.

I have enough equipment, and believe that $ 100 to be well spent, but unfortunately I don't make any money from photography to qualify.  :(

sell some boudoir photos of your neighbor to your wife.   done.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:18 AM »

sell some boudoir photos of your neighbor to your wife.   done.

Good one, but USCIS would be on my ass  ;D (I am on work visa)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:18 AM »