November 23, 2014, 01:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Specs  (Read 34526 times)

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M Specs
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
For those who don't get this camera, let me suggest that we may not understand the generational and cultural differences.

For old American guys like me, a viewfinder is non-negotiable. But for many people, especially the young, who shoot mostly with smartphones, the idea of sticking your eye up against the back of the camera is equally foreign and unnatural.

Yes, there is a huge generational disconnect. Many older photographers scoff at smartphone photography. But PJs are winning World Press awards, and being published in the pages of the NYTimes, using an iPhone/Hipstmatic. Sports Illustrated is publishing iPhone/Instagram photos. Neither of theses publications are what you'd call "bleeding edge."

I'm older-than-dirt, so I don't hold my NEX 5n at arms length. I've adopted to holding the camera just inches from my eyes (elbows braced against my chest), no-big-deal. I don't think I'll have a problem with the EF-M. YMMV

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
I used to have a 550D/T2i, and if this is equal in image quality (and naturally if the lenses for this system performs great), then I don’t see why I wouldn’t choose this over a point and shoot or m4/3. I already have a Fuji X10, but the EF-compatibility of this camera would make it a better choice in my case.

The only thing I miss is a viewfinder. The other mirrorless manufacturers does have several models with different features (but often the same sensor), so that might just happen at a later point in time. I’m looking forward to it and tomorrow.

Otara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »
No body IS.

I guess it was a given, but doesnt pretty much every other mirrorless out there have it?

Maybe saving it for the more expensive body, like Olympus did with the 410 and 510.

I know Im dreaming.  To me its just one of the obvious advantages of an electronic screen - you can see the effects of the IS working with body stabilisation.

Otara

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
For those who don't get this camera, let me suggest that we may not understand the generational and cultural differences.

Hey - who you callin' old?!?   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »

I'm surprised Canon opted for APS-C format instead of the G1X size sensor, which could have allowed for a noticeably smaller package (lenses in particular)

Why are you surprised ??? I think that Canon sees Sony as a bigger competitor (threat to Canon dominance) than either Panasonic or Olympus. Sony already makes the highly regarded NEX cameras, with APS-C sensors, that are owned by many Canon owners (including me).

Sony will also introduce a Full Frame SLT (EVF viewfinder) camera at Photokine (if rumors are to be believed). A threat to Canon in the Full Frame market.

at risk of going a little OT which nex do you have? do you have an EF lens adaptor for it? if so how well does the EF adaptor work and is it a sony or 3rd party beast?

I find it difficult to get excited about another 18MP APS-C canon sensor
APS-H Fanboy

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »
I'm truly confused as to the market for the mirror less cameras that fall between the G1X series and an SLR.

1. With any lens, it is not pocketable.

I have a panasonic GF series (similar size to the new Canon). With a pancake prime, it is jacket pocketable (it will fit in a pants pocket but it makes quite a bulge)

"Pocketable" is not the one true gold standard for compactness. Female camera buyers typically carry handbags, and the small mirrorless cameras will fit into a handbag quite easily. A DSLR with a standard zoom doesn't work nearly as well.

The physical size of a usable kit is much smaller. For example, my gf2 + 20mm pancake + 45mm will fit in my wife's purse. The 5DII + Sigma 85mm + 35L will not.

2. Requires company to make an entirely new set of lenses on a new mount.

That's inconvenient for the manufacturer perhaps, but it doesn't in itself make the camera less desirable for the buyer (the implied wait before the lens lineup matures might be however)

What kind of customer is best suited for this niche?

DSLR users who want a less imposing companion to their big full frame but aren't willing to settle for point and shoot.

Users who want a good quality camera but want it to be smaller than a DSLR. It might take a sophisticated user to appreciate all the features offered by a 1DX or even a Rebel. It doesn't take a very sophisticated user to get annoyed with the time it takes for the AF system to lock on, the blurry images that result from slow shutter speed (due to the slow lens and ISO limitations of a small sensor camera), or red eye, ugly lighting and slow recharge from a P&S flash. This camera seems to be aimed at such users.

In the case of some of the high end mirrorless, some enthusiasts enjoy the ability to adapt lenses.

jpk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
Is it just me or is this just a non event?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
This camera is pointless without a built in flash.

Once you attach an accessory flash it is no longer compact, totally defeats the purpose.

Will be sticking with the GF1.

assessora

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
No body IS.

I guess it was a given, but doesnt pretty much every other mirrorless out there have it?

I think Sony and Samsung mirrorless cameras don't have IS in the body.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:52:15 PM by assessora »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »

For old American guys like me, a viewfinder is non-negotiable. But for many people, especially the young, who shoot mostly with smartphones, the idea of sticking your eye up against the back of the camera is equally foreign and unnatural.

Yes, there is a huge generational disconnect. Many older photographers scoff at smartphone photography. But PJs are winning World Press awards, and being published in the pages of the NYTimes, using an iPhone/Hipstmatic. Sports Illustrated is publishing iPhone/Instagram photos. Neither of theses publications are what you'd call "bleeding edge."

I'm older-than-dirt, so I don't hold my NEX 5n at arms length. I've adopted to holding the camera just inches from my eyes (elbows braced against my chest), no-big-deal. I don't think I'll have a problem with the EF-M. YMMV

Living in a "tourist city" (Melbourne) I cannot tell you how many DSLR users I see using only liveview to shoot.  For me, I want to be able to brace the camera properly, and an eye-level viewfinder is pretty critical for that.  That said, I never use the VF on a G-series, because it is a piece of cr@p.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
I guess I'll jump into the waters in this thread. Is this camera for people who want--but can't afford--a pricey rangefinder, a la Leica?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

Once you attach an accessory flash it is no longer compact, totally defeats the purpose.

Is the built in flash useful in your GF1?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »
I guess I'll jump into the waters in this thread. Is this camera for people who want--but can't afford--a pricey rangefinder, a la Leica?

Who'd ever care about M9 as there's no-built in flash at all?  ;)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »

Is the built in flash useful in your GF1?

The built in flash was used constantly on my Contax T3, my Canon S70, G9, S95 and used nearly every night on my GF1. Really can't live with out it.

I'm fine with my "flashless" 1Ds3 and 5D2... but neither are intended to be pocketable. Popping on the 580EX2 just makes an already massive camera a little bigger, I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:07:36 PM by hiplnsdrftr »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

at risk of going a little OT which nex do you have? do you have an EF lens adaptor for it? if so how well does the EF adaptor work and is it a sony or 3rd party beast?

I have a NEX 5n. Great sensor! Same 16 MP sensor as the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K-5. Great video as well. I'm very happy with the camera. The two problems are the lack of a hot-shoe (can't use PocketWizards) and no 85mm prime. If I get an EF-M I'll use it for stills (with my EF 85mm f/1.8) and use the 5n for video (I prefer Sony video).

I do not have the Metabones http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter?virtuemart_product_id=4&virtuemart_category_id=13 EF to E-mount smart adapter. Sony does not make an adapter.

If I were going to use non-Sony lenses, for video, I'd use the small/light high IQ Nikon AIS manual focus lenses. Their aperture ring can easily be de-clicked. See Duclos CineMod  http://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/cine-mod

Hope this helps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »