April 19, 2014, 02:55:10 PM

Author Topic: Preorder the Canon EOS M  (Read 6177 times)

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Preorder the Canon EOS M
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
I thought this was targeted at P&S upgraders but virtually none of them are going to want to use a prime ...

Looks like you and a lot of other people thought wrong :)

I'd price it at $599 with 18-55IS for P&S upgraders.

P&S upgraders are increasingly upgrading to smartphones :) With a smartphone you can immediately post your photos to FaceSpace, you can't do that with an EF-M or a NEX C-3 :)

As it is, it's $1100 to get one with the 18-55IS, where you can get a T4i (with flash, viewfinder, T/S LCD, better battery life, EF mount, and faster focusing) for $950 with the EF-s 18-55IS!

So what? A Rebel T4i won't fit in your pocket and a EF-M with the 22mm lens will. Besides, DSLRs are passé with the trendy/young/hip market. These people grew-up shooting photos with cell phones held at arms length, for them the lack of a viewfinder is normal. Time marches on :) :)

From Sansmirror  http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/canon-announces-eos-m.html  Canon's own positioning included this line: "...take-anywhere partner for a new breed of enthusiasts who chronicle their lives through images, without necessarily considering themselves to be ‘photographers’." I think that says it all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:13:01 AM by c.d.embrey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
Eh, when my friends and I were waiting for the official announcement to come out of this camera, we never thought it would look this ugly, it would've been perfectly fine just as a square similar to the J1/V1, but I guess Canon was a bit late to the party.

My dad and I are already pretty much done buying DSLR lenses, and we have a 1Ds3 and a 5D2. We're just looking to get the holy trinity right now ;D And when it came up that this would cost similar to a G1x that we've been looking at, but this one has an adapter for EF lenses (100-400 on a point and shoot :D) we decided to wait. But really we don't need the 22mm, even though it is quite good, and I'd rather they come out with a kit that's only for body.

Anyone else notice that Canon now has this awkwardly large price gap between $250-$700 for their non-DSLRs? o_o Like, it goes straight from S100 to G1x then to EOS M now right? OH and lastly, would it make much sense to save the $150 from getting the Speedlite 90EX and just putting my dad's 600EX-RT on it? x-x Cause if at the end of the day they don't come out with body only, I'd have to spend $800+$200+$150, and at  that point, I'd rather get like a 35mm L or something.

Thanks!

Lee Jay

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
A Rebel T4i won't fit in your pocket and a EF-M with the 22mm lens will.

If you wear gangster pants, it will.  It wouldn't fit in any pocket I have outside my ski parka.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
I am pleasantly surprised by this camera, certainly now more excited about what a pro model may include.  The price isn't terribly out of line with what I expected.  Ever since it was rumored to be APS C I assumed it would be near $1000 for a workable kit.  This camera is squarely targeted at point and shoot/camera phone upgraders who want something that acts and feels like a iphone and think a full blow DSLR is either blase or just too complicated.  Why would canon leave money on the table between this and a rebel?  It's a smart business move to price them similar, those who want a DSLR their upgrade route is clear, those that want an iphone-esque camera on steriods here is your upgrade route.  I'm toying with the idea of ordering this for my wife for xmas.  She is always complaining her t3 is too big or has too many dials.  With EF converter it would make an excellent lightweight travel option as well. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
$200 for an adapter is ridiculous.  It's basically a glorified extension tube.
It's not even glorified. I bet that other manufacturers will deliver at 50$ or less with quality fully satisfying 99% of the users.
Canon was smart this time.  They patented the adapter over a year ago.  They cover the bases pretty well, but if the adapter did not carry the electrical circuits thru, it might be possible to avoid the patent.
We likely will see a host of Adapters for FD and many other lenses.  Ed Mika is undoubtedly hunting down specs to see whats involved.

Wideopen

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:58 AM »
Ill wait.. Lets see how the first batch comes out after real world testing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:58 AM »