September 15, 2014, 12:38:15 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Specs  (Read 32344 times)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M Specs
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:22 AM »
I'd been trying to figure it an explanation to mirrorless and this does it. Kinda.  I haven't seen mirrorless cameras that offer picture quality or size-savings that would justify the price difference.

Take a look at the Panasonic GF series, for example. They are pretty closely matched in size to a point and shoot (especially if you're comparing with larger models like a G12), and the earlier models are relatively cheap now.

Lower end bodies tend to fall off in price very quickly, so if you don't have to have the newest shiniest toy, they are pretty cheap.

BTW, I've always felt the G series  started to show its age once  similar sized cameras with much larger sensors started appearing on the market -- it's what pushed Canon to up the ante and build a fixed lens replacement with a larger sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:22 AM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »
THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE HOW IT COULD BE. DON'T THINK THERE IS SUCH A VERSION OF EOS-M!

Um, if they were to release an EVF, I'm not sure a pop-up in that position would work. They could have a side-mounted one, though. Preferably one that swivels so that you can bounce it or some white card or a reflector at close range.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE HOW IT COULD BE. DON'T THINK THERE IS SUCH A VERSION OF EOS-M!

Um, if they were to release an EVF, I'm not sure a pop-up in that position would work. They could have a side-mounted one, though. Preferably one that swivels so that you can bounce it or some white card or a reflector at close range.

Sure, I've spent just 5 minutes to show, that it could be a high popping up buil-in flash to avoid a shadow casting by lens. Sure you're right, but this camera has no VF and no flash yet. I hope in next one we'll see a VF.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Gman

Canon EOS M size
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »
No good to me.. The body is a decent size however once you begin adding lenses, a flash and adapters it's no longer got any advantage over my G11 which I can easily pop into my bum bag. If this isn't coming out until October anyway and there's no hint at a G12 successor I guess if I am going to get something slightly better than my G11 it will have to be the G12 at least that's half the price of the EOS-M.  I'd go for the new Sony except I'd miss the swivel screen and at least I wont have to learn a new menu system.

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
I like it. But as other have said, the choice of ergonomics is a killer. menu driven photography sucks. But it is a great step forward. However I'm still not seeing a good enough compeling argument to own one over competing alternatives specially given the size of the mount adapter and the price/weight of EF lenses. If it had come out with a bunch of fast primes, I may consider it. For now mounting old-age EF lenses is just not going to cut it.

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »

"if i fits i sits"?  ;D

No viewfinder neverminder

oh crap. then it is totally a no-go. That is one thing I was hoping it had because LCDs are utter fail in bright sunny conditions.

Freeze_XJ

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
Ergonomics will always be tricky with small cameras like these. However, if Canon wants to have a 'budget'-line that is appealing to Joe Average, they will have to reduce size somewhere, to make the camera more pocketable.

With this camera, they may well have shown what the 700D or 750D will look like, reducing the complex mirror setup, and forcing the OVF user to 1-up to the X0D.
As for flash, it's technically very hard (I won't say impossible) to put one in, because if I measure just a 40D, the flash is roughly 10 centimeters above the optical axis, and even that gives shadows pretty fast. With a total height of 66 mm, this camera would have to make its flash pop an extra 6 centimeters above the body to achieve the same effect, which would make it fragile at best. The option of swright might be good, to put a flash in the sides, which would put it on top for portrait mode (where it matters most), giving you an extra inch or so to play with.
Still, the pocketable flash you can buy to it is an OK option in my book. You can save weight/money if you want, or take it with you when you think you might need it. It may also be a nice backup-flash for your big rig, since most of the buyers of this camera will already have invested a lot of money in lenses, and other gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
same tech specs since 2009.
another canon flop show.

Not exactly - the dimensions of a camera are part of the tech specs. And in terms
of compactness (if used with the 22mm lens) and the sensor size it is an advance
for those who just want to use that package. I think there is some progress
and if it's a flop - the buyers will decide.

As stated in my post above I am more interested in the 650D to acquire the
option of video with EF(-S) lenses - this camera (the EOS M) isn't the right upgrade
for ME because it is to limited and for that it's to expensive.

'' dimensions ''
you r the funny guy.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M size
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
If this isn't coming out until October anyway and there's no hint at a G12 successor I guess if I am going to get something slightly better than my G11 it will have to be the G12 at least that's half the price of the EOS-M.
G1X? I'd say the price will come down a fair bit with this latest release...

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »
if i really wanted a compact and solid powerful camera.
i would go to OM-D from olympus. Not for an old sensor wrapped in new shell.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »

Most power comes here from the lens selection, which BTW makes it no pocketable anymore. :)

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »

Olympus OM-D is certainly an attractive camera except for its forbidding price. Guess Olympus must have paid Sony a large sum of money to design and produce the OM-D sensor.

Freeze_XJ

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
Most power comes here from the lens selection, which BTW makes it no pocketable anymore. :)
Current selection of pocketable lenses is indeed limited (just the 22 f/2), but I expect Canon to expand that over time... With adapter perhaps the new 40 f/2.8 also becomes pocketable, but I'm not sure yet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »

This can be said for any Canon camera, no matter how crappy it is...
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »

This can be said for any Canon camera, no matter how crappy it is...

But not all others are meant to be pocketable

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »