December 17, 2017, 03:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Is it worth picking up the 1D-X?  (Read 15739 times)

willrobb

Re: Is it worth picking up the 1D-X?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:39 AM »
Sounds like you are having a dilemma between getting the 1DX and saving a lot of cash.

I know you have the budget for the 1DX, I am sure it would be an amazing camera for you, but if you are already happy with what you have I would hold off buying until you are needing to upgrade and have tested out the 1DX to make sure it actually fulfills your needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:39 AM »

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 06:21:47 AM »
I was very excited at the announcement of the 1D-X and I quickly put a preorder in, but I admit that I am now having second thoughts.
On the one hand a 1 series camera has always been a bit of a 'holy grail' to me and I have always wanted one.  On the other hand I am not sure it is truly worth the expense.

If you are able to work effectively with your current setup, why not just sit tight and wait until you can physically test drive both the 1DX and the 5DIII. Put your second thoughts on hold until you can actually assess a 1DX, read reviews and so on. It might seem like a long time to wait, but how fast did the last 12 months go?

Again, if your current bodies are working just fine for you and you really need that long fast glass, it sounds like you've answered your own question.

I put a pre-order in the day the 1DX was announced without any anxiety. There will be such high demand for the camera when they start shipping you could just about auction your place in the queue.

Paul Wright

JR

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 08:28:33 AM »
There will be such high demand for the camera when they start shipping you could just about auction your place in the queue.

Paul Wright

+1.  WHile my local dealer offers pre-order here in Montreal, I still prefer waiting for B&H to open their ordering but I totally agree with you, there will be a demand for this camera no matter what for a few months, so should be easy to sell if someone buy one and change their mind.

We dont talk alot about exposure in these forum regarding the 1DX but for myself I cant wait to try the new exposure system they have powered by a Digit IV!  My 5D mkII keeps messing up white balance when ever I shoot inside, and I would not call all these shots low light... 
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

leicaandi

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
There will be such high demand for the camera when they start shipping you could just about auction your place in the queue.

Paul Wright

+1.  WHile my local dealer offers pre-order here in Montreal, I still prefer waiting for B&H to open their ordering but I totally agree with you, there will be a demand for this camera no matter what for a few months, so should be easy to sell if someone buy one and change their mind.

We dont talk alot about exposure in these forum regarding the 1DX but for myself I cant wait to try the new exposure system they have powered by a Digit IV!  My 5D mkII keeps messing up white balance when ever I shoot inside, and I would not call all these shots low light...

@ JR: I used to have slight issues with the 5D2's AWB as well, whenever taking indoor pictures. However, this had little to do with the 5D2's AWB, since the same issues replicated themselves using the trusty Sony A100, Nikon D90 and the delightful little Leica M9. It had more to do with all these new energy saving light bulbs one gets these days. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different colour temperatures and so you will get different colour temperature (AWB) readings throughout a room, whenever different energy saving light bulbs are in use. The best way to get around this is to either switch to manual WB and use an external Sekonic C-500 ProDigi Color meter, to shoot in black and white or to simply fix WB issues in post-production.

kirispupis

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • CalevPhoto
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
I also have had WB issues with my 5D2 - particularly indoors.  Interestingly enough my new X10 does a bit better job in terms of auto WB.  As I cannot sell the 5D2 + 7D until I have the 1D-X in my hands several of you make a good point that if for some reason it doesn't live up to the hype IMHO I should be able to let it go for what I paid for it (or return it to the store).  I have a feeling I will not be returning/selling it though. :)

Another reason for keeping my spot in line is I have two trips planned already.  I will be in Dubai in early April (though I understand it would be a miracle to have the camera by then) and I will be in Italy in August.  Based on looking back at the 1D4 release, I believe that those who placed early preorders at US stores should receive their cameras at the end of April.  The camera will likely continue to be difficult to obtain throughout the summer.  Stores in Europe and Japan will likely have the camera by early April.  In terms of release date keep in mind that they need to release several months before the Olympics.  Most pro photographers are not going to depend on a brand new camera for one of the most defining events of their careers.  They will want to get used to it for several weeks before bringing it in the field.
1Dx2|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

waving_odd

• EOS M5
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
I called them in early November as soon as I figured out this channel, and there were already more than 50 people ahead of me.

I pre-ordered later than you did but they told me there're only 25 people in the line then.  Maybe some people cancelled?  Maybe my rep wasn't counting seriously...   ???

WHile my local dealer offers pre-order here in Montreal, I still prefer waiting for B&H to open their ordering

I also think B&H will get the very first batch first.  But AFAIK they won't put up for pre-order on website until they know the stock is coming shortly.  My experience of pre-ordering 1D IV and TS24 II with them is that the pre-order button can come and go in split of second!   :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »