November 27, 2014, 02:03:37 PM

Author Topic: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M  (Read 11894 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
More Coverage of the Canon EOS M
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
Lots of information out there
Since you have to wait until October to actually buy one, at least you can kill some time reading about it.

From CNET

Overall, the EOS M, with its slim form factor and large image sensor, would likely appeal to compact upgraders looking for dSLR-like quality minus the bulk as well as dSLR, users who have already invested in a stable of Canon glass.

Read more at CNET

From Digital Camera Info

The EOS M is a camera for the masses, a simple-to-use interchangeable lens camera that won’t intimidate, but doesn’t skimp on the components or build quality. Its similarity to the Canon T4i is going to make for some tough buying decisions for many people in the sub-$1000 camera market; for just $799.99 this October, you can likely get all of the T4i’s performance in a smaller package.

Read more at Digital Camera Info

cr

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:31:26 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

More Coverage of the Canon EOS M
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
$799 with the 22/2 eh?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
Yup. It's a Rebel in a PowerShot body, and it won't be all that much longer before all the Rebels have been merged into the EOS-M line, as well as the G-series PowerShots.

Look at all the specs, and the only meaningful thing any of the Rebels have that this doesn't is the viewfinder. And the only Rebel buyers who actually prefer the viewfinder are starving students and penny pinchers. Anybody who actually uses a viewfinder knows that the Rebel viewfinders are dollhouse coke bottles and would only use a Rebel if there wasn't any other option.

Well, I suppose there's another thing you can get in some Rebels that this first EOS-M doesn't have: an articulating screen. But that'll come soon, I guarantee you....

Cheers,

b&

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
Yup. It's a Rebel in a PowerShot body, and it won't be all that much longer before all the Rebels have been merged into the EOS-M line, as well as the G-series PowerShots.

Look at all the specs, and the only meaningful thing any of the Rebels have that this doesn't is the viewfinder. And the only Rebel buyers who actually prefer the viewfinder are starving students and penny pinchers. Anybody who actually uses a viewfinder knows that the Rebel viewfinders are dollhouse coke bottles and would only use a Rebel if there wasn't any other option.

Well, I suppose there's another thing you can get in some Rebels that this first EOS-M doesn't have: an articulating screen. But that'll come soon, I guarantee you....

Cheers,

b&

An articulating screen on a compact? I suspect, mirrorless or not, that will have to be as big as a G-series . . . I doubt canon will ever get rid of all of the current-sized rebels; they'd be turning away at least some people that either want a camera that's easier to hold or people that want the look/feel of a 'pro' camera.

Well played, though, Canon.  If the IQ truly ends up as good as a T3i/T4i, then your price point is right.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
799 + the lens works for me. What does the T4i and G1X cost and you still
Get an awesome compact camera! Yea t4i has viewfinder and the swivel screen. G1x I don't know much about it but I'd rather have eos-m with lenses. I had a G9 and while I liked it I got more fun from bigger sensors and interchangeable lenses.  I really want this camera, wonder if I can freeze myself and have someone thaw me out come October, thus reducing the wait time to instant.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
No swivel screen is the biggest let-down. Otherwise it's probably a great little video camera

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »
An articulating screen on a compact? I suspect, mirrorless or not, that will have to be as big as a G-series . . . I doubt canon will ever get rid of all of the current-sized rebels; they'd be turning away at least some people that either want a camera that's easier to hold or people that want the look/feel of a 'pro' camera.

But that's essentially what the Rebels will wind up being: G-series-style bodies with an EOS-M mount and an articulating screen. You get the bigger camera that looks like a pro camera, but with all the advantages of the compact format. And the prosumer G-series gets an ego boost by being part of the new high-end series.

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this is priced exactly the same as the G1 X. And I can't think of a single reason why I'd personally choose a G1 X over the EOS-M.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this is priced exactly the same as the G1 X. And I can't think of a single reason why I'd personally choose a G1 X over the EOS-M.

Actually, I can only think of one reason I'd buy any camera sized in between the most compact of high-end P&S (S100, Sony RX100) and a full-on dSLR - diving without the exhorbitant cost of a full dSLR housing and port(s).  The combination of the G1 X and the WP-DC44 gets you an APS-C sized sensor down to 130' and costing $1K.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »

Actually, I can only think of one reason I'd buy any camera sized in between the most compact of high-end P&S (S100, Sony RX100) and a full-on dSLR - diving without the exhorbitant cost of a full dSLR housing and port(s).  The combination of the G1 X and the WP-DC44 gets you an APS-C sized sensor down to 130' and costing $1K.

Fair 'nuff...but I think you'd agree that submersible $1K APS-C is such an extreme niche market that it doesn't even vaguely register on Canon's marketing's consciousness....

b&

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
...I think you'd agree that submersible $1K APS-C is such an extreme niche market that it doesn't even vaguely register on Canon's marketing's consciousness....

Absolutely.  But as I pointed out elsewhere, the G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 offerings on Amazon, which I expect points to a solid market for a high-end fixed-lens camera, and that rings a loud bell in Canon's marketing's consciousness...

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
...I think you'd agree that submersible $1K APS-C is such an extreme niche market that it doesn't even vaguely register on Canon's marketing's consciousness....

Absolutely.  But as I pointed out elsewhere, the G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 offerings on Amazon, which I expect points to a solid market for a high-end fixed-lens camera, and that rings a loud bell in Canon's marketing's consciousness...

So, how long before you get bored with your newest toy and feel the need for one of these in the bag neuro? :D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
So, how long before you get bored with your newest toy and feel the need for one of these in the bag neuro?

Not long at all, in a geologic time frame.  At least for now, I still don't get this whole mirrorless thing, any more than the G1 X.  Neither the G1 X nor the EOS M are 'pocketable' for me (I don't think fitting into a cargo pocket in my oversized winter coat counts).  If it can't fit in a regular pocket, I might as well bring my 1D X...

roger1

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
No swivel screen is the biggest let-down. Otherwise it's probably a great little video camera
That's the deal breaker on this camera for me.

I like the G1X but I want wider and more telephoto capability than that camera has.

Give me the mirrorless with a 3" swivel screen and optional EF-M 10-22 and EF-M 55-200 lenses, then I think I might be a buyer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
Hmm.  Holding one of these are arms length with my 300 2.8 attached, I likely still cant see the screen with reading glasses on!  How long could I hold that?  ;)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
I'm still looking for a small form factor large sensor camera with aps-c sized sensor and P&S type lens.
So far, the G1X is the closest.  I've looked at the interchangable lens cameras, the lens sticks out too far, and my large fingers cannot feel or press the tiny controls.  The touch screen might work better for me.
I reviewed several of the small mirrorless cameras again today.  I also looked at the small sensor ones like the J1, V1, RS100 and did not see them working for me.
I'm sticking with my G11 until something comes along that I like better, I do not like the G11 for the small controls, but it was the best I could come up with.
Maybe a G13 with 1 inch sensor and touch screen ... Nah.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »