Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 99105 times)

alipaulphotography

What do you want from the 5D mk III
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
Interesting to see what the consensus is.

Ali

www.alipaul.com

canon rumors FORUM

What do you want from the 5D mk III
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »

WarStreet

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Interesting to see the MOST wanted improvement.

Voted for FPS. But really, I need better AF too, and wish a good improvement in dynamic range.

Bob Howland

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
The alternatives in the Canon DSLR lineup need to be specified. Are we to assume that there will ALSO be a FF, 16MP pro/semi-pro body (e.g. a 1D5/9D/3D) in the lineup, designed to outdo the D3s in every respect, except possibly FPS?

gene_can_sing

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
Since I'm a video guy, I want the 5D3 to have

1) no terrible moire and aliasing like it currently does
2) 60p slow motion
3) Better video codec, preferably 50mb 4:2:2 at the least. There are rumors of RAW codec to an external recorder, but RAW is not a major concern of mine. For work we work with RED regularly, and we rarely color grade from RAW. Usually just color grade from the proxies in After Effects, which ultimately link up the source file. So for me at least, not too worried about RAW as much as a good in-camera codec.

I just hope the 5D3 or a decent video camera comes out at NAB. Canon is making me really nervous lately with how quiet they are. Sony and Panasonic are releasing and announcing all this new and progressive stuff, and it's been quite a while (last 7D) since Canon has released any cameras of merit.

Since Canon hasn't announced any press releases for NAB yet, it's looking like they won't release anything at NAB for the 2nd year in a row. That is so embarrassing and really makes us video guys lose hope in Canon who is started to get dusted by the competition.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »
Better AF, all points cross, double cross in center + zones.
16bit Raw, and the DR to make them useful (so at least +2 stops or why bother)
High ISO improvements.  ISO 102400 may be silly, but clean ISO 12,800 or even 25,600 would be awesome.
No low ISO banding

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Whatever it has, I'm sure will be fine.

All I really want is:

1. a camera that won't be outdated a month after I spend $2500 (even if I have to spend $3500 to accomplish it,

2. the articulated screen.

If I could have anything I want, I'd get rid of the damn video. I don't like them mucking up my perfectly good still cameras with video that is useless to me. If you want a video camera, go buy a video camera.

Call me an old curmudgeon if you like, but you asked!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

yeldarb

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Wasn't sure what "advanced ISO handling" means, exactly, but it seemed close to what I want.   I'm an advanced amateur and shoot a lot of candids for school and youth organizations.  I like to avoid flash to minimize the distraction of my shooting the event.   I seem to spend a lot of time adjusting ISO.   I'd like to be able to set aperture and shutter, and let the camera "float" the ISO as needed.   With the active kids I usually need a certain minimum shutter and it's sometimes handy to have more than the minimum depth of field.  Often I end up just leaving ISO set at 3200 so I don't miss any shots, but it would be nice if the camera would automatically float the ISO so that with brighter scenes I at least get getter quality images (less "grain".)
Does this make sense?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »

yeldarb

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
Oh, and maybe I'm the only person who doesn't ALWAYS shoot RAW with this camera... but how about better Auto White Balance?  Anyone?

Sometimes I'm shooting where I know I will just need to upload the photos very soon after the event.  Sometimes it's just easier to shoot JPG (or at least RAW+JPG so I have options...)

Auto White Balance seems to be stymied by the wide variety and crappy quality of compact fluorescent bulbs in use today.  I get shots within the same venue (lit by too many different kinds of bulbs) where some are massively yellow-tinted or green-tinted, requiring adjustment at the computer later.   Sometimes I don't have time for much of that.

Pre-setting white balance in these cases is usually not an option either (again due to the variety of lighting at the same event.)  I realize this is a tough one, scientifically, and the only real solution in these cases may be to use flash.  Just wondering what other think and if this is anything that's likely to be improved anytime soon.

pellemolle

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
  • No jello effect in video.
  • Much faster flash sync. At least 1/1500th of a second. 5D is _the_ portrait camera and but instead cheaper Nikon cameras can do it.

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
For marketing purposes, and to keep from cannibalizing sales from the 1D's, I am concerned that Canon will simply destroy the 5D.
They will inevitably try to upgrade an already great sensor (read: 30+mp with terrible AA filtering like the 7D)
We will unfortunately see a switch to enable video and photo from live-view. Forget what you read in the reviews praising the 7D for the toggle, it is cumbersome, it is much more convenient to enable live-view and then simply press one button for photo and one for video without having to turn a switch, wait for lcd to come back, etc.
We should all make sure to make a lot of noise that we DO NOT want an articulating lcd which will not survive the body.

What should be included:
-Same sensor.
-Updated AF.
-Updated metering.
-Smoother less tank-like body. (aesthetically speaking)
-Updated LCD. (higher rez, scratch resistant tempered glass, accurate color and brightness)
-Wireless flash control (maybe built in flash for convenience)
-Better weather sealing. (should be a given)
-Changeable focus screens.
-Auto ISO in M/B.
-Dual Digic 4.
-Faster FPS. (6-8 preferably - would result from the cpu's)
-60fps 1080p.
-Live manual control during video recording.
-Programmable button set for photo and video.
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

Prof.Canon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:38:36 PM »
As I'm rarely using the video function on my baby, I'd be happy with better AF like the 7D or 1D mk IV.
I actually don't want to spend 1,600 bucks on a 50mm L lens, which is sad to focus instantly in low light so I got me the f/1,8 lens. The AF on this lens is innately slow but it's a grudge on the 5D mk II when shooting in low light. I don't like huge tele lenses for portrait so I stick to a 50mm.
I would instantly buy the mk II if it had better AF performance even if the resolution stays the same (30mp+ would be amazing though ;D)

Damp

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
I would really like 5,3 FPS burst and better ISO performance. I want a full frame camera that shoots over 5 frames per seconds and that doesnt look like S___ like 1ds :P I agree that there is something beautiful about the 1d and 1ds but they are too big!

I actually want the 5DmkIII to be a better version of the 7D. And of course, full frame!

Damp

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »
What should be included:
-Same sensor.
-Updated AF.
-Updated metering.
-Smoother less tank-like body. (aesthetically speaking)
-Updated LCD. (higher rez, scratch resistant tempered glass, accurate color and brightness)
-Wireless flash control (maybe built in flash for convenience)
-Better weather sealing. (should be a given)
-Changeable focus screens.
-Auto ISO in M/B.
-Dual Digic 4.
-Faster FPS. (6-8 preferably - would result from the cpu's)
-60fps 1080p.
-Live manual control during video recording.
-Programmable button set for photo and video.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
What I'm expecting from 5D3 :
1] better AF system (at least something like 7D's 19 cross-type)
2] better metering and AWB
3] solid body with weather sealing and 100% OVF
4] FF sensor, obviously, with better dynamic range and no banding please
5] clean ISO 100-3200 and acceptable noise levels up to ISO 25600
6] adjustable Auto ISO limits (like lowest low and highest high)
7] manual Noise Reduction control (something like Luma/Chroma 0-20 for each ISO level)
8] 5fps or more would be nice (Dual Digic4, Tripple Digic4, Single Digic5 ... whatever works)
9] built-in wireless flash control
10] no "jello effect" in videos
11] more than 1 memory card slot (at least 1 CF + 1 SD/SDHC/SDXC)
12] better LCD would be nice (AMOLED?), could be Vari Angle (I don't mind)
13] Intel's new Thunderbolt connectivity (or at least USB3.0)
14] new kit lens (EF 24-70/2.8L IS USM?)
15] reasonable price (less than $3000 MSRP?)
FF + primes !

DuLt

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
What I'm expecting from 5D3 :
1] better AF system (at least something like 7D's 19 cross-type)
2] better metering and AWB
3] solid body with weather sealing and 100% OVF
4] FF sensor, obviously, with better dynamic range and no banding please
5] clean ISO 100-3200 and acceptable noise levels up to ISO 25600
6] adjustable Auto ISO limits (like lowest low and highest high)
7] manual Noise Reduction control (something like Luma/Chroma 0-20 for each ISO level)
8] 5fps or more would be nice (Dual Digic4, Tripple Digic4, Single Digic5 ... whatever works)
9] built-in wireless flash control
10] no "jello effect" in videos
11] more than 1 memory card slot (at least 1 CF + 1 SD/SDHC/SDXC)
12] better LCD would be nice (AMOLED?), could be Vari Angle (I don't mind)
13] Intel's new Thunderbolt connectivity (or at least USB3.0)
14] new kit lens (EF 24-70/2.8L IS USM?)
15] reasonable price (less than $3000 MSRP?)

I second that + autofocus in video and ability to rid the world of famine! Oh and deliver a superb cup of joe!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »