August 29, 2014, 02:06:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M System Announced  (Read 23409 times)

trowski

Re: Canon EOS M System Announced
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
Does the EOS M camera have MFA?  That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

AFMA does not apply to mirrorless cameras since autofocus is done at the sensor (with either contrast detection or phase detection).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »

Vertvorb

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
I have been waiting for something like this to come long. I am a Canon 5D mk3 owner but believe there is always a need for a small sized dslr. I currently own a 550d, but if this eos-m has similar or better performance I think I will be swaping for it. I still would have preferred to have seen a opitl veiw finder on the eos-m though.

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »

I believe all the EOS flashes are compatible with the EOS-M, and vice-versa, per B&H website info.
Thanks for that - I wonder why they just didn't go with the 270EX2 for this camera - the new flash looks just like the 270ex2.

In shape, yes, but looking at the specs page reveals a much different story:

90EX
Dimensions - Approx. 1.7" (W) x 2.0" (H) x 2.6" (D) / 44.2 (W) x 52.0 (H) x 65.0 (D) mm
Weight  - Approx. 1.8 oz. / 50g NOTE: (assuming without batteries)

270EX II
Dimensions - 2.6 x 2.6 x 3.0 in./ 65.8 x 65.2 x 77mm
Weight - 5.5 oz./155g (without batteries)

Much smaller, much lighter, still powered by 2 AA batteries (CORRECTION: 90EX is powered by 2x AAA batteries, 270EX II runs on 2x AA), can function as commander as well.  No zoom head, and much lower power flash than it's bigger brother (GN 9 @ 24mm vs. GN 22 @ 28mm).  It is even less powerful than the built-in flashes on Rebels (GN 13 @ 28mm).  Interesting offering, the 24mm and weight make it pretty unique.

EDIT: Also, check out the relative size of the hotshoe for scale, and note that the 90EX has a plastic shoe.

Does the EOS M camera have MFA?  That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

Doubtful, the 50D was lowest model to have it. Would be nice though.

Why would it need AFMA?  It is basing the focus on phase and contrast on the sensor.  Isn't the reason for AFMA that the AF module in DSLRs are not located on the sensor?

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that trowski already addressed this issue.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:00:02 PM by KyleSTL »
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »
I also like the compact and don't care about the loss of a viewfinder - we are all trained by now not to use one thanks to the iPhone.

Puzzling how you can shrink the whole world down into people who have and use iphones.

While I've seen lots of good pictures from cell phones, they are not versatile enough for genuine photography. Saturday, a man asked me to take a picture of him using his cell phone. It was overcast and I could hardly see him in the display, let alone do any kind of composing. I took a couple of pictures, and they looked like waste material at the bottom of a portable toilet. He was very happy when I offered to take pictures of him with a real camera and send them to him.

As for the M camera, Canon seems to have done it right and it looks like a useful addition for people who want to take pictures casually.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
damn that video settles it i'm definately not trendy enough to have that camera then :(  :'(

Me too!

I'm so uncool I wear socks under my shoes.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »
I've got to say that whilst I have no interest in the EOS-M body, I can appreciate that people like me are not Canon's main target audience.  My main concern with this launch is the lack of lenses announced with it.  My "hoped for" launch would have been:

• two bodies: this one and higher end model;
  • three zooms: the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (collapsible would have been nice), an EF-M 55-150mm(ish) f/4-5.6 IS STM and an 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM;
  • three primes: three fast pancake lenses.  I won't specify focal lengths or apertures, as we could all argue over this until the cows come home!

Of course, this would have been living in dreamland! In the real world, we might have hoped for

• two bodies (camera companies seem to be more keen on bodies than lenses!)
  • two of the zooms
  • one or two primes

In reality, we got one body, one zoom and one prime, not exactly a solid commitment to the system from Canon! This wouldn't be a problem, except that they're the last to the party; we weren't even given a roadmap.  What incentive is there to invest into EOS-M when micro-4/3rds is now so well established, Sony are starting to look strong, Fuji are pitching to the enthusiast, and even Samsung have a pretty good lineup.  I certainly wouldn't buy into this system based upon EF lens compatability, because we all know they're mostly pretty unsuitable for mirrorless cameras (too big and with poor AF speed).  I'm sure that Canon had this in mind when they launched the new EF 18-135mm IS STM and 'shorty-forty', but I don't think they're anywhere near as compelling (for their target audiences) on EOS-M as they are on their native format. 

Canon have now shown the hand that many people have been waiting to see before they committed to a system.  That hand is pretty weak at the moment; they need to keep up the momentum as the EOS-M system currently risks fading into obscurity once the hype from the launch is over (like Nikon '1' has).  If they haven't got anything else (mirrorless) to show at Photokina, there are going to be a lot of people buying into rival systems.  If that happens, then Canon had best hope that mirrorless is a fad and not the future, or they will have truly blown their market position. 

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
$200 seems "gougey", like Canon is saying "you have no choice, so pay up!"

Lol.  Ever buy a Canon-branded lens hood?!?

Oh yeah, Canon lens hoods are much worse!

Nonsense! A replacement hood for the 400 2.8 is only $588!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

Doesn't this thing finish up all AF with contrast detection?
There is no need or even way to give it MFA.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
and a promo vid on youtube  ;D right now 83 views....

The Canon EOS M - Small and simple EOS

Upon suffering through that video, I gotta ask: After a fancy dinner like that, did that lady at least give it up in the end ;D?

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
This is the Canon "T4i/650D-EVIL". Only thing missing is a pop-up flash, especially for the intended target group .. they will not use the hotshoe for a 580EX.  MSRP is ridiculous of course, but street price will take care of that very soon.

I will not buy it, due to lack of a viewfinder. I only take pictures with arms stretched out with my iphone, but not with a "real camera"

If Canon brings a "7D-EVIL" with top-notch EVF or hybrid OVF/EVF in fall (photokina!)  I will get that one as my second body for all small&light occasions, plus macros and for concerts (low noise).

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »

AFMA does not apply to mirrorless cameras since autofocus is done at the sensor (with either contrast detection or phase detection).

Yes, you're correct.  Brain fart of the day!   ::)

ro_n

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Did anyone notice these mountable camera grips in the italian video on 5:25 and 7:05 ?
They didn't show up on the Tech Radar video nor on the official announcement.
I think one of those would add the right amount of grip to this little thingy.

After watching the Tech Radar video I think the AF performance of this "touch me to shoot" function cannot compete.
It took nearly 1 second to grab focus while this is achieved on e.g. a GF3 in max. 2 tenth of a second.

Am I missing something?

ro_n
"Der braucht nimmer kommen, den fotografier i auswendig!" Karl Valentin

And-Rew

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
I thought this was an April Fools announcement, but apparently not.

So I've gone and ordered myself a Fuji X-Pro 1 with 35mm f1.4 lens!

Thanks for helping me make my mind up Canon. I just wish I understood what Canon is thinking of at the moment, what their game plan is - cos the more I follow this site the more confusion i see.  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »

No thanks Canon. Look forward for FF  with classic body style.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
im able to clean a sensor.. but what will the average joe user do?
grab an old cleaning rag and smear all over the sensor?   ;)

Based on the Joe users of entry level DSLR and mirrorless cameras, my guess is that "average joe user" will seldom change the lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »