Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 101224 times)

endigo

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
I would like to see these features:
  • Thunderbolt Integration
  • Switchable between Full Frame and Crop (One of the Nikon cameras have this)
  • High ISO
  • Touch screen in live view to adjust focus and/or exposure (Camera Pro on the iPhone has a good implementation of this)
  • Night Vision (we can dream can't we?)

I would like to add to more features to my order please:
  • GPS for Geo-tagging (I should have the option of turning it off)
  • WiFi for wireless uploading of my images (The Eye-Fi can do this inside an SD card)

P.S. Snow isn't yellow?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
I just want a new sensor, better af system and a swivel-screen! That's all!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

alipaulphotography

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 04:28:13 AM »
I have taken nearly a half million wedding photos, and I can definitively say this is what I would like to see in the 5DIII. This would be best for my business. And, for those of you who are wondering about the "pro's" out there. I make $300,000+USD/yr shooting weddings, and that's all I do.

1. Better High ISO (low light) performance. 1 more stop would be great.
2. Improved Dynamic Range
3. Auto Setting and adjusting internal clock to timezone and time using broadcasted time signals (cant tell you how important this would be!)
4. Better auto focus
5. Built in ETTL transmitter (similar but improved over 7D)
6. Dual Card Slots, 1x CF, 1x SD. Ability to save JPG to one and RAW to another.  (in camera redundancy)
7. Slightly better weather proofing
8. USB 3.0 AND OR Thunderbolt
9. perhaps 60P vid
10. Built in GPS (for personal use, not professional)

THATS IT! I will pay $4000 for this body and pre-order 2 of them the moment they are announced.

DO NOT NEED:
-More megapixels
-Higher FPS
-articulating screen
-better AWB or Metering - C'mon guys, you should all be shooting RAW by now, and you should understand how your metering mode works. This doesn't need to improve. YOU DO.

I'm totally agreeing with you there. This isn't a sports camera. Images is what we buy cameras for so I'd hope an upgrade will take 'better' images. Megapixels don't constitute a 'better' image. New sensor that has clean 3200 ISO and improved dynamic range and auto focus points that cover a larger area of my viewfinder! Focus and recompose doesn't work well with an 85mm f/1.4 but center point works fine if I'm not shooting that shallow. I bought myself an ST-E2 for triggering flashes and also for auto focus assist in low light. A built in one of these would be great for everyone that doesn't have one already otherwise you should look at the 'yongnuo' model which is only about £80 and is actually better than the canon version.

Verifying my posts is annoying me...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:37:41 AM by alipaulphotography »

mreco99

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:21 AM »
I have taken nearly a half million wedding photos, and I can definitively say this is what I would like to see in the 5DIII. This would be best for my business. And, for those of you who are wondering about the "pro's" out there. I make $300,000+USD/yr shooting weddings, and that's all I do.

1. Better High ISO (low light) performance. 1 more stop would be great.
2. Improved Dynamic Range
3. Auto Setting and adjusting internal clock to timezone and time using broadcasted time signals (cant tell you how important this would be!)
4. Better auto focus
5. Built in ETTL transmitter (similar but improved over 7D)
6. Dual Card Slots, 1x CF, 1x SD. Ability to save JPG to one and RAW to another.  (in camera redundancy)
7. Slightly better weather proofing
8. USB 3.0 AND OR Thunderbolt
9. perhaps 60P vid
10. Built in GPS (for personal use, not professional)

THATS IT! I will pay $4000 for this body and pre-order 2 of them the moment they are announced.

DO NOT NEED:
-More megapixels
-Higher FPS
-articulating screen
-better AWB or Metering - C'mon guys, you should all be shooting RAW by now, and you should understand how your metering mode works. This doesn't need to improve. YOU DO.

Ive a sudden urge to learn wedding photography, maybe its because spring is here?

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
Ive a sudden urge to learn wedding photography, maybe its because spring is here?

Either that or the $300,000

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »
auto focus points that cover a larger area of my viewfinder! Focus and recompose doesn't work well with an 85mm f/1.4 but center point works fine if I'm not shooting that shallow.

Don't hold your breath for that one.  More points?  Likely.  All cross-type points?  Very possible.  But a wider spread of AF points is very unlikely given the limitations of AF systems.  In case you didn't know, the AF points in the 5DII cover the same area of the frame as those in the 1DsIII.  The 1DsIII has many more points (45), and many are cross-type (19), but the points on the edges of the array are no further from the center than those in the 5DII.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:29:35 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
... a wider spread of AF points is very unlikely given the limitations of AF systems.

Do you know the reasoning behind the limitation?  I could look it up somewhere I'm sure, but you probably know off the top of your head.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
Do you know the reasoning behind the limitation?  I could look it up somewhere I'm sure, but you probably know off the top of your head.

Basically, three reasons:

• Limitations on the size of the secondary mirror.  Light for AF passes through the semi-transparent part of the main mirror (most is reflected up to the viewfinder), then is reflected off the secondary mirror down to the AF sensor.  There is limited space behind the main mirror, based on the necessary geometry (i.e. the main mirror has to be at a 45° angle to the incoming light, and the secondary mirror has to be behind the main mirror and at an angle of 90° to the main mirror, so it's length is limited by the distance between the main mirror and the image sensor).
  • Distortion.  With many lenses, the edges of the frame are subject to distortion (barrel/pincushion), and that reduces the accuracy of phase detect AF.
  • Vingetting.  The AF system needs a certain amount of light to work.  Almost all lenses vignette to some degree, meaning there might not be enough light at the edges of the frame.  For example, the EF 17-40mm f/4L has >2 stops of vignetting wide open at the wide end - that means at the edges of the frame, you're below f/5.6 and AF sensors would not heve enough light to operate.

It's worth noting that none of these limitations apply to contrast detect AF, so using LiveView you can autofocus right out to the edge of the frame.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:17:12 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mreco99

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »
yeldarb, that is a excellent idea.

I'd like to be able to set aperture and shutter, and let the camera "float" the ISO as needed.

If makes perfect sense! "ISO Float" would be a real innovation (and it would be very simple to create).

It is such a great idea I can't believe it isn't built into cameras now.

Cheers

David

DuLt

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »

I'd like to be able to set aperture and shutter, and let the camera "float" the ISO as needed.

If makes perfect sense! "ISO Float" would be a real innovation (and it would be very simple to create).

Cheers

David

If onyl we could set auto-iso in manual mode...

Neuffy

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »

Cheers

David

If onyl we could set auto-iso in manual mode...

Well, Nikons can do it. Canon...not very well. More applicable to Aperture Priority than manual, but still true.

DuLt

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »
or a new Custom priority! Where you set what you want in AUTO mode!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

John Smith

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
Would like
- Updated AF, similar to 7D's. Central focus point sensitive at f/8.0 would be really nice.
- 2nd memory card slot. I prefer SDHC/SDXC, but CF would be fine as well.
- GPS. If Canon can put one in the SX230, it should be able to put one in DSLRs.

Nice to have
- Updated metering & AWB.
- Improved dynamic range, ISO & ISO control.
- Higher FPS rate.
- Autofocus in video.
- Ability to use crop lenses.
- Wireless flash control.

Object to
- More megapixels. I have far more than I need, anything more would just burn resources from memory card, through image processing, to backup. I would actually welcome a reduction in resolution, unless crop lenses are supported.

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »
For those earlier who want auto-ISO in manual mode, it's present on the 7D and I assume on newer cameras too, so Canon certainly can put it in newer cameras like an inevitable 5D3. The only snag with the implementation is you can't set exposure compensation in that mode. The 7D lacks user set auto-ISO limiting, but I think that did make it into newer cameras.

I voted for better AF, as I think it would be suicide for Canon not to do so. My guess would be a 7D like system as they would probably want to keep a gap between 5D and 1D series. If they stuck that in the existing model with maybe a few firmware features from newer models, call it 5D2N, I'd buy it now.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »