Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 139308 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
I want a camera that is capable of taking more than 2 bracketed shots & more than + or - 2 stops

Simple...get a 1-series.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »

WarStreet

« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
The three axes are pitch, roll, and yaw (Google Maps' developer documentation was one of the only demonstrations that uses a camera instead of an airplane):

The 7D's dual-axis level shows roll and pitch.  The 60D's electronic level is more limited, and only shows roll.  As you can appreciate from the above graphic, yaw is not something you'd want to 'level' - it's actually part of your composition, so there's no point in showing level information for all three axes.

However, to be technically correct, the 7D does have a 3-axis level, even though only 2 axes are displayed at a time.  When you rotate the camera to portrait orientation, yaw becomes pitch (imagine rotating the camera above by 90°), but the electronic level still works - therefore, it must be a 3-axis level, able to detect yaw in landscape orientation, but not showing the data.  Conversely, the 60D only has a 1-axis level (roll is still roll when the camera is reoriented from landscape to portrait).

That was a great explanation, thanks for the info.

docrender

« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »
- 3K proprietary Canon video codec
- better CMOS readout (not every 10-th pixel, at least every second one :)
- High End Canon made PL-mount adaptor (Ok to pay $1000 for it)
- Mirrorless

OMG! I want SONY NEX FS-100!!! But from Canon... :(((

mbiedermann

« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Most of you have focused on the technical abilities of the camera.  I'd like to focus a little on its usability:
1)  Reset the selected focus point to ‘All’ by, for example, pressing the focus point selection button twice of something like that.  I believe that some Nikon’s have this feature
2)  I’m amazed that we can’t natively embedded the GPS coordinates in the pictures we make.  BTW, I don’t want to sacrifice my hot shoe for this since I take many pictures at night.
3)  I would like to be able to secure my camera (and lens by the way) using a computer cable lock.  I often shoot time-lapse photography at night.
4)  Greater than 3 selections when bracketing a shot
5)  Dual card format (SD and CF).  SD cards are significantly cheaper than CF ones which can be more performant. 
6)  I’d love it if the camera would move pictures from the CF to the SD card automatically when the CF card is getting full.
7)  A setting to automatically set the camera settings so that it can get as close as possible to the maximum number of frames per second.  When I’m looking to take a very fast burst of pictures it takes me a few minutes to tweak all the settings just right so that the camera can get as close as possible to its theoretical maximum FPS.  I know I can select high-speed shooting, but depending on my settings (RAW, Av, etc.), I don’t even get close to what I should be able to get.
8)  Provide feedback on sensor temperature during long photo sessions at night – I would like to know when I’m degrading the quality of my picture because the sensor temperature is heating up.

Michel

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
1)  Reset the selected focus point to ‘All’ by, for example, pressing the focus point selection button twice of something like that.  I believe that some Nikon’s have this feature

If you use the multicontroller to select AF points (C.Fn III-3, option 1), then one press of the AF selection button sets it to automatic selection ('all') - not much easier than that.  Alternatively, if you press and hold the multicontroller in one direction, that will toggle automatic selection on.

7)  A setting to automatically set the camera settings so that it can get as close as possible to the maximum number of frames per second.  When I’m looking to take a very fast burst of pictures it takes me a few minutes to tweak all the settings just right so that the camera can get as close as possible to its theoretical maximum FPS.  I know I can select high-speed shooting, but depending on my settings (RAW, Av, etc.), I don’t even get close to what I should be able to get.

Not something I'd find useful - frankly, if you want maximum fps, get a camera other than the relatively slow 5DII (even the xxD's manage a faster frame rate, and the current xxxD/Rebels are just about as fast as the 5DII).  Having said that, if the settings that yield a fast frame rate are important to you, have you considered registering those settings to one of the custom modes (C1, etc., on the mode dial)?  That sort of thing is exactly why the custom modes are available, and the 5DII has 3 custom mode sets.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
Most of you have focused on the technical abilities of the camera.  I'd like to focus a little on its usability:
2)  I’m amazed that we can’t natively embedded the GPS coordinates in the pictures we make.  BTW, I don’t want to sacrifice my hot shoe for this since I take many pictures at night.
3)  I would like to be able to secure my camera (and lens by the way) using a computer cable lock.  I often shoot time-lapse photography at night.
4)  Greater than 3 selections when bracketing a shot
5)  Dual card format (SD and CF).  SD cards are significantly cheaper than CF ones which can be more performant. 
6)  I’d love it if the camera would move pictures from the CF to the SD card automatically when the CF card is getting full.
8)  Provide feedback on sensor temperature during long photo sessions at night – I would like to know when I’m degrading the quality of my picture because the sensor temperature is heating up.

Michel

ditto what neuro said on 1 and 7... However I do hope that the 5D inherent the 7D multifunction button and customization where you can assign each button to a function it wasn't originally assigned so if you want your 1 shot FPS thing, you could assign it that speed mode.  I wouldn't mind dual CF slots and I could change my mind later, but I'm just not sure about different card types in terms of buffering, when you exhaust 1 card how it impacts the 2nd and will there be a lag inherent on the SD cards verse the UMDA CF you may have in the CF slot... I wouldn't find GPS at all useful, I've never fully grasped what the need of having GPS unless you are scouting locations or such... Laptop kinda lock, eh... ok... I've seen many youtube videos of them ripping out of laptops and being easy to pick off... however if it provides peace of mind, then great... 

With that said I'm not bothered about what MP it is as long as it's at least 21mp and shoots faster and has better AF such as the 7D if not better.  I dont want as strong of an AA filter that has caused the 5d MII to have the reputation of having soft/smeared images to reduce noise.  I want a native 50 ISO so the images would look even better on that setting rather than a native 100 ISO with an underexposed iso 50 which isn't much better quality wise than the 100.  High ISO i'm not too bothered about as long as it's usable from ISO 2000 and below. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

NXT1000

« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:43 AM »
I WANT IT TO TELL ME IF THE PICTURE IS BLUR.

they must be some software, that can measure the amount of blur, due to camera shake, or subject movement, that compute to a figure, which tell me if the photo is blur or not, so i can retake it, I do not want to wait until i go home and sit in front of my 30 inch monitor and find out that it is blur, i cannot go back to retake the photo.

Please japanese engineers, give me an image blur indicator. I know you are rubbish with software, just hire some american professors to help you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:43 AM »

alipaulphotography

« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

they must be some software, that can measure the amount of blur, due to camera shake, or subject movement, that compute to a figure, which tell me if the photo is blur or not, so i can retake it, I do not want to wait until i go home and sit in front of my 30 inch monitor and find out that it is blur, i cannot go back to retake the photo.

Please japanese engineers, give me an image blur indicator. I know you are rubbish with software, just hire some american professors to help you.

Not sure if this is a joke or not....

Zo0m

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
My choice as a travel photographer would be the following:
28-32 Mp
4-5 fps
ISO 100 - 51 200 (3 stop improvement)
CF + SD card slot
Slightly improved AF
Built in GPS
Durable

Price of 3000 $ Body Only
- an optional 24-70 IS kit lens wouldn't be that bad either...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:03:24 AM by Zo0m »
Nikon D800, Nikkor 35 AF-S DX f1.8G, Sigma 85 f1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 150 f2.8 EX DG OS MACRO, Tokina 11-16 AT-X PRO f2.8 DX, Nikkor 28-300 f3.5-5.6G ED VR, Nikon SpeedLight SB-910
Formerly:
5D Mark 2, 550D, 12-24, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50, 85, 550EX

Macadameane

• EOS M5
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
Pixel Binning.  If there is pixel binning it will fix moire and resolution issues for video.  I will definately get it if there is pixel binning.

Jettatore

« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »
In order.

-Better high ISO performance (1DX esque)
-Awesome Auto-Focus (1DX/7D esque.)
-Solid weatherproofing (at least as much so it can handle getting snowed and showered on a decent bit)
-Improved video capture performance (aka, clean up rolling shutter problems, etc., even further)
-Uncompressed /Raw Video Capture or Clean HDMI out (I don't mind hooking up a separate adapter when shooting video)
-Over resolution, aka. more than 1080p (not necessarily 4k) to allow for re-cropping/panning/zooming/breathing room in editing
-Ability to capture in 60-120fps frame-rates even if it requires using Clean HDMI out and an external capture unit
-Usable auto-focus in video (this is not a pro-video feature, but there are casual times when a reasonably good version of this could come in great handy at barbeques and whatnot.)  And if it is put in, I would also suggest some ability to manually over-ride it/flip it on/off, while still in shot.
-Remove Video Time-Limits (even if a fee has to be paid to digitally unlock it in the regions where that licensing matters)
-Consideration for digital adapter accessory that would allow smooth manual aperture control during shooting. (at the bottom of my list for a reason but it makes more sense than new lenses to me, though for all I know (and I don't) it may require new lenses anyways but it may not, and even still it makes more sense)
-If it's not there already and buried, a recorded measurement that tells the distance of the subject focus point from the camera.  This is useful to approximately calculate the scale of a subject which is in turn helpful in roughly estimating the scale of textures for texture artists in 3D animation projects.

So basically, an amazing, 5DII sizish body with the latest stills improvements and nothing we've come to expect missing, as well as updated generation 2 DSLR video upgrades.  Hit that mark and I'll grab one near launch.

Heidrun

« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
1)Weather sealed
2)Better iso. Low noise in iso 12800
3)35 MP or more.
4)5 fps
5)Wireless flash
6)Wireless to my mac
7)Build in GPS
8)2x CF card
9)State of the art AF

J. McCabe

« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

A former employer of mine did just that for a hand held camera application.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »

A former employer of mine did just that for a hand held camera application.

It would be great if software could assign a number an pick out the sharpest photo in a sequence.  so if you do shoot 3-10 shots to make sure you get a sharp one, it would be easier to pick out the best.

Another idea is a button on the camera to zoom to 1:1 on the point the camera tried to focus on.  This would let you decide quickly if it was in good focus/ motion blurred etc.

kbmelb

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »
21-24MP (28MP tops) of the the most perfect pixels.
AF points clustered like 7d or at least 1DsIII. Spot metering beyond the center point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »