November 26, 2014, 06:27:27 PM

Author Topic: 7D mark II battery drain  (Read 2607 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 7D mark II battery drain
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:53:24 PM »
Hmmm but there is no ML for the 7DII and likely wont be for quite some time.

Sorry, I forgot this is a 7d2 thread - but maybe there are some people with other cameras around here, too. Atm I don't see ML going anywhere beyond the 5d3, not even to the 70d.

Further, use of ML has historically used more battery power due to more CPU usage to drive all of the enhanced functionality.  So to say that gps save is a powersaving function is a bit of a "marketing" twist.

ML doesn't drain significantly more power when it's doing nothing, i.e. you have no features enabled or very basic ones like the gps powersaver which only runs a short function on camera on/off. And you're free to disable it at any time on camera boot. The things that draw power are focus peaking and generally all live view visual operations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:53:24 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:03:56 PM »
Hmmm but there is no ML for the 7DII and likely wont be for quite some time.

Sorry, I forgot this is a 7d2 thread - but maybe there are some people with other cameras around here, too. Atm I don't see ML going anywhere beyond the 5d3, not even to the 70d.

Further, use of ML has historically used more battery power due to more CPU usage to drive all of the enhanced functionality.  So to say that gps save is a powersaving function is a bit of a "marketing" twist.

ML doesn't drain significantly more power when it's doing nothing, i.e. you have no features enabled or very basic ones like the gps powersaver which only runs a short function on camera on/off. And you're free to disable it at any time on camera boot. The things that draw power are focus peaking and generally all live view visual operations.

True but if you are not going to use those functions then why use ML?  Dont get me wrong.  I'm a big ML fan and probobly use Dual ISO on my 5D3 more than without.  However since it's there its nice to have some of those other features enabled but there is a cost to doing so.

I wonder why Alex doesnt take someone under his wing to continue development when he's unable to.  Anyway that's a discussion for another thread.

I hope it does make it to the 7DII eventually.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:11:29 PM »
True but if you are not going to use those functions then why use ML?

Basic usability: key remapping, rating with a key (for cameras that don't have a dedicated button), pic review brighten/darken, ... little things, but the very annoyances Canon uses to upsell people to more expensive models.

I wonder why Alex doesnt take someone under his wing to continue development when he's unable to.  Anyway that's a discussion for another thread.

I'm seeing ML sailing into troubled waters as alex is the bottleneck and all attempts to expand the dev base have failed so far. But it's indeed off topic, and probably not worth discussing anyway as nothing can be done about it. Point to remember here: Don't expect a stable and working ML on anything but the 5d3.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:27:22 PM »
So for those that use the 7D2 with the battery grip, a quick solution until this gets resolved is you can twist the battery tray lock 90 degrees to unlock which effectively disconnects the battery.  Not so good for carrying around but if it's in your bag it's safe enough.  Maybe add a strip of tape so the tray doesnt fall out on you.

It's a sloppy kludge but it works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:27:22 PM »