September 02, 2014, 11:36:04 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M System Announced  (Read 23506 times)

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M System Announced
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
From reading all the chatter on the net about this camera, it basically looks like its a replacement for the 1100D market.

Around the same price point, comes in multiple colours and is better spec'd too.

What more would a beginner coming from p&s camera need? (especially if the rebel/xxxD series is too large/expensive/complicated for them).
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Did anyone notice these mountable camera grips in the italian video on 5:25 and 7:05 ?
They didn't show up on the Tech Radar video nor on the official announcement.
I think one of those would add the right amount of grip to this little thingy.

After watching the Tech Radar video I think the AF performance of this "touch me to shoot" function cannot compete.
It took nearly 1 second to grab focus while this is achieved on e.g. a GF3 in max. 2 tenth of a second.

Am I missing something?

ro_n
not an accurate representation,
 I think the review was so boring it even bored the camera thats why it was so slow off the mark :P
APS-H Fanboy

FrutigerSans

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
So... another camera where video is the big selling point?

At some point Canon needs to just drop the pretense of being a camera company and admit that they are making camcorders in camera form factor.

Thus I go 'meh'.

Name another camera that has been released in recent years by ANY company that doesn't have video added.

Although i agree with your general point, just couldn’t resist naming the Sigma SD1  ;D

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
So with the mount for EF lenses does the focal length multiplier stay at 1.6? Or is it going to be more than that? My FD to EF converter has a multiplier of 1.25. Kills the wide angle end...

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
So with the mount for EF lenses does the focal length multiplier stay at 1.6? Or is it going to be more than that? My FD to EF converter has a multiplier of 1.25. Kills the wide angle end...

I'd guess it depends on how they implement the adapter, if its the same as the Nikon to Canon type adapters then it will just be a small metal ring. But if its like the metabones style adapters that can also drive the lenses it will more than likely have a conversion factor of some kind to take into account due to the increased distance from the sensor.

Although on saying that for all we know they have added some wizardry into the "hybrid" APS-C sensor that can change its size as it were so when the EF adapter is on it is still 1.6 crop the same as when the stock lens is on there.

UrbanVoyeur

• Rebel SL1
  • To see and be seen.
    • View Profile
    • UrbanVoyeur.com
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Three places canon missed it:
 - No built in GPS
Trivial extra cost. The GPS accessory shown is almost as big as the camera.

- View screen does not swivel or tilt
We are supposed to hold this camera away from body to shoot. If the screen does not swivel or tilt it can only be used at eye level - not waist level, over head or off center.

- 18 MP
Really? I guess Canon's problems producing higher MP sensors at a reasonable price are greater than I thought.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:51:10 AM by UrbanVoyeur »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

I'd be shocked if the EF converter cuts down on the field of view. Canon's marketing department is smarter than that, and their engineering department is too competent to screw it up.

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »

no glass so no modifier

you should get an edmika FD-EF adapter that will fix that and you will keep maximum image quality too
APS-H Fanboy

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »
- View screen does not swivel or tilt
We are supposed to hold this camera away from body to shoot. If the screen does not swivel or tilt it can only be used at eye level - not waist level, over head or off center.

Remember these are being aimed at people that are coming from Phones as their primary source of camera.

Plus how many times have you been to a concert and seen people holding their non swivel phones videoing the show?
Its a limitation that people learnt to deal with.

- 18 MP
Really? I guess Canon's problems producing higher MP sensors at a reasonable price are greater than I thought.

Do the average users really need over 18MP?
remember the 1100D is still only 12MP so for these users this is a considerable jump. Plus 18MP means consumers can get away with relatively small capacity SD cards. You start bumping that up to 22,24 or heaven forbid 36MP and the large file sizes and future storage issues give average consumers a reason to buy the other model.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »

Do the average users really need over 18MP?
remember the 1100D is still only 12MP so for these users this is a considerable jump. Plus 18MP means consumers can get away with relatively small capacity SD cards. You start bumping that up to 22,24 or heaven forbid 36MP and the large file sizes and future storage issues give average consumers a reason to buy the other model.

At 18MP, you already need fairly decent glass to get a sharp image.  While the difference between 18MP and 24MP is academic, a 36MP APS-C sensor would need glass, the cost of which, entry level users could not justify.  Besides, how many 24x36" prints do most users make? - This isn't a camera designed to produce professional results.  I think a 18MP sensor is more than fit for purpose.  If you need higher IQ, then rather go full frame.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
You know...at first I wrote this off- saw the pics, saw it had no viewfinder or control dials...but thing is, I've always had an eye out for a capable compact camera to be a good P&S companion to my primary DSLR kit. I currently have a Canon SD950IS for that, and while it is a great convenience as a second-shooter, I've always been disappointed with its IQ in less-than-ideal lighting. I've looked at the G1X (was disappointed with IQ, size and slowness)....but if it turns out that this new EOS M offers DSLR-type quality and AF responsiveness in its package, I might actually take a closer look at it...as a potential replacement for the 950IS.

The big negative is price, though...if it were, say, $599 it would be a LOT more tempting. It's quite a high price point so it'd better deliver on the IQ and the AF to be worthy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:35:41 PM by Act444 »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »

no glass so no modifier

you should get an edmika FD-EF adapter that will fix that and you will keep maximum image quality too
I found the page on Flickr. At $165, I'd save that for a prime. Thanks anyway. Am curious about the focus confirm chip though. On an FD? Need to do more reading...

TrumpetPower, AG, thanks for your inputs.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

no glass so no modifier

I found the page on Flickr. At $165, I'd save that for a prime. Thanks anyway. Am curious about the focus confirm chip though. On an FD? Need to do more reading...

TrumpetPower, AG, thanks for your inputs.

i've got it on my 600 FD f4.5 works great and the $1400 for a mint condition 600 f4.5 is pile cheaper than buying a current 600 :) its a fun lens
it always reports exif as canon 600mm f4.5
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
You know...at first I wrote this off- saw the pics, saw it had no viewfinder or control dials

Actually, the main control on the back right is a dial not unlike that on the XD-series bodies. I'd guess that that's how you adjust aperture or shutter in Av and Tv modes...not sure how you do both in full manual -- probably hold some button while spinning the dial.

I'm also guessing that you won't really be using the dial very much with the camera, regardless. The 5DIII's automatic metering is already superlative; this thing pretty much has to be better, since it's getting a real-time readout straight from the sensor. My guess is you'll pick either Av or Tv mode based on the setting and let it do all the rest of the exposure stuff automatically, perhaps only very rarely using a bit of exposure compensation for really tricky scenes or where you want to do something weird.

Cheers,

b&

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »
In case you guys are interested, the Canon USA website now lists "Powershots" and now "EOS cameras" instead of "DSLR cameras"

Curious...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »