November 25, 2014, 07:53:55 PM

Author Topic: Alien Landscapes  (Read 14809 times)

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Alien Landscapes
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Post your best otherworldly landscapes.  This is one I just processed from a couple weeks ago...

Life on Mars by @!ex, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Alien Landscapes
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Landscapes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
cool shot
not keen on the vignette though but as usual your subtle processing looks very tidy
you should do a tutorial on your processing technique

or write an ebook and seell it for $10 on trey ratcliffs site flatbooks
http://www.flatbooks.com/

I would buy it
APS-H Fanboy

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
cool shot
not keen on the vignette though but as usual your subtle processing looks very tidy
you should do a tutorial on your processing technique

or write an ebook and seell it for $10 on trey ratcliffs site flatbooks
http://www.flatbooks.com/

I would buy it

Thanks Wombat, really appreciate it.  Interesting idea on the book, I can always use a bit more money to throw at this hobby.  I just finished writing/defending my doctoral thesis, and am writing a research grant as we speak, but maybe this winter I might have a break in writing an could dedicate some time to this project.

Also, here is a version w no vignette...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
Mmm, nice. I can't decide which is the best of vignette or not, maybe halfway in between would get my vote?
Anyway, what was it, a dry riverbed, to get that kind of erosion?

Wombat, you're from Melbourne aren't you? Ever get over to Tassie? Around Queenstown there's some insanely Alien landscapes, going back there once I get my MF body with a few rolls of Velvia is pretty high up on my list. here's an example from wikipedia.

(actually, I took some shots like that with a film P&S when i was there maybe 6 years ago, i'll have to see if I can find the negs now that i've got a proper scanner...)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »
Mmm, nice. I can't decide which is the best of vignette or not, maybe halfway in between would get my vote?
Anyway, what was it, a dry riverbed, to get that kind of erosion?

Wombat, you're from Melbourne aren't you? Ever get over to Tassie? Around Queenstown there's some insanely Alien landscapes, going back there once I get my MF body with a few rolls of Velvia is pretty high up on my list. here's an example from wikipedia.

(actually, I took some shots like that with a film P&S when i was there maybe 6 years ago, i'll have to see if I can find the negs now that i've got a proper scanner...)

It's a picture from the Badlands in South Dakota, here is the entry from wiki explaining what badlands are:

The term badlands represents a consensus in North America. The Lakota called the topography "Makhóšiča", literally bad land, while French trappers called it "les mauvaises terres à traverser" – "the bad lands to cross". The Spanish called it tierra baldía ("waste land") and cárcava ("gully"). The term badlands is also apt: badlands contain steep slopes, loose dry soil, slick clay, and deep sand, all of which impede travel and other uses. Badlands form in semi-arid or arid regions with infrequent but intense rain-showers, sparse vegetation, and soft sediments: a recipe for massive erosion. Some of the most famous fossil beds are found in badlands, where erosion rapidly exposes the sedimentary layers and the scant cover of vegetation makes surveying and fossil hunting relatively easy.

That Queenstown landscape looks very striking.  Very cool.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm in perth, I havent been to tassie but its supposed to have some great scenery I'd love to go sometime
my wife want to take pictures in the lavender fields over there in her wedding dress, I can see that being an epic shoot when we do get over there eventually :P
APS-H Fanboy

daniel-barton

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
I like the vignette-ish one better.  Here's one:

Alvord by daniel-barton, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »

Ahven

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Hey first time here, long time reader. Wanted to post a pic to this particular thread from my Norway trip last spring.

Green Volcano by Julius Koskela, on Flickr

At least the atmosphere being there was totally otherworldy :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:11:25 AM by Ahven »

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
Hey first time here, long time reader. Wanted to post a pic to this particular thread from my Norway trip last spring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahven1/7064449405/#

At least the atmosphere being there was totally otherworldy :)

Ahven, beautiful borealis, and nice composition, welcome.  Just for future reference if you click on the "share" button above your picture in filckr and copy and paste the "bb code" into your comment, it will link a pic into the thread.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
I like the vignette-ish one better.  Here's one:

Alvord by daniel-barton, on Flickr

I love shots into the sun (if you haven't already noticed).  pleasing textures.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
Here are a few of my otherworldly favorites...  the first and second are from Colorado, the third and fourth are from New Mexico, and the final shot is from Utah.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
Here are a few of my otherworldly favorites...  the first and second are from Colorado, the third and fourth are from New Mexico, and the final shot is from Utah.

Great tones and composition.  Clouds might be a bit overly tonemapped, but nice overall.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:11:56 AM by @!ex »

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Great tones and composition.  Clouds might be a bit overly tonemapped, but nice overall.

Thanks for the feedback.  Tone-mapping is always a challenge for me to strike a balance between flat/boring and highly varied...  in some cases I just say "screw it" and crank the knobs to 11.   :o  Even then I've seen pro photographers do even more intense tone mapping, so it's all on a spectrum I suppose.

Your photo is very nice as well - I like the framing and texture a lot.  It's remarkable how much of the sun is visible given the amount of cloud cover.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Tone-mapping is always a challenge for me to strike a balance between flat/boring and highly varied...  in some cases I just say "screw it" and crank the knobs to 11.   :o  Even then I've seen pro photographers do even more intense tone mapping, so it's all on a spectrum I suppose.

Your photo is very nice as well - I like the framing and texture a lot.  It's remarkable how much of the sun is visible given the amount of cloud cover.

I know the feeling about tone mapping to the extreme (check out some of my earlier work).  That said B&W really hides excessive tonemapping pretty well most of the time.  It's really only an issue in the 3rd one down and the last one.  I'd like to see a color version of the last one as well....

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »
I know the feeling about tone mapping to the extreme (check out some of my earlier work).  That said B&W really hides excessive tonemapping pretty well most of the time.  It's really only an issue in the 3rd one down and the last one.  I'd like to see a color version of the last one as well....

Agreed regarding B&W hiding a lot of tone-mapping.  Also agreed that it doesn't hide entirely well in my shots.   :-\

Here is a color version of the last one:

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »