October 21, 2014, 06:10:01 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Hands On Via Tech Radar  (Read 7165 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS M Hands On Via Tech Radar
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »

More Canon EOS M Coverage

The folks at Tech Radar have posted a video and article hands-on of the new Canon EOS M System. It doesn’t appear that Canon has allowed any journalist to save and examine images taken by the Canon EOS M.

Early Verdict from Tech Radar

On the whole the Canon EOS M impresses. It’s a nice, solid-feeling camera that offers plenty of control to the enthusiast, without daunting its more novice target market.

We think that Canon has made the right move by using an APS-C sized sensor, and inevitably this means creating a new lens mount if the camera is to reap the size benefits of being mirrorless.

Read the entire article

Tech Radar Video Hands On

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS M Hands On Via Tech Radar
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Canon EOS M Hands On Via Tech Radar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »
That Tech Radar video is lame. For people with their hands on the camera, they managed to learn very very little about it.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:06:45 AM »
Interestingly, despite the presence of the same sensor and processor, the Canon EOS M can't shoot continuously at quite the same maximum rate as the Canon EOS 650D. It can only manage 4.3fps instead of 5fps. We will be looking into why this is later, when we get a camera in for our full review, since you might expect the lack of mirror movement in this compact system camera to enable even faster shooting speeds, not slower ones.

My guess is that the AF system couldn't keep up with 5fps with a moving subject.

But if it can keep up at 4fps and is as accurate as other EOS cameras in this price range then that's a lot better than most other mirrorless systems...

Personally I'm most curious to see the direction they take with the next EOS M camera...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:51 AM »
That Tech Radar video is lame. For people with their hands on the camera, they managed to learn very very little about it.

All their videos are super lame, they are the most soul destroyingly boring review videos ever made
i think if they got a corpse to perform the view it would be more animated and appealing.
I am not sure i've managed to make it past 30 seconds of listening to that womans voice before i cant take any more and turn it off.

at least fro and digital rev add some entertainment value into the mix with their reviews
cant wait for the digital rev review and a destruction test! ;)
APS-H Fanboy

hallwal

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »
Why is the shutter so loud when she demonstrates the 4.x frames per second?  I would've thought a mirrorless camera would be as quiet as a point&shoot.

No built-in flash is kind of a bummer, too, even though it is nice that they include an external one.

Still interested, but will have to think about it... After reading the short intro, I was ready to order.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29:33 AM »
Well at least it shows when raw is available (and not available)

Maybe I’m wrong but is this the first time Canon has announced a camera as for ‘video and stills’ not stills with video. Reading too much into it? mmmm I wonder.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »
Maybe I’m wrong but is this the first time Canon has announced a camera as for ‘video and stills’ not stills with video.

Interesting observation.

Video cameras don't have built-in flashes...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »

Nassen0f

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:51 AM »
Why is it always the lamest reviewers that get these samples?

i almost fell asleep during her unexciting review..

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »

All their videos are super lame, they are the most soul destroyingly boring review videos ever made
i think if they got a corpse to perform the view it would be more animated and appealing.
I am not sure i've managed to make it past 30 seconds of listening to that womans voice before i cant take any more and turn it off.

at least fro and digital rev add some entertainment value into the mix with their reviews

I too hate boring videos that tell you nothing that the written review doesn't.  I'm waiting for the DigitalRev video to see how well it stands up to being set on fire and throw down steps, not to mention how 'bokehlicious' the 22mm f/2 STM lens is...  ;)

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »

I too hate boring videos that tell you nothing that the written review doesn't.  I'm waiting for the DigitalRev video to see how well it stands up to being set on fire and throw down steps, not to mention how 'bokehlicious' the 22mm f/2 STM lens is...  ;)

Me too. I like Kai. Sure, he seems to clown around but that makes his reviews entertaining and he is pretty good at finding real world advantages and disadvantages in each walkabout. Obviously, he's not going to go into every last technical detail, but there are plenty of other options out there if that's what you want.

And if that doesn't float your boat, you can just admire the amazing Hong Kong streets and pretty girls he shoots.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »

Me too. I like Kai. Sure, he seems to clown around but that makes his reviews entertaining and he is pretty good at finding real world advantages and disadvantages in each walkabout. Obviously, he's not going to go into every last technical detail, but there are plenty of other options out there if that's what you want.

And if that doesn't float your boat, you can just admire the amazing Hong Kong streets and pretty girls he shoots.

i agree with all you guys. Tech Radar is a "non-review"

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
Would it have killed them to bring it outside to take a few pictures under daylight and night conditions?  What about tracking of moving subjects?  "35% less buttons" is the most meaningless thing I have ever heard a reviewer say, ever.
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
Interesting that the 22mm lens is available by itself as a $249 option but the EOS-M is not available as body only.  I don't need another prime lens and plan to use it with my EF glass with the $199 adapter. Most of us want this camera for that purpose, I hope Canon releases a body only retail box.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »

Nassen0f

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Hi
We didn't have prices at the time this video was made, but we now have the following information:
Canon EOS M & 18-55mm lens £769.99
Canon EOS M & 22mm & adapter £879.99
Canon EOS M & 22mm $799.99
Canon EOS M & 18-55mm & 22mm £949.99
Adapter £129.99, $199.99
Flash £119.99, (included in UK kit)
Flash $149.99
The camera is available from September

From the same people that made the video, so im guessing there will also be a body only option..

6950rpm

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
I know a lot of guys on here are based in the U.S. and from the dpreview preview here - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m

Because mirrorless cameras have struggled to make headway in the US, Canon is only going to sell one kit option in this market. Targeting an enthusiast buyer, the camera plus 22mm pancake will be available from speciality photo stores only for $799, with the 18-55mm zoom sold separately for $299. The company will also be emphasizing its video capabilities, which are essentially the same as the EOS 650D but in a smaller, cheaper package.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »