Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 100164 times)

Cooljoe57

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
What do I want most?

I want it to be released already!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
I really really really want pixel binning.  This would fix a lot of the video problems and allow others to use less MP if they wanted to without needing a smaller sensor.

transpo1

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I really really really want pixel binning.  This would fix a lot of the video problems and allow others to use less MP if they wanted to without needing a smaller sensor.

Amen.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
One thing I really want, besides for it to come out, is the 3x crop mode like they have on the new T3i. That would be really useful for artistic purposes. You could do some seriously cool stuff with that.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in-body image stabilization does't appear to add that much to the cost of a camera and would be a worthwhile improvement.  Canon are probably correct in stating that in-lens IS is a better option, however, as we all know, not all lenses feature this.  Ideally, the in-body IS would turn itself off and on automatically (with manual override) depending upon whether an IS enabled lens was attached.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in-body image stabilization does't appear to add that much to the cost of a camera and would be a worthwhile improvement.  Canon are probably correct in stating that in-lens IS is a better option, however, as we all know, not all lenses feature this.  Ideally, the in-body IS would turn itself off and on automatically (with manual override) depending upon whether an IS enabled lens was attached.

Get a sony!  However, be warned, It has been a pain for Sony users, the heat generated is difficult to disappate, and video with IS on can limit you to 3 minutes before having to shut down for 15 minutes due to overheat.

http://photorumors.com/2010/10/07/sony-updated-their-statement-on-a55-and-a33-sensor-overheating-during-video-recording/
It sounds neat, but it does not work out

J. McCabe

« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

At first I thought it might hurt sales of certain lenses, e.g. EF 70-200mm f/4 IS for the EF 70-200mm f/4 (IS-less), but then there are only a couple of lenses that have parallels with and w/o IS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
Get a sony!  However, be warned, It has been a pain for Sony users, the heat generated is difficult to disappate, and video with IS on can limit you to 3 minutes before having to shut down for 15 minutes due to overheat.

I'd have faith in the Canon engineers to implement this properly!

I hadn't really thought about video.  Not being a DSLR video aficionado, I assume that IS would help to reduce the jitteryness of videos if you are handholding the camera?   This might be where in-body IS would really shine (if implemented properly), as Canon lacks IS in their wider angle lenses.  The 24-105 and the 28-135 being the only two wide angle zooms with IS. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »

http://photorumors.com/2010/10/07/sony-updated-their-statement-on-a55-and-a33-sensor-overheating-during-video-recording/
It sounds neat, but it does not work out
Note that is for their SLT cameras, in video, in a hot place, where they are providing additional functionality not available from Canon currently. A total non-issue for normal photographic use, and even in video, you can always turn it off if needed. I moved from Sony to Canon in the past and that is one feature I do miss.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »
Hot place, as in a studio environment, and even with the IS turned off you take a substantial hit.
Remember its not about the single clip, but you have take after take without much interruption.
A Canon that goes into thermal shutdown for a few minutes every hour is an annoyance, according to that table using the cameras in question would send have the staff in a tantrum really fast.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »

I'd have faith in the Canon engineers to implement this properly!

I hadn't really thought about video.  Not being a DSLR video aficionado, I assume that IS would help to reduce the jitteryness of videos if you are handholding the camera?   This might be where in-body IS would really shine (if implemented properly), as Canon lacks IS in their wider angle lenses.  The 24-105 and the 28-135 being the only two wide angle zooms with IS.

The very How would think Canon could do better?  Sony holds all the patents and has over 20 years experience with in-camera IS, they know all the tricks.  The problem is carrying heat away.  In camera IS requires that you move the sensor, so it is hinged to allow it to move with little power, and mass must be kept very low to be able to move it quickly.  Heat cannot flow quickly thru the flexible mount hinges, and a heavy heat sink would not work either.

So, not only do we have the sensor generating a lot of power in live view or movie mode, but the IS motor generates heat as well.  Canon and the others already have trouble with heat generated in live view, IN body IS makes it many times worse.

Yes, you could just not do live view, video, or turn IS off.  But then there is no point to having it.

Cropper

« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Not in time for the poll, but here it goes :

Improved auto-focus (at least like 7D + continuous video AF)

Amazing High ISO performance

Improved dynamic range

30MP (nice round number)

In camera APS-H and APS-C crop modes

5 FPS (more in crop modes)

Ability to retain autofocus at f8 maximum aperture

And last but not least a gentle price...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:45:22 PM by Cropper »

LFG530

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

Improved dynamic range

30MP (nice round number)

I'm certain the last one is impossible with these features and not sure if the f8 thing is even possible at this moment...
If it has video AF and the 7d performance it will be REALLY expensive because it will directly affect 1d series sells (even if they still have the edge in speed)...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:44:39 PM by LFG530 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

John Smith

« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2011, 02:54:38 AM »

Improved dynamic range

30MP (nice round number)

I'm certain the last one is impossible with these features and not sure if the f8 thing is even possible at this moment...

<snip>

Canon has bodies with central AF point that works at f/8, and as far as I know the DSLRs have (at least for stills) a separate AF unit, so why would it be impossible ?

(I'm not saying it would be cheap, just possible)

asu

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »

Improved dynamic range

30MP (nice round number)

i dont no if everybody will agree wtih me, but this is my wish

1. the most important thing is Improved auto-focus (at least like 7D but i hope like D300)
2. better DR, in many things digital sensor is surpasses the film capability execpt in dynamic range, especially in 
    highlight
3. better body design, i think 7d is better in this category (you will understand if you use both camera in more
    than 1 or 2 hour
4. better noise handling in high iso (enough in megapixel race)
5. 1.3 crop option and higher fps (5 fps and more in crop modes)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »