September 02, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M System Announced  (Read 23493 times)

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M System Announced
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
Excellent. Now that we can put the new toy&gadget news out of the way we (and hopefully Canon)  can concentrate on the new affordable FF body which everybody is (actually) waiting for.  Hey Canon, can we have a new cam for photography now please?
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
$200 seems "gougey", like Canon is saying "you have no choice, so pay up!"

Lol.  Ever buy a Canon-branded lens hood?!?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

I believe all the EOS flashes are compatible with the EOS-M, and vice-versa, per B&H website info.
Thanks for that - I wonder why they just didn't go with the 270EX2 for this camera - the new flash looks just like the 270ex2.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
It has potential, and as a backup camera it would still work.   Does it shoot RAW?  I'm waiting to see if the update the G line to compete with this.  I still have my initial reservations.

I do wish that the sensor was protected from dust somehow.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Does it shoot RAW?

Yes.

I'm waiting to see if the update the G line to compete with this.

Frankly, the G line is dead. The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

And look for new Rebels to all be EOS-M as well.

Cheers,

b&

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »

Oh yeah, Canon lens hoods are much worse!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Frankly, the G line is dead.

...until the G2 X comes out next year, at any rate.  The G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 on Amazon.  Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't want to muck about with changing lenses.  Just no one on this forum...

The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

There are like 20 PowerShots all within a few $$ of each other.  How does the fact that two different types of cameras have a similar price mean one is going away?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
Frankly, the G line is dead. The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

And look for new Rebels to all be EOS-M as well.

Cheers,

b&

I'm curious what Canon is planning to do with the G1 X sensor... what else is it used in?  Also curious as to how quickly the AF works -- is it as fast as the phase-detect of a regular Rebel?

Agree that the M-mount will threaten the EF-S mount.  This smaller mount will allow the lenses to get smaller/lighter.

mesa

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
How is hand-held video going to turn out on the EOS-M /w 22mm pancake without IS? It probably yields similar results as 5D3 /w the 40mm pancake I am guessing.  Canon should really incorporate IS into the EOS-M.

TW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »

Yup, and I held my nose while I did it. Big difference there, though; there are alternative sources for lens hoods. Not so for this, at least for a while, I'd say.
35+ years of Canon gear...good grief! Still have 2 FTb cameras in working order, too!

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
Frankly, the G line is dead.

...until the G2 X comes out next year, at any rate.  The G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 on Amazon.  Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't want to muck about with changing lenses.  Just no one on this forum...

The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

There are like 20 PowerShots all within a few $$ of each other.  How does the fact that two different types of cameras have a similar price mean one is going away?

The point is that EOS-M gets you a camera that's the same size as the G1 X with better specs at the same price. And there's nothing that says that you actually have to take the lens off a removable lens camera. How many people own automatic transmission cars with "sport shifting" who never put the car in anything other than park, drive, and reverse?

The EOS-M with the 22mm lens is actually a bit smaller than the G1 X, and decidedly more pocketable. With the new standard zoom, it sticks out a little bit more than does the G1 X, but not by enough to change the pocketability question. So, if you get the EOS-M, all you have to do to switch between a better party camera than the G1 X and a better photographic tool than the G1 X is swap the lens. A lot of people who never would have thought of getting a removable lens camera will realize just that due to Canon's very intelligent move of releasing those two lenses at the same time as the camera...and those are exactly the same people who would otherwise be buying a G1 X.

b&

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Yup, and I held my nose while I did it. Big difference there, though; there are alternative sources for lens hoods. Not so for this, at least for a while, I'd say.

Think of it as a $140 ef25II ext tube + a $60 tripod foot, though switching to portrait appears to be via the ballhead...

Hello Kenko

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
Does the EOS M camera have MFA?  That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
Does the EOS M camera have MFA?  That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

Doubtful, the 50D was lowest model to have it. Would be nice though.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
So... another camera where video is the big selling point?

At some point Canon needs to just drop the pretense of being a camera company and admit that they are making camcorders in camera form factor.

Thus I go 'meh'.

Name another camera that has been released in recent years by ANY company that doesn't have video added. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »