Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 100565 times)

sb

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Yeah I hear you about the ISO 50,  I just wish they took that to the next level. For any kind of long-ish exposure in daylight, you're still stuck with stacking filters. So I'm waiting for that ISO -800 LOL :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
I believe that ISO Range and Dynamic Range are linked.  You could design a camera with a low ISO of -800,  but then the high ISO might be 100.  DSLR sensors do lack dynamic range, and many photographers are willing to accept higher and higher ISO at the expense of low ISO settings.

In a way, it makes some sense, you can add ND filters to be able to use long exposures, but you can't easily deal with low light without using additional lighting, which often totally spoils the effect you are seeking.

The obvious answer is to increase dynamic range of the sensor, but even if there is a big jump in DR, I'll bet it all goes toward giving higher ISO ratings.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
For any kind of long-ish exposure in daylight, you're still stuck with stacking filters.

Stacking?  Why?  My B+W ND #110 (3.0, 10-stop) allows very long daytime exposures with just one filter.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
My B+W ND #110 (3.0, 10-stop)

AKA, welding goggles.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:43:17 PM by bvukich »

sb

« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
LOL welding goggles...That B+W looks like a nice filter. I initially cheaped out on my filter purchases, so I ended up with a few crappy cokins which gave me so much red tint, the pictures made me nauseous.

Anyway I was looking at Lee's "Big Stopper" which is also 10 stops and about the same price, but I'm starting to question resin altogether - I wouldn't want to end up with a more expensive Cokin, if you know what I mean.

This B+W looks good though, gonna check it out. Thanks

NotABunny

« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
I'd like to believe that they can create in-camera ND filters via some kind of reduced sensitivity mode instead of an actual physical filter. It might be realm of science fiction, but could they create a software override where they simply discard X percentage of photons which reach sensor nodes? That way, they reduce exposure, thus simulating an ND filter?

It's (theoretically) possible to expose, for example, every second pixel (RGGB set) with a different ISO in order to get 4 simultaneous exposures, so it's possible to have hand-held HDR (with no motion blur or ghosting, though at 1/4 the resolution).

Here is another approach (used in the Mysterium-x sensor in RED cameras):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53692312/9/MYSTERIUM-X%C2%AE-SENSOR

HDRx is an option for extending dynamic range from +1 to +6 stops over the baseline Dynamic Rangeoffered by the camera. HDRx mode simultaneously shoots two images of identical resolution and framerate - a primary track (A-track) that is normally exposed, and a the secondary track (X-track) that has anexposure value that reflects the additional stops of highlight protection desired.
EXAMPLE: If you select an HDR value of +2 and your primary exposure is 1/48th sec, the X-trackexposure will be 2 stops faster, 1/192 sec.
The ISO and Aperture remain the same for both exposures.

Also see http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?49668-EPIC-HDR

ReyMorlu

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
LET ME INSIST...

H.D.R.  multiexposure is a must nowadays (even some snapshot cameras do it) & REFLEX too. K-5D ie.

More resolution, no less than 36mpx.

100% viewfinder! with an eyepiece shutter like elder film cameras A-1, F-1, eos1... IS IT SO DIFFICULT, again!??

Improved autofocus (all CT) even being only 15... and faster! and placed other way in example: 4 of them in Rule of Thirds strongest points.

Don't put a movil, rotating, variangle, etc. screen like newer models (most of us Hate it)

CF card cover, lock device please (it opens on and on accidentally in 5Ds)

Pro-photographers are waiting for a tull not for a toy (prosumer market) think about it...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »

autochrome

« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
LET ME INSIST...

H.D.R.  multiexposure is a must nowadays (even some snapshot cameras do it) & REFLEX too. K-5D ie.

More resolution, no less than 36mpx.

100% viewfinder! with an eyepiece shutter like elder film cameras A-1, F-1, eos1... IS IT SO DIFFICULT, again!??

Improved autofocus (all CT) even being only 15... and faster! and placed other way in example: 4 of them in Rule of Thirds strongest points.

Don't put a movil, rotating, variangle, etc. screen like newer models (most of us Hate it)

CF card cover, lock device please (it opens on and on accidentally in 5Ds)

Pro-photographers are waiting for a tull not for a toy (prosumer market) think about it...

I'm just voicing my support for an eyepiece shutter as well, for the price Canon will charge the 5D Mk.III they might as well do it, and even on lower end cameras.

richy

« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
AFAIK the 5d2 comes with an eye piece cover on the strap?

Re the 5d2 what I would love as someone who feeds their kids with their photography is

- more dynamic range even at the expense of higher iso's and resolution
- 16 bit
- same resolution
- wider af 'area'. Why bother having 'outer points' when they are so close to the center?
- less dusty - ff = dust magnet so any way it gets less dust is good.
- more Custom memories.
- less buttons on the back and a bigger, higher res touch screen in their place
- the DP button switchable to a MLU button, who the hell uses DP???
- in body IS, whilst it will be of limited help in many situations there are some primes it would help by a stop or two.
-more 'natural' noise like the 7d, the 5d2 has nasty blocky noise.

what I dont care about
-video. its good enough for home video, don't want it for any more than that. better codecs etc are fine, but dont compromise the stills ability.
- number of af points. 3-9 is enough as long as they work well like the centerpoint on the 5d2.

what I really dont want to see
- frickin novelty junk for the noobs like movable screens, lie down or stand on a chair or shoot blind, those screens are camera killers if you have to use your camera in any kind of weather.
- HDR pano sweep junk functions.
- a high speed fps. nikon make a general use camera, the d700, its pretty fast and has a decent resolution, canon make two specialized cameras, the 5d is a way better landscape cam and the 7d a better (but not by far) action cam. Lets keep it that way and not turn a 5d3 into a generalized camera.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:16:15 AM by richy »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2011, 03:54:25 AM »
I want the on-camera review screen for photographs to tell me what zoom I used to take a particular photo. If Lightroom can tell me 50mm or 62mm, so can the Camera.

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »
Out of curiousity... why do people want more AF points? I probably ask because I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed more. I usually stick to the top most or right most point when held horizontally.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2011, 04:11:43 AM »
Out of curiousity... why do people want more AF points? I probably ask because I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed more. I usually stick to the top most or right most point when held horizontally.

Because more of anything means that if you've got more of that something than someone else, then you're better off than someone else that has less. So all of the folks with 5D Mark2's that complain about "only" 9 focal points effectively have penis envy.

Seriously, in some situations it is beneficial to be able to have the camera focus on a particular point without having to do the compose-focus-recompose dance, however tripod mounting and live mode make this particular feature redundant for static subjects.

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »
I joined this forum just to reply to this thread. I'm a huge fan of the 5D Mark II and I really think it's an amazing camera for what I do. I'm a I've tried so many other bodies and this one just has the best combination of it all to offer.

Out of a 5DIII I want the following:

- 24MP+ to beat out Nikon and add even more cropping power, which is very important and one of the main reasons I love the 5DII
- Longer battery life, again I love this about the 5DII and I want more
- Low iso noise fix, at least performance equal to Nikon, that's all.
- 7D Autofocus
- Remove the 1/30th limit on live view, this drives me nuts, when shooting on a tripod
- Faster processor, maye even dual CF cards?
- A larger viewfinder (not that critical)
- Less weight  (not that critical, but at least not much more weight)
- Better weather sealing (not that critical)
- RAW video
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, espetially with the abbility to download images to a remote server

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
what I really dont want to see
- frickin novelty junk for the noobs like movable screens, lie down or stand on a chair or shoot blind, those screens are camera killers if you have to use your camera in any kind of weather.
- HDR pano sweep junk functions.
- a high speed fps. nikon make a general use camera, the d700, its pretty fast and has a decent resolution, canon make two specialized cameras, the 5d is a way better landscape cam and the 7d a better (but not by far) action cam. Lets keep it that way and not turn a 5d3 into a generalized camera.

Noobs? The 5DII revolutionized the video DSLR market. A swivel screen makes perfect sense, even for stills. Live view is much better for manual focus. Lie down? Stand on a chair? Shoot blind? Why be such an elitist snob when you can just choose to not use these functions?

And if Digic V can handle a higher FPS, then bring it on. Why would you not want more FPS? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Not when Nikon's competing FF does 8 FPS gripped, and is already a year old.

I swear, some photogs come off like they want their hobby to have more barriers to entry. It's bizarre. There are compacts out there that warn you of someone blinking during a group portrait, no need to zoom and pan to check. A buried menu function that turns on a handy beep code for this would be cool for those of us who think $3,000 should buy similar features as a $200 P&S. I want 3, 5, and 7 frame automatic in-camera HDR. I want pano-stitching. I want a crop option on my FF. I want a 300 page owners manual. For people like you, I will concede that all these goodies come "off" by default. You never need to know they are there. You can just grind your teeth and agonize over the sight of "noobs" running around with a camera that you wish only you could own and operate.  ::)
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
- wider af 'area'. Why bother having 'outer points' when they are so close to the center?

As I ]pointed out previously (closer to the beginning of this long-ish thread), there are technical reasons that the spacing of the AF points is so close to the center.  The AF points on the 1DsIII cover the same extent (altough on the 1DsIII they are more densely packed and more sensitive and accurate).  The 1D series (APS-H) does have a relatively wider spread of AF points than either the FF or APS-C cameras.

- the DP button switchable to a MLU button, who the hell uses DP???

I, for one, use the DoF Preview button - both for DoF preview and to activate modeling flash.  When I'm going to use MLU, I'm on a tripod, and there are several other settings that go along with that - timer/remote trigger, fixed ISO 100, etc., so rather than a button for MLU and still having to use the quick display to set the others, it's easiest to just set up a Custom Mode (C# on the mode dial) for tripod shooting. 

- number of af points. 3-9 is enough as long as they work well like the centerpoint on the 5d2.

I agree that 9 is probably enough for most situations.  Three is not enough, no way.  Having a denser array means better AI Servo performance for moving subjects.  Personally, I like the approach of 'invisible' AF points in the 5DII (although a better solution would be to make them selectable via a C.Fn for those who want to select them.  On the 7D, though, I only use the center point or a point on the edge, not the middle ones - and I'd rather not have to skip over them.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »