August 23, 2014, 02:57:34 PM

Author Topic: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M  (Read 11119 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
So, how long before you get bored with your newest toy and feel the need for one of these in the bag neuro?

Not long at all, in a geologic time frame.  At least for now, I still don't get this whole mirrorless thing, any more than the G1 X.  Neither the G1 X nor the EOS M are 'pocketable' for me (I don't think fitting into a cargo pocket in my oversized winter coat counts).  If it can't fit in a regular pocket, I might as well bring my 1D X...

So, with global warming speeding all of that stuff up, it's any day now then :D

Wow, the G-series is bigger than I originally thought; the eos-m size would be great for a G . . . but with lens I guess people would be wondering about what is in your pocket.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
Neither the G1 X nor the EOS M are 'pocketable' for me (I don't think fitting into a cargo pocket in my oversized winter coat counts).  If it can't fit in a regular pocket, I might as well bring my 1D X...

That's exactly how I feel, except that I'd substitute the 5DIII with the Shorty McForty for the 1D X. At least the 5DIII + 40 looks at first glance like a slightly oversized G1 X, and they're roughly equally pocketable, when it comes down to finding an actual pocket they'll actually fit into.

b&

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
Hmm.  Holding one of these are arms length with my 300 2.8 attached, I likely still cant see the screen with reading glasses on!  How long could I hold that?  ;)

I don't see putting my 200 2.0 or 70-200 2.8 on it but it may be a good match for my 8-15 fisheye or 24-70 2.8
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

Flake

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Well, I suppose there's another thing you can get in some Rebels that this first EOS-M doesn't have: an articulating screen. But that'll come soon, I guarantee you....
An articulating screen on a compact? I suspect, mirrorless or not, that will have to be as big as a G-series . . . I doubt canon will ever get rid of all of the current-sized rebels; they'd be turning away at least some people that either want a camera that's easier to hold or people that want the look/feel of a 'pro' camera.

But that's essentially what the Rebels will wind up being: G-series-style bodies with an EOS-M mount and an articulating screen. You get the bigger camera that looks like a pro camera, but with all the advantages of the compact format. And the prosumer G-series gets an ego boost by being part of the new high-end series.

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this is priced exactly the same as the G1 X. And I can't think of a single reason why I'd personally choose a G1 X over the EOS-M.

Cheers,

b&

Well I can give you a few!  The lens on the G1X is really high quality, according to some reviewers it's as good as an L grade lens, so unless the EOS-M lenses are at least as good then the G1X will be the better camera.
Then there's the fact that it collapses so the camera is a lot smaller for carrying around.  Or the focal length equivalent to 28 -112mm the M 17 - 55mm (27 - 88mm) is already massively larger and misses out the extra reach!

No one really knows yet how the touch screen interface will be received, the NEX has an appalling set of controls still not fantastic after the update.

Battery life has questions especially with EF lenses attached.

If those niggles are cleared then it will undoubtedly have a better AF than the G1X, but will people adopt a product smaller than the DSLR?  perhaps they will but it might need to be sold to them.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
So, how long before you get bored with your newest toy and feel the need for one of these in the bag neuro?

Not long at all, in a geologic time frame.  At least for now, I still don't get this whole mirrorless thing, any more than the G1 X.  Neither the G1 X nor the EOS M are 'pocketable' for me (I don't think fitting into a cargo pocket in my oversized winter coat counts).  If it can't fit in a regular pocket, I might as well bring my 1D X...

on a rapid strap the 1Dx is going to be more comfortable too than trying to cram anything but a true compact into your jeans pocket
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
The lens on the G1X is really high quality, according to some reviewers it's as good as an L grade lens

Interesting, then, that Canon's technical spokesman, Chuck Westfall, characterized the performance of the G1 X's lens as being similar to the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.  I haven't read reviews suggesting that lens delivers IQ equal to L-series lenses...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
The lens on the G1X is really high quality, according to some reviewers it's as good as an L grade lens

Interesting, then, that Canon's technical spokesman, Chuck Westfall, characterized the performance of the G1 X's lens as being similar to the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.  I haven't read reviews suggesting that lens delivers IQ equal to L-series lenses...

The MTF curves of the two new lenses are on Canon's Web site, and they look quite encouraging. At the least, they shouldn't be any worse than the Shorty McForty -- and that's already a damned high standard for a cheap consumer lens.

Cheers,

b&

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
If you pre-order an EOS-M today, you will get it before your April pre-ordered 1D X :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
I was thrilled about this new system until I read that this system will never be able to have a Full Frame sensor because of the size of the EOS-M mount.
That is a huge let down for me and a total bummer. It looks like i'll either be going with a D600 and 24-70, or hopefully a FF NEX or Fuji get's announced soon and makes my bag a little lighter.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
oh my god I just noticed something!

canon have finaly released a centerpinch lens cap!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-M-22mm-f-2-STM-Lens-Review.aspx
 :o
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
... the Shorty McForty -- and that's already a damned high standard for a cheap consumer lens.

Agreed - I'm quite pleased with the IQ of the 40/2.8.  I can walk around with the 70-200 II on a BR strap and the pancake lens in my pocket, then if I need wider, disconnect the body and let the white zoom lens hang from the strap, with the body + 40/2.8 held by the E1 handstrap.  If I can juggle that combo and a pair of daughters, it's a winner in my book!

oh my god I just noticed something!

canon have finaly released a centerpinch lens cap!

That was the very first thing I noticed when the images hit CR the other day!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »
Wow the G1X is bigger and heavier than the eos-m, didn't realize G1X was as big as it was! Given it has extra focal length but wow well over a pound in weight! G series got beefy since I owned G9! Eos-m is still winning for me I like the idea of a 22mm f2 lens for walk around!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
Although it seems nice to have smaller and lighter, some of those of us, particularly those with large hands, find it easier to hold full frame cameras. Myself, I find that the point-and-shoots are too small to hold properly and as a result, when I press the shutter, the camera moves. Not a problem with "real sized" Canons, Nikons, and even the Olympus 4/3 cameras.... but micro 4/3 cameras and point/shoots and PARTICULARLY I-phones can not be held steady in my hands.... the same hands that can track the space station through an 800mm lens!

I love the promise of mirrorless but until they arrive at a balanced body that I can hold properly, I'll stick to my DSLR's.
The best camera is the one in your hands

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
Wow the G1X is bigger and heavier than the eos-m, didn't realize G1X was as big as it was! Given it has extra focal length but wow well over a pound in weight! G series got beefy since I owned G9! Eos-m is still winning for me I like the idea of a 22mm f2 lens for walk around!

And this, gentle readers, is why the mirrorless design is going to take over the top end of the PowerShot line. It already beats the G1X in every spec and costs the same price.

And every Rebel from here on out will be EF-M as well, of course. It's a no-brainer, really. What, you think Canon will introduce a new entry-level removable-lens camera that can't take the same lenses as their latest-and-greatest entry-level removable-lens camera?

Goodbye PowerShot G, goodbye Rebel, hello mirrorless.

(The XD won't see mirrorless for a loooooooooooooooooong time, of course....)

b&

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »
Another thing I remembered was how I was never satisfied with my G9 I bet I'd feel the same with the G1X. Can't get the results I wanted as easily with a dslr. Now the eos-m isn't a dslr since no viewfinder and whatnot, but then I thought gosh I sure love taking photos with my iPhone, so maybe the eos-m will feel like an iPhone with a awesome sensor and lens options!!! I am really sold just on that notion!! I suppose I too was hoping for an AE-1 but digital but dangit this little eos-m is quickly stealing my heart!! So like trumpet said bye bye G series, never again will I be attracted to you, and same goes to the S95 and S100! I think my 50 and 40d will have a new friend!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras