July 30, 2015, 04:38:10 AM

Author Topic: Another Question, Sir/ Madame, Dear Teachers and friends.= Jpeg or Raw for 50 MP  (Read 1933 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
Thanks you, Sir, Dear Great Teachers and Friends.
Yes, Sir, From now, I will shoot Only RAW by 5DSR, and All Larged File JPG. on my 5D MK II, 7D MK II and 7 D.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

I'd shoot raw for everything that is not a throwaway photo.  I shot raw on all those camera models, and find that I can reprocess those old 7D photos and have them looking much better than they did originally.

If you need jpegs, shoot raw+jpeg.

canon rumors FORUM

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
Hi Tex.
When I first ventured in to raw, I started shooting RAW + JPEG for a couple of months, I gave that up as a waste, of time and storage, I was wasting time trying to work out if each JPEG was good enough or not, then processing the RAW's into another JPEG, so storing one RAW, large fine JPEG from the camera, then a larger JPEG (less compressed than the camera) from DxO.
It was this situation that had me shoot RAW with all cameras and set large fine JPEG as an option on a button if I want something I can quickly pull on to my phone and email, don't think I've used that yet either.

Cheers, Graham.

Or do what I do and shoot RAW+JPEG.  RAW to CF, jpeg to SD.  When you get home you have both and can use the one appropriate to the end product.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Nissin Di622, Triopo TR-985, Godox FC-16, some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)

Steve Balcombe

• Rebel SL1
It was this situation that had me shoot RAW with all cameras and set large fine JPEG as an option on a button if I want something I can quickly pull on to my phone and email, don't think I've used that yet either.

For me the turning point was when the 7D gained the ability to create JPEGs in the camera from RAW files, with firmware version 2. I could now shoot RAW only in the knowledge that if I did need a JPEG I could make one at any time. It's happened only two or three times.

NancyP

• 1D Mark IV
I'd shoot RAW. The presumption is that the 5Dsr is being used for maximal image quality and manipulability. A sports/photojournalism/high volume events camera, with need for fast turnaround time - jpg.

TAF

• EOS M2
If it works for you, great. However ...

I never understood why there even is a jpeg option for high-end cameras. The only advantage I can see is for long high frame-rate shooting, where you press the shutter at 5-10 fps and keep it pressed for a minute or longer. There the writing speed could not keep up with RAWs. Maybe for news photographers that need to transmit over wireless the RAW-plus-jpeg option may be good, but jpeg then is supplementary to the archival RAW.

For anything that is not write-speed limited, I only shoot RAW/CR2, which means for me 100%. Why use a compressed, lossy file format? Makes no sense. Why not use a Holga lens on the camera? It is just about as non-sensical to me. Memory cards are cheap (compared to a 5dsr) and hard drives are also inexpensive these days. If you can afford a 5dsr, you can also get enough storage. If the RAW conversion step is too arduous, maybe the 5ds/r is not right, as it requires spot-on technique, and that means relatively slow and careful image capture.

Maybe you can continue using your 5d mkII (or which-ever camera you are using until now) for jpeg snap shots, and use the 5dsr for crafted RAW images.

To each their own, but those are my 2c. Happy shooting. Also looking forward to my 5dsr body on pre-order.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of your time is spent capturing images, and what percentage is spent in post?

Also, what is your timeframe from image capture to "use" (showing to people, publishing, whatever the final result means in your case)?

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
The only reason to shoot in RAW is to have full flexibility in post.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
I'd shoot RAW. The presumption is that the 5Dsr is being used for maximal image quality and manipulability. A sports/photojournalism/high volume events camera, with need for fast turnaround time - jpg.

Yes, but they often have a raw in case their photo is salable to a magazine or other high quality print job.  The jpeg is sometimes put out on the wire when time is urgent, but may also be treated as a proof, and the images selected then go thru the raw pp process.

A jpeg from a sporting event may be posted to online news, but the raw is used for a spread in Sports Illustrated.

canon rumors FORUM

JPAZ

• 5D Mark III
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
I never have any but a perfect exposure with perfect WB and never blow out highlights or underdog the shadows........

Whoa, that was an amazing dream!
RAW lets me expose "to the right" than pull back in post and tweak the image closer to what I want.  When I want a snapshot, there's always my iPhone.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but while some shots are right on, many are not and a JPEG does not give me the latitude I need to fix it. (Bad pun....not referring to my ancient darkroom days by the word "fix")
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM