September 30, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

Author Topic: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M  (Read 11380 times)

Gman

Re: More Coverage of the Canon EOS M
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »
Wow the G1X is bigger and heavier than the eos-m, didn't realize G1X was as big as it was! Given it has extra focal length but wow well over a pound in weight! G series got beefy since I owned G9! Eos-m is still winning for me I like the idea of a 22mm f2 lens for walk around!

And this, gentle readers, is why the mirrorless design is going to take over the top end of the PowerShot line. It already beats the G1X in every spec and costs the same price.

And every Rebel from here on out will be EF-M as well, of course. It's a no-brainer, really. What, you think Canon will introduce a new entry-level removable-lens camera that can't take the same lenses as their latest-and-greatest entry-level removable-lens camera?

Goodbye PowerShot G, goodbye Rebel, hello mirrorless.

(The XD won't see mirrorless for a loooooooooooooooooong time, of course....)

b&

Maybe it will take over the top end of the G type series for folks who need the extra IQ a plethora of lenses and maybe it's going to be a G1X killer but for some of us who dont want to have to carry a camera bag it doesn't fit the bill and surely wont replace the Gxx format. Not all of us want to travel with an EOS M body however small and light, plus lenses, plus a flashgun and have something that even with a pancake lens is no longer pocketable. Not only that where's the articulated screen gone?

No, I think that this will replace the G1X but not the Gxx series. The G1X was an aberration that might serve some but it's bulkier and heavier now than both the EOS M and the G12. Surely the intro of the EOS M line will mean that Cannon must have a G12 sucessor in the pipeline even if it's called G 12a or G14 that will be announced at Photokina? Anyway isn't it a bit strange that the EOS M has been announced now but not available until mid October?

I put my G11 down next to an Oly OMD EM5 the other day and the body itself is smaller than my G11 but as soon as you pop a lens on it the advantage of a compact like the G11 or G12 is lost. I just dont want to carry loads of lenses around anymore. I am hooked on having a decent zoom that fit's most of my needs and a camera with decent IQ that I can travel with despite the baggage restrictions enforced on us by most airlines. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »
What do you mean by "Wait until October to buy one"?

Shouldn't it be "If you're lucky then they'll be in stores for the holiday season shopping"? (Or Christmas shopping if you're not in North America.)

6950rpm

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
In the UK, it looks like there will be 2 different kits...

EOS M + 22mm F/2 in black which also comes with the EF / EF-S adapter

or

EOS M + 18-55 (seems to be available in red, white or silver)

Both kits come boxed with the 90EX flash.

Interview with a Canon chap here at 2:12 says that "looking at the feedback so far, seeing if a viewfinder option would be worth doing"

lsman38

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
They all have their shortcoming.
G1X has slow AF and weak on macro (gone are the food snap on vacation)
I hope I am wrong, but
EOS M most likely will have this unbearable slow AF (big disappointment to users with expectation of DSLR), and without a internal flash(extra cost for US, and extra piece means size and weight), it won't be as easy as a P&S.

The system look very close to NEX3 (which interface takes a lot to work with. I am sure some users may find it fit but not to me as a Canon DC/DSLR user). So a NEX3 with better user interface (touch screen) and worse focus speed works? no.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »
Wow the G1X is bigger and heavier than the eos-m, didn't realize G1X was as big as it was! Given it has extra focal length but wow well over a pound in weight! G series got beefy since I owned G9! Eos-m is still winning for me I like the idea of a 22mm f2 lens for walk around!

And this, gentle readers, is why the mirrorless design is going to take over the top end of the PowerShot line. It already beats the G1X in every spec and costs the same price.

And every Rebel from here on out will be EF-M as well, of course. It's a no-brainer, really. What, you think Canon will introduce a new entry-level removable-lens camera that can't take the same lenses as their latest-and-greatest entry-level removable-lens camera?

Goodbye PowerShot G, goodbye Rebel, hello mirrorless.

(The XD won't see mirrorless for a loooooooooooooooooong time, of course....)

b&

Interesting, maybe rebels will be ef-m mount.  Maybe the beginning of the end for ef-s has arrived?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Interesting, maybe rebels will be ef-m mount.  Maybe the beginning of the end for ef-s has arrived?

Think about it: what is there that a camera with an EF-S mount can do that one with an EF-M can't? Have an optical viewfinder. What can an EF-M mount camera do that an EF-S mount can't? Use EF-M lenses and be really small and lightweight. For the Rebel crowd, the latter is going to trump the former by a huge margin -- and, for the remainder, there's always the ##D and above (which is where you have to go to get a useable viewfinder in the first place).

Cheers,

b&

hmmm

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
Ok gang... all well and good... but can we move along to 70D and 7DmkII rumors now, please?   8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
Ok gang... all well and good... but can we move along to 70D and 7DmkII rumors now, please?   8)

I hear the 70D will have a 300 megapickle 4" x 5" sensor and do 60 FPS -- and cost $250,000. The 7D, on the other hand, will be a Brownie replica and ship with four free rolls of film. And it'll be a bargain at only $8,000 with the kit coke-bottle lens.

I know, it sucks, but, hey -- what're ya gonna do?

b&

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »

Think about it: what is there that a camera with an EF-S mount can do that one with an EF-M can't? Have an optical viewfinder. What can an EF-M mount camera do that an EF-S mount can't? Use EF-M lenses and be really small and lightweight. For the Rebel crowd, the latter is going to trump the former by a huge margin -- and, for the remainder, there's always the ##D and above (which is where you have to go to get a useable viewfinder in the first place).

Cheers,

b&

That doesnt make alot of sense to me, for a an entry level SLR to use an EF-M mount you'd need to get rid of the mirror to allow for the smaller flange distance anmd then its no longer an SLR.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

Cheers,

b&

That doesnt make alot of sense to me, for a an entry level SLR to use an EF-M mount you'd need to get rid of the mirror to allow for the smaller flange distance anmd then its no longer an SLR.

Exactly. There won't be any more entry-level DSLRs, just entry-level interchangeable-lens cameras, and those will be EOS-M. No more PowerShot G, no more Rebels, just EOS-M. There'll be a top-of-the-line EOS-M model, and then the next step up will be the 70D (or whatever).

Cheers,

b&

Gman

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:28 AM »
What really gets me is that they have waved the carrot under our nose so that those of us have decided that we have given up waiting for the next Gxx whatever that might be or not as the case may be but we still cant get our hands on one for three months!
When Apple eventually releases something you can bet that stacks of it will be waiting in the shops ready to be snapped up by all those who have been salivating over the rumours.
Here we have the rumour made real but we still cant get our hands on one. What's the point? Is it to hold onto Canon customers while Canon get their darned factory moving and not move over to what's already available from the likes of Sony and Olympus?

ajax

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
So do I cancel my pre-order for the t4i-18-135-which appears that it will not arrive before October-and pre-order the M?  Which will arrive first? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »