August 23, 2014, 09:29:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Specs  (Read 31838 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Canon EOS M Specs
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »

I have zero interest in this particular product, but I'm enthusiastically interested in what Canon will say about it.

What they say about this whole new technology path they're taking may indicate a lot about the future. Tomorrow may be one of the more interesting days of this interesting year.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

gn100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
How long does it usually take Canon cameras to come to market after they've been officially announced.

With consumer grade equipment, normally very soon after announcement, pro stuff is a different matter ...... I'd expect this to be available very soon

gn100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm truly confused as to the market for the mirror less cameras that fall between the G1X series and an SLR.

1. With any lens, it is not pocketable.
2. Requires company to make an entirely new set of lenses on a new mount.

What kind of customer is best suited for this niche?

I to some extent agree with your sentiment, but note that mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are selling well ........... those moving up from a P&S are one category, another is enthusiast/pro who wants a small backup, and those that want something smaller, but are just not happy with the quality of the P&S offerings (though I admit the premium P&S offerings are much better now, than a year ago), so are willing to compromise on pocketability.

I don't expect Canon to have a large range of lenses available in the short term - couple of zooms and a couple of pancake type primes. They will probably push the EF lens adapter to show the wide range of EF and EF-S lenses as a point of difference

I'll be interested to see how far off the "premium" model is, with EVF.

I'm surprised Canon opted for APS-C format instead of the G1X size sensor, which could have allowed for a noticeably smaller package (lenses in particular)

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
I'm wondering if this would make a good astrophotography camera......

My first thought also

Sonny

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
That's a sore point after the 1D-X fiasco.

Ok, after a quick read up on that situation, 'fiasco' sounds about right!

How long does it usually take Canon cameras to come to market after they've been officially announced.

With consumer grade equipment, normally very soon after announcement, pro stuff is a different matter ...... I'd expect this to be available very soon

Great thank you, will look forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

I'm surprised Canon opted for APS-C format instead of the G1X size sensor, which could have allowed for a noticeably smaller package (lenses in particular)

Why are you surprised ??? I think that Canon sees Sony as a bigger competitor (threat to Canon dominance) than either Panasonic or Olympus. Sony already makes the highly regarded NEX cameras, with APS-C sensors, that are owned by many Canon owners (including me).

Sony will also introduce a Full Frame SLT (EVF viewfinder) camera at Photokine (if rumors are to be believed). A threat to Canon in the Full Frame market.

pharp

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
I'm truly confused as to the market for the mirror less cameras that fall between the G1X series and an SLR.

1. With any lens, it is not pocketable.
2. Requires company to make an entirely new set of lenses on a new mount.

What kind of customer is best suited for this niche?

The same people who buy 4/3 systems [many sold], Sony NEX [especially those who shelled out almost $400 for the still sold out Conrus/Metabones EF lens to NEX adapter http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter], Fuji X Pro 1, Nikon 1, Pentax Q, Samsung NX .....

OK, so maybe this isn't for you, but if this has reasonable IQ and a competitive price, I think it will sell quite well. It makes no sense for Canon to NOT get into, what is evidently a fast growing segment of the market. Not a "niche" by any stretch.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:31:22 PM by pharp »

Nassen0f

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
Sweet, then i wont be tempted to get a NEX anymore, aslong as the price is right.
Perfect as a carryaround, if i dont want to bring my 5d2 :)

As to who buys mirrorless cameras, its people that dont do too much research, but have money, and dont want a DSLR..
Ive been asked 5 times the last three months about people wanting a good camera that is NOT huge, and NOT too complicated. If this is not overpriced, i will start suggesting this instead of the NEX, GF3.

Cant wait to see results of this pocketrocket on the badboy 85 1.2  8)

raptor3x

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Am I the only who thinks the most exciting aspect of this is phase detect autofocus in a mirrorless system?

It sound exciting but the results from the T4i/650D (same sensor as EOS M) in live view with STM lens show something else.

After you posted this, I went out to try a demo model and thought that the live view focusing was pretty good for stills but not that great for video.  Is there a way to make it behave like one shot focus in video rather than have it try to do something like servo mode?
Bodies: 1Ds3,5D3,X-T1,A7 Lenses:  16-35L F4 IS, X 18-55 2.8-4, Σ 35 1.4 A, Σ 50 1.4 A, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 100L IS, 135L,  70-200L F2.8 IS II

gn100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:07 PM »

Why are you surprised ??? I think that Canon sees Sony as a bigger competitor (threat to Canon dominance) than either Panasonic or Olympus. Sony already makes the highly regarded NEX cameras, with APS-C sensors, that are owned by many Canon owners (including me).

Sony will also introduce a Full Frame SLT (EVF viewfinder) camera at Photokine (if rumors are to be believed). A threat to Canon in the Full Frame market.

Agree with your point re Sony being a bigger threat to canon's business than Olympus or Panasonic, but when Canon went ot the effort of introducing a new sensor size, I thought they would deploy it to more camera's than the G1X......... it's made me wonder whether they used the G1X to "test the water" with regard to sensor size, before introducing their mirrorless offering. I think both sensor sizes have their merits. I tried the G1X and agree that it has a pretty large body for the size of the sensor - will be interested to see this new offering side by side with the G1X.

I need to replace my old compact (Canon S70), and now see plenty of good options ..... just a case of the physical size vs image quality compromise from Canon S100 to Sony RX100 to Panasonic GX1+20mm to Canon EOS-M?

AdamJ

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
Please could someone clarify for me how this camera does phase detect AF. Is there some kind of technical white paper I could read to help me understand it? Thanks.

pharp

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »

and if they can develop a phase contrast AF system, like Canon - they could dispense with the stop gap translucent mirror altogether - a true mirrorless prosumer camera. If the EVF is any good and has a fast fps shooting rate - can it be long before we see a mirrorless 5D? Wouldn't even need to change the mount [flange distance]. Add to that, the Olympus OM-D EVF magnification and brighten/darken function - oh boy! Sony purportedly has no plans for future OVF SLR style cameras.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:50:21 PM by pharp »

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
I am curious to see the IQ of this M against the Sony RX100!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
I am curious to see the IQ of this M against the Sony RX100!
??? Why? Two different type of products.
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
I'm very glad to see canon release this. I doubt I'll will purchase this 1st model but its hard to tell with out real world in the field data. I would like some sort of viewfinded even a modular one.

I have no idea what the price will be - Canon's been fairly high lately though. I would like it if the price is competitive but would not be surprised if its released at over a grand u.s.d. (including glass).
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera