Image & Video Galleries > Landscape

Alien Landscapes

(1/11) > >>

@!ex:
Post your best otherworldly landscapes.  This is one I just processed from a couple weeks ago...

Life on Mars by @!ex, on Flickr

wickidwombat:
cool shot
not keen on the vignette though but as usual your subtle processing looks very tidy
you should do a tutorial on your processing technique

or write an ebook and seell it for $10 on trey ratcliffs site flatbooks
http://www.flatbooks.com/

I would buy it

@!ex:

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on July 22, 2012, 07:42:53 PM ---cool shot
not keen on the vignette though but as usual your subtle processing looks very tidy
you should do a tutorial on your processing technique

or write an ebook and seell it for $10 on trey ratcliffs site flatbooks
http://www.flatbooks.com/

I would buy it

--- End quote ---

Thanks Wombat, really appreciate it.  Interesting idea on the book, I can always use a bit more money to throw at this hobby.  I just finished writing/defending my doctoral thesis, and am writing a research grant as we speak, but maybe this winter I might have a break in writing an could dedicate some time to this project.

Also, here is a version w no vignette...

dr croubie:
Mmm, nice. I can't decide which is the best of vignette or not, maybe halfway in between would get my vote?
Anyway, what was it, a dry riverbed, to get that kind of erosion?

Wombat, you're from Melbourne aren't you? Ever get over to Tassie? Around Queenstown there's some insanely Alien landscapes, going back there once I get my MF body with a few rolls of Velvia is pretty high up on my list. here's an example from wikipedia.

(actually, I took some shots like that with a film P&S when i was there maybe 6 years ago, i'll have to see if I can find the negs now that i've got a proper scanner...)

@!ex:

--- Quote from: dr croubie on July 22, 2012, 08:02:32 PM ---Mmm, nice. I can't decide which is the best of vignette or not, maybe halfway in between would get my vote?
Anyway, what was it, a dry riverbed, to get that kind of erosion?

Wombat, you're from Melbourne aren't you? Ever get over to Tassie? Around Queenstown there's some insanely Alien landscapes, going back there once I get my MF body with a few rolls of Velvia is pretty high up on my list. here's an example from wikipedia.

(actually, I took some shots like that with a film P&S when i was there maybe 6 years ago, i'll have to see if I can find the negs now that i've got a proper scanner...)

--- End quote ---

It's a picture from the Badlands in South Dakota, here is the entry from wiki explaining what badlands are:

The term badlands represents a consensus in North America. The Lakota called the topography "Makhóšiča", literally bad land, while French trappers called it "les mauvaises terres à traverser" – "the bad lands to cross". The Spanish called it tierra baldía ("waste land") and cárcava ("gully"). The term badlands is also apt: badlands contain steep slopes, loose dry soil, slick clay, and deep sand, all of which impede travel and other uses. Badlands form in semi-arid or arid regions with infrequent but intense rain-showers, sparse vegetation, and soft sediments: a recipe for massive erosion. Some of the most famous fossil beds are found in badlands, where erosion rapidly exposes the sedimentary layers and the scant cover of vegetation makes surveying and fossil hunting relatively easy.

That Queenstown landscape looks very striking.  Very cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version